ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Evo road test-197 vs trophy

Nissan 350Z
It is the end of the story, as far as I'm concerned.

We dont have any choice in the matter. If we dont like it, then its tough shite, because its here to stay. That doesnt mean to say that I will get to like it, or that anyone who presently likes the 182 will come to like this. I think some will. I think it will probably sell fairly well. It will probably become known to be class leading like ours was / is....

The fact remains though, its big, its heavy, its more grown up, and its ugly. This is what the hot hatch has grown into. If you dont like that fact (and I am the first to admit that I am one such person) then its time to either keep the car you are happy with, or move onto proper sports cars.

If I want something better built and more refined, fast, and good handling, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'll buy a beemer second hand, 3 year old 330 Ci is around the same price, and is better all round than the 197.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
pbirkett said:
It is the end of the story, as far as I'm concerned.

We dont have any choice in the matter. If we dont like it, then its tough sh*te, because its here to stay. That doesnt mean to say that I will get to like it, or that anyone who presently likes the 182 will come to like this. I think some will. I think it will probably sell fairly well. It will probably become known to be class leading like ours was / is....

The fact remains though, its big, its heavy, its more grown up, and its ugly. This is what the hot hatch has grown into. If you dont like that fact (and I am the first to admit that I am one such person) then its time to either keep the car you are happy with, or move onto proper sports cars.

If I want something better built and more refined, fast, and good handling, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'll buy a beemer second hand, 3 year old 330 Ci is around the same price, and is better all round than the 197.

Yet you bought a 1*2 and are saying the same things now about the 197 that Williams / 16v and 5 turbo owners have been saying about the 1*2 for years.

More refined, heavier, less steering feel, less fun, but more power, which happens to be more peaky, this making a less driveable engine.

I sense a certain irony, but i fear it will be lost on most cliosporters. Ahh, gotta love those blinkered single make forums.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
'Bout time we restricted 'our club' to comments from members only IMO. Too many Forum Users really!

Rob669

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Rob669 said:
Great review, but I can't quite understand why that Williams is on a P plate? Really looking forward to next edition of Evo though, it should be a classic and one to keep!

Cheers, Rob669

It was late registered....you obviously have'nt swatted up on forum history;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
pmsl

Dunno about that:clown: I've heard he has a rare case of 'Clio Williams OCD' though;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I dont trust people who like french cars with gold wheels. This guy sounds about as popular as wasp at a picnic.

Renault 182
Like Ive said previous their are plenty of cars which should of been their but werent, for example the the original mini cooper, 106 gti, 172 cup the list is endless, so theirs no point in going on... I think this should of been their etc etc.

They had 15 places to fill and they tried to choose a wide base of manufactures, which I personally think they did a good job of...all cars were different in their own way

Plus evo have to cater for a wider audience than just renault fans...wouldnt of been a good read if the whole test consisited of a clio williams, 172cup, 182 cup, 182 trophy, 197 which I think you will see reflected in the results.

In relation to the 197 it is a perfectly good car, but when your comparing it to the trophy...I just think renault hit the nail on the head and its a bridge to far for any of its competitiors. It was a hard act to follow from the trophy.

106 GTi
Gareth Rallye said:
Like Ive said previous their are plenty of cars which should of been their but werent, for example the the original mini cooper, 106 gti, 172 cup the list is endless, so theirs no point in going on... I think this should of been their etc etc.

Evo wanted a 106 GTi but the one being supplied dropped out at the last minute, I had a phone call on the morning of the shoot asking if I knew of anyone with a bog standard one that could get to Bedford for that afternoon!

As for the 172 Cup no point as we know the Trophy is the pinnacle of the Mk2 Sport range so no point! ;)

Clio 172 mk2
The Trophy is regarded as the best/most developed of the newer 172/182 derivatives so I can see why it there.

Completely understand that if there are 15 places to fill then some great cars and classics have to miss out....much be hard to choose a line up.

Turbos.
They have to think what attracts the readers, why praise the Trophy and then not use it?

I read Autocar's small review today. They talked about how good the seats were and the improved engine note....it got a rave review. Can't wait to read EVO!

Nissan Pulsar N14 SSS
Hi Dudes,

Don't get upset about progress.. The RS197 is hot and real hot to boot - if Porsche was to build a hot-hatch - it would be the 197, not the 182...

The 182 is too small and ugly (got a side profile that only a mother could love)...

Bring on my 197 - the future is here...

D

dick

RSCLIO197 said:
Hi Dudes,

Don't get upset about progress.. The RS197 is hot and real hot to boot - if Porsche was to build a hot-hatch - it would be the 197, not the 182...

The 182 is too small and ugly (got a side profile that only a mother could love)...

no way, a mk2 clio is a nice smiley, bubbly car.

come back when you can fit your car under a 10foot bridge.

