ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO cooper s v's 197 test.

The specs for the 207 GT 150 are out and that's heavier than the 197 by c.100kgs. The GTi can only be more

Just found this http://www.autozine.org/html/Peugeot/207.html the GTi is going to be a real kick in the b****cks for the 197.

It will weight around 1240 KG all in. With bags more toque.

If it can handle & turn in some descent mpg. The old King maybe returned, but this time with a turbo.

Any idea of pricing for the 207 Gti ?

Turbos.
I think the biggest shooting themselves in the foot that Renault have done is making the 197 the same price as the Cooper S, its more expensive than the 182 without seemingly being able to bring anything new to the plate.

Worth noting that you won't get a discount on the Cooper Swhereas you will for the Clio. The Mini will cost at least £2k more to get a worthwile spec in any case.

I believe the 197 justifies it's cost, because overall it is a much better car. The interior and overall quality exceeds the 182s massively. I am personally not bothered about it being a little slower, but i appreciate a typical boy racer considers it very important.

Renault have made an omission there, but then lets not forget the 197 doesn't account for many Clio sales, so do they really care?

Worth noting that you won't get a discount on the Cooper Swhereas you will for the Clio. The Mini will cost at least £2k more to get a worthwile spec in any case.

I believe the 197 justifies it's cost, because overall it is a much better car. The interior and overall quality exceeds the 182s massively. I am personally not bothered about it being a little slower, but i appreciate a typical boy racer considers it very important.

Renault have made an omission there, but then lets not forget the 197 doesn't account for many Clio sales, so do they really care?

I priced up a cooper s when I bought my 182, it was easy to push the price towards 20k with a few 'must have' options.

The 197 should exceed the 182's performance. If it does not it is a step backwards.

The 197 is the flagship of the clio range and will influence sales of clios at all levels.

Nissan 350Z
A few people seem to keep saying "but the 197 is a much better car".

Define better.

OK its bigger, more comfy and higher quality.

But its slow and lacking the fun of the old one.

Its missing the point. Anyone who wants a quality car isnt going to buy a Renault, and by losing the very essence of what makes the mk2 RS so desirable (fun factor, pace, price), who does this car actually appeal to now?

MINI JCW
A few people seem to keep saying "but the 197 is a much better car".

Define better.

OK its bigger, more comfy and higher quality.

But its slow and lacking the fun of the old one.

Its missing the point. Anyone who wants a quality car isnt going to buy a Renault, and by losing the very essence of what makes the mk2 RS so desirable (fun factor, pace, price), who does this car actually appeal to now?

Couldnt agree more, If I wanted a quality hot hatch Id buy a Golf GTI

Yeah I know having driven a 225 on three seperate occasions, the only problem is the distinct lack of a vocal character, basically a tuneless blare. Its one thats going to run and run and IMHO I think the performance N/A hatch days are numbered. The modern car requires oodles of safety, safety= weight. I honestly cant see where the weight can be saved with a so called 'cup' model. Renault are genuinely going to have to revise the engine again and make its a genuine 100BHP no ps per litre as a starting point. However you have to take Renaults claimed kerb weight with a pinch of salt. I for one dont believe its down entirely to underperforming engines, add in weight in excess of the claimed and it makes more sense. So perhaps renault can shave weight off, thin glass , ally bonnet perhaps, who knows. I know one thing for 100%certain I will not buy the 197 in its current guise.

Change of heart ?

After a 2nd test drive yes