ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust clamp help! (PICS)

?
Disclaimer : Please bear in mind I have never changed an exhaust so sorry if this entire post is retarded.

Got a prospeed cat-back system off a member on here (thanks dave ;)) and attempting to fit it on sunday. My car is a 1.6 16v (K4M)

Now, i've got 2 clamps and none of them seem to fit properly. Although one does fit better than the other. One is a cheap U-clamp and the other is what eurocarparts told me was 'the correct clamp for a cat-center section join on your car, not a cheapy clamp!'

But I have since discovered I need 2 clamps. One from cat>center section and one from center section>back box

The two clamps I have can be seen here:

P1000074.gif

The (cheaper) U clamp is 51mm and the other clamp has '58' stamped inside it...

This is how the more expensive clamp fits. Is it meant to be like this? I thought it was meant to hug the shape of the pipe all the way round? (i.e without the gaps around the outside?).

P1000070.gif

P1000071.gif

P1000073.gif

This is how the U clamp (51mm) fits. In a nutshell.. it doesnt! Tried everything apart from deforming it to get it to fit over the pipe.

P1000075.gif

Any ideas guys? Does anyone know which type and which size I require? Thanks!

E36 M3. 182
on the cat/downpipe to centre cection joint, use the 2 piece clamp. the U section of the clamp halves, when compressed will squeeze the 2 flanges together.

the right hand clamp is called an olive clamp and is not what you need for the joint in the picture.

for the pictured joint, you could either use a mikalor/norma type clamp (basically a fancy jubille clip), or a u-bolt clamp of the right size. u-bolt clamps will be available from kwikfit/etc - you need to measure the outside bore of the pipe (take it with you if needs be) and it needs to be *exactly* the right size - too small obv. won't fit, and too big will oval the pipe as you tighten it

yap

51 Clio 172
The eurocarparts one is totally wrong, that is for an exhaust that has a ressed lip that the clamp goes over. You will need 2 u clamps and some silicone sealer.

?
I have the sealent. So i need a U clamp for the cat>center section too? (even though that isnt in the pics?)

Last edited:
  ?
Update - Ok! Fitted the eurocarparts (more expensive) clamp onto the OTHER END (CAT SIDE) of the center section (which turned out to be flanged) and it fits very nicely! So I believe they gave me the right cat>center section clamp.

Pics of the cat side...

P1000078.gif

and with the clamp trial fitted...

P1000076.gif

I'm returning the U-clamp tomorrow morning and taking my backbox so they can give me exactly the right sized clamp for the pipe.

Thanks CS! (if theres anything else u guys think I should know please tell me!)

Evo 6, E92 320d
Yep, thats the right clamp for the cat end, as i said earlier i'm pretty sure its a 55mm u clamp you need, at least thats the one i used on my old RSi ktec exhaust.

that's the right clamp (olive clamp) for that type of joint, but you need an olive to go inbetween the pipe ends - kwikfit/etc again

sm_Land_Range_Rover_Classic_Discovery_Defender_Exhaust_Olive_CRC4579L.jpg

?
Yep, thats the right clamp for the cat end, as i said earlier i'm pretty sure its a 55mm u clamp you need, at least thats the one i used on my old RSi ktec exhaust.

Thanks ill see what size they say I need tomorrow :)

that's the right clamp (olive clamp) for that type of joint, but you need an olive to go inbetween the pipe ends - kwikfit/etc again

sm_Land_Range_Rover_Classic_Discovery_Defender_Exhaust_Olive_CRC4579L.jpg

Olive? Would eurocarparts stock one? Are you sure I need one never heard of it before

i might be confusing things; what does the other pipe that the one in your last picture connects to look like?

?
I dont know (it is on my car... catalyst LOL) but the guy looked it up on the system from my reg and said thats how it connects :)

i'm not familar either but, if the end of the cat pipe is flared like the one in your piccie, you'll definitely need an olive inbetween :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
flanged ends need an olive and the clamp that fits,
the olive is like a ring that sits against the flanged edge either side,
and the shape of the clamp forces the flanged edge inwards onto the olive sealing the join.

and the joins where one slides into the other need the correct sized U clamp to force the outer pipe onto the inner pipe so neither of them shift under stress,

hope this helps

alien green rs133
P1000076.gif

in my eyes the guy has given you two clamps that are too small

that clamp although it is the right size is too small

that looks like the clamp for a 1.2

you need the (bosal number) 930 as its slightly bigger
the two bolts either end are too close to the exhaust there should be a gap

and like said for the other bit of oxhaust where the u-bolt is needed measure outside diameter of the pipe.

job done :D

?
Just got to work, stopped at ECPS on my way...

Got a new U bolt (54mm) and returned the olive clamp for one that looks like a fancy jubilee clip with a rim that is the right size for the cat section.

So both clamps replaced for hopefully the right ones :D