RSCLIO197 said:
Hi Dudes,

I certainly don't think the 182 is the most beautiful car, but as hot hatches go, it's not too shabby, I think the V6 is one of the best looking hatchback derivatives ever, as for the 197, it's looks a little on the large side, because it is. Progress is nearly always good, doesn't mean that things always move on smoothly at every step though, and a lot of things get lost on the way. I think with the 197 we might well be witnessing the death of the hot hatch as we know it, sure in 10 years time, we'll all come to expect the safety of a HumVee in a shopping trolley, but in the pursuit of things such as 5 star NCAP and rear legroom, we lose other things such as the detailed feel and feedback and handling that a small, light car can provide. 1230kg is not a light car. A MKI Impreza turbo and a Focus RS weigh less and have significantly more power. But at least you're happy with the side of the car, learn the Starsky and Hutch method of sliding over the bonnet and you won't ever have to look at the back.

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/files/img0715a_w_169.jpg

Only a mother?

VaVa
002 is the King of hot hatches ;)

The Trophy is the pinnacle of the mk2 RenaultSport Clio's... why bother with 172/182/Cups etc?

106 GTi
RSCLIO197 said:
The 182 is too small ...

Thats the way Hot Hatches should be small and light , unlike the lardy 197 which has a side profile is a lot more nasty looking than the outgoing models shape ( maybe it will grow on everybody or stay love hate like the Megane ? ) None of the RenaultSport range have ever been that great looking. As for Clios - the Williams had a nice exterior, shame about the inside.

A red missile
RSCLIO197 said:
Hi Dudes,

*coughcoughbullsheeetcoughcough*

The new Clio looks like a right dog, the 197 is what falls out the back of one.

You can stick the 197, i'll never part with the little red beast.

williams and trophy
Gareth Rallye said:
I wont say what went through to the second day...but the cars present at the test were

1. pug 205 gti
2. pug 106 rallye
3. pug 306 rallye
4. ford puma
5. ford focus rs
6. fiat barachetta
7. VW mk1 golf
8. VW golf the new shape
9.VW vr6 corrado
10. Renault 197
11. Renault trophy
12. mini gp
13. renault clio williams (perfect example think it was number 2 of the series 2 run, only 19k)
14. Honda integra type R
15. Lotus Elan

think thats them all. Yeah you could probably think of more cars but it was a case of getting the cars their and trying to narrow them down.

What I meant by the seats, if you get the chance get in them and press down on bolsters at the side, they might aswell be pieces of paper, no support. A few thousands miles and they will sag making the interior look scruffy

looks like they used robs....williams wont be winning that 1 then...not a very good example to use i dont think.

williams and trophy
Laingo said:
002 is the King of hot hatches ;)

The Trophy is the pinnacle of the mk2 RenaultSport Clio's... why bother with 172/182/Cups etc?

lol...u obviously know nothing.

no.0002 is the exact same as any other williams 1.......except its lower miles, which can do as much harm as good.

there are examples out there that are more genuine, there are also examples out there that are a lot faster same can be said for suspension.

no.0002 is just an under driven, overvalued example of the ultimate hot hatch.

VaVa
2 live said:

no.0002 is the exact same as any other williams 1.......except its lower miles, which can do as much harm as good.

there are examples out there that are more genuine, there are also examples out there that are a lot faster same can be said for suspension.

And you obviously wouldn't know sarcasm if it bit you on the arse..... or at least you might if you took your head out of it for a second ;)

Does the 'King' and the ';) ' not give it away a little? :rolleyes:

williams and trophy
Laingo said:
And you obviously wouldn't know sarcasm if it bit you on the arse..... or at least you might if you took your head out of it for a second ;)

Does the 'King' and the ';) ' not give it away a little? :rolleyes:

unfortunately mate.......my pc cant determine between sarcasm and cluelessness.......

and its hard to notice sarcasm on a forum....unless its done well of course ;)

VaVa
2 live said:
unfortunately mate.......my pc cant determine between sarcasm and cluelessness.......

and its hard to notice sarcasm on a forum....unless its done well of course ;)

There you are you see... it's easy! ;)

Lee

BMW M2C
2 live said:

I hope they took pictures of the side without the runs in the paintwork. I bet he's like Maria Carey, you can only take pictures of the not so bad side. lol

Clio Williams
Trophy 298/525 said:
I certainly don't think the 182 is the most beautiful car, but as hot hatches go, it's not too shabby, I think the V6 is one of the best looking hatchback derivatives ever, as for the 197, it's looks a little on the large side, because it is. Progress is nearly always good, doesn't mean that things always move on smoothly at every step though, and a lot of things get lost on the way. I think with the 197 we might well be witnessing the death of the hot hatch as we know it, sure in 10 years time, we'll all come to expect the safety of a HumVee in a shopping trolley, but in the pursuit of things such as 5 star NCAP and rear legroom, we lose other things such as the detailed feel and feedback and handling that a small, light car can provide. 1230kg is not a light car. A MKI Impreza turbo and a Focus RS weigh less and have significantly more power. But at least you're happy with the side of the car, learn the Starsky and Hutch method of sliding over the bonnet and you won't ever have to look at the back.

