ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust hanger mod in situ

Clio 182
My exhaust is banging the knackered old mounts have so much flex in that one of the rear silencers can hit on the metal bit of the rear hanger and bang. I want to do the exhaust mod using the powerflex mounts like this http://www.cliosport.net/threads/uprated-exhaust-mounts-modification-thanks-cliosport.582043/

The problem is the rear mounts on mine seem to be well stuck on the bolts don't even budge at all and I have no desire to force them and end up with sheared bolts etc. So I was wondering whether anyone has done this mod with the mounts in situ and how hard it was?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine were rusted to fcuk too . I unbolted the brackets that the exhaust hangers are bolted to , to make it easier . They came out pretty easily . I'd soaked all the bolts with WD40 for a few days prior to doing this . Then i carefully , slowly undid the bolts for the exhaust hanger in a vice so they didn't shear off , cleaned up the threads and used new bolts and washers . I was gonna do the powerflex mod , but i already had 2 new hangers , i put 3 strong cable ties through each rubber hanger and bracket then fiilled in the gaps with black high temp sealant so the mounts were more solid , but not too soild , still some flex there . My Yozza exhaust now sits perfectly , the first time it ever has done . Oh and i also used a trolley jack and a flat piece of wood under both back boxes to take the weight of the exhaust whilst i did this .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Everbuild...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item58919cda7d

My bolts were glued in pretty tight with corrosion too. You can reach the back of bolt through the bracket though. I used a hacksaw blade (just the blade) to very lightly chip away at the corrosion being careful not to put any real pressure on, combined with wire brushing and penetrating oil(s). Left them to soak for a bit whilst I did all the other bolts. I also gave them a bit of a tap to try and shock/move things around a bit eventually they came free.

Doing them in situ would be fine. Very easy if you have another person helping. It's not a precise science. Mark up where you need to cut, then go for it, one person behind the car holding the tail pipes in position and then you under the car marking where the powerflex mount needs to be drilled (account for sag due to weight). Drill it, pop it in, cables ties on and jobs a fish.

Clio 182
My exhaust is banging the knackered old mounts have so much flex in that one of the rear silencers can hit on the metal bit of the rear hanger and bang. I want to do the exhaust mod using the powerflex mounts like this http://www.cliosport.net/threads/uprated-exhaust-mounts-modification-thanks-cliosport.582043/

The problem is the rear mounts on mine seem to be well stuck on the bolts don't even budge at all and I have no desire to force them and end up with sheared bolts etc. So I was wondering whether anyone has done this mod with the mounts in situ and how hard it was?

I had the exact same problem as you, so i left it and washed the car instead:disappointed:

Will keep a eye on this thread, would be great if you didnt have to remove the hsngers

Clio 182
I think I will attempt it in situ then I should hopefully be able to press the new one in with some big pliers! Will let you know how it goes.

Clio 182
Please do, the only issue i could see with mine was getting the exhaust hanger out of the exhaust mount bracket itself as there seems to be no play at all in mine to wiggle it out.

Keep me posted

Clio 182
I'm hoping to leave the exhaust as it is and press then new mount into the square housing and onto the hanger simultaneously.

Clio 182
I'm hoping to leave the exhaust as it is and press then new mount into the square housing and onto the hanger simultaneously.

Sounds like a plan,
How are you thinking of removing the old rubber bits out the hanger? Do think a sharp knife and cutting them away will work?

Keep me posted

I think I will attempt it in situ then I should hopefully be able to press the new one in with some big pliers! Will let you know how it goes.
If you cut them properly you can just push them in with your fingers. I have to all the ones I've done. It's really not a difficult job I promise, just a bit of a faff getting it lined up nicely on your todd. The bonus is, if you line them up well the first time, then if you ever need to replace them you just cut the mounts using the old ones as a guide and refit.

Really do just need a sharp knife to cut old rubber out and cut the new powerflex to size.

I have done this in situ, same problem only one bolt was completely stuck. For me the left hanger was fine, plenty of room to work and the rubber came out really easily. The right/more central one was a complete PITA. Hard to get to, the rubber was a total b*****d to get out, had to resort to cutting it out with a hacksaw blade and couldn't get a clean edge/all of the rubber out so I had to modify the new insert so it'd go in. It lined up ok but was pure luck.

My advice would be to soak those bolts and keep trying to take the hole mount off. Also they look to be attached to another box section above, no idea if this comes off or what implications that has but that was my next port of call to get them off.

Good luck!

Clio 182
I might give them a soak in plus gas everyday until Saturday when I'm going to do them and see if they budge then, if they don't I'll just have to manage!

Clio 182
@andrewc2102
You can fit them in situ, ive just done it this afternoon.

Was not as hard as i thought i used a bosch cutter to get rubbers out, just cus i had it to hand could easily be done with a knife etc.
image.jpg

I used a jack to hold my exhaust in postion whilst marking the mount for where to cut.

Once marked i drilled a hole slight above the postion marked to allow for the weight
image.jpg

Very pleased with outcome. Give it ago mate.

Clio 182
Good stuff! I'll give it a go at the weekend if the weathers good. Does it seem like the exhaust is nice and secure? in particular side to side as my mounts aren't actually sagging to bad they just allow the exhaust to move side to side so much the right back box hits the metal of the mount.