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/files/img0715a_w_169.jpg

Only a mother?

Think you've just summed it up there, that's why I hate new cars, they're all oversized and overweight, it was only a matter of time before Renault followed suit. That's why I will never sell my Williams for a new hot hatch...

As for 0002, I think this is probably the best example to use 2live tbh, it's very difficult to find an unmodified Williams these days, especially in the condition of 0002. It's totally standard and Rob is pretty much obsessed with the maintenance and general condition of the car so it won't have been shabby

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Gareth Rallye said:
So keep an eye out for my white 106 rallye on next months front cover.

Being an owner of a 182...

Woah, so you own a rallye and a 182? Good choices... I used to own a S2 Rallye (blue) and they are a buzz to drive hence why i'm on the market for a cliocup (trophy is too expensive for the mo). And to be invited to Evo is quite something, i'm a wannabe journalist and can say that they have possibly the best writers...

3 wood
Lee said:
I hope they took pictures of the side without the runs in the paintwork. I bet he's like Maria Carey, you can only take pictures of the not so bad side. lol

Maybe if you got some runs on your car evo might want to put it on the cover......twice:clown:

I dont hear the phone ringing for requests for Trophy 007. Maybe you should try sacking your agent.;)

williams and trophy
Tommo2 said:
Think you've just summed it up there, that's why I hate new cars, they're all oversized and overweight, it was only a matter of time before Renault followed suit. That's why I will never sell my Williams for a new hot hatch...

As for 0002, I think this is probably the best example to use 2live tbh, it's very difficult to find an unmodified Williams these days, especially in the condition of 0002. It's totally standard and Rob is pretty much obsessed with the maintenance and general condition of the car so it won't have been shabby

no 002 standard????

since when??

its had a kill power chip n decat fitted for years.unless its been remodified back to std since

theres plenty of williams 1s with all standard bits still on em (i have 1 of these), some with original paint still also (i have 2 of these)......but these actually see action on the tarmac....so will have the odd stonechip here n there...which tbh.....u expect from a 12 year old car unless its been painted ;).....or stored.

E91 M Sport
Gareth Rallye said:
the cars present at the test were

4. ford puma
5. ford focus rs
6. fiat barachetta
7. VW mk1 golf
8. VW golf the new shape
9.VW vr6 corrado
10. Renault 197
11. Renault trophy
12. mini gp
13. renault clio williams (perfect example think it was number 2 of the series 2 run, only 19k)
14. Honda integra type R
15. Lotus Elan

Please don't tell me they used a standard Puma :dead: That would be totally unfair considering the competition.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Gareth Rallye said:
I wont say what went through to the second day...but the cars present at the test were

1. pug 205 gti
2. pug 106 rallye
3. pug 306 rallye
4. ford puma
5. ford focus rs
6. fiat barachetta
7. VW mk1 golf
8. VW golf the new shape
9.VW vr6 corrado
10. Renault 197
11. Renault trophy
12. mini gp
14. Honda integra type R
15. Lotus Elan

think thats them all. Yeah you could probably think of more cars but it was a case of getting the cars their and trying to narrow them down.

What I meant by the seats, if you get the chance get in them and press down on bolsters at the side, they might aswell be pieces of paper, no support. A few thousands miles and they will sag making the interior look scruffy

Was the Elan the old one or the SE TURBO.

I had a chipped SE Turbo (200bhp) and they are a quick moter, can't be many front wheel drive cars that can out handle one.

Mister Ego said:
Maybe if you got some runs on your car evo might want to put it on the cover......twice:clown:

I dont hear the phone ringing for requests for Trophy 007. Maybe you should try sacking your agent.;)

think it's more the fact that the Williams is number 0002 and the first RHD one than anything else. it's the most well known Williams, but only due to the owner being a t**t, so it's not really famous, more infamous ;)

as previously stated, if you see the car up close and open the bonnet it's quite clearly had paint on it, cobham magazine shoot I remember seeing it then, it's a low mile tidy car, but make no mistake, it's clearly been in a bump or two as it's had paint and it's by no means original... nor was it standard, last time it had a magnex exhaust iirc, certainly had a decat and it was chipped. careless owners, shame it's not got to a propper enthusiast who wont mod or crash it :clown:

Lee

BMW M2C
Evo don't need to borrow a Trophy for their reviews. It's so good Harry Metcalf bought the press car from Renault UK, as he knows it's already a classic.:approve: