ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust heat sheild rattle... can i remove it?

R26
My exhaust heatsheld rattles when i put my foot down and its driving me mad, i think its rattling where the two heatshields meet.. (the one above the backboxes under the boot and the one running along the centre of the car) all the clips etc are in place and its definately not touching the exhaust anywhere.

Is there anything i can do? put tiny self tappers with bits of rubber between them and everything... isit safe to just remove the one running along the car or not?

Any help would be great its well pissing me off.

Oh and please dont just say its a renault lol ;)

03 RS clio 172 flameR
Are you sure it was the headshild tapping, like a vibrational noise? i thought mine was till i noticed that the cat to manifold join had been fooked!

R26
nope def the heatshield ive pretty much identifited it, the cat joint to mani in good nick, but i will check, ive recently had a miltek cat back and changed all the mounts. so just the s**tty heatshield left lol

is it safe to remove?

R26
nahh lol gonna do it tommorow but its just hassle isnt it, i might mark where the two meet and cut that bit out and reift it.

182 FF
its where they are bolted on, it rusts through, i simply took off the nut and fitted a bigger washer which sits over the non rusted bit of heat shield. no probs after that (until it rusts through again) and i will need a washer the size of a small frisbee lol.

Black 182 FF
its where they are bolted on, it rusts through, i simply took off the nut and fitted a bigger washer which sits over the non rusted bit of heat shield. no probs after that babbageil it rusts through again) and i will need a washer the size of a small frisbee lol.

I've been doing the same with mine over the last year or so, when they rust through again God knows what I'll do :S

Looking for 182
I've been fighting with my heat shields (backbox and centre section) for the past 4 weeks. I've glued various areas to the underside of the car with Araldite but now it's just a different type of rattle (arguably louder now!)

I just had another look and the back box heat shield is ok now I think because I've glued bits. The centre section heat shield however is really old, wobbly and rattles a lot. I've bent a few bits away from areas they could be hitting, other than that I don't know what else to do. I'm off out soon to see if it has been fixed.

It really is annoying me beyond belief.

I've been fighting with my heat shields (backbox and centre section) for the past 4 weeks. I've glued various areas to the underside of the car with Araldite but now it's just a different type of rattle (arguably louder now!)

I just had another look and the back box heat shield is ok now I think because I've glued bits. The centre section heat shield however is really old, wobbly and rattles a lot. I've bent a few bits away from areas they could be hitting, other than that I don't know what else to do. I'm off out soon to see if it has been fixed.

It really is annoying me beyond belief.

f**king hell mate, you love your Aradite don't you ?

Your car must be held together with it :rasp:

Rattling heat shields, remove it or a couple of washers and nuts and bolt back in place if its rusted through ;)

R26
FFS I've took off the rear heatshield completely and it still rattles, anyone got any other ideas? Could it be the one near the manifold? Or could it be the actual exhaust itself? But it only rattles with certain revs and if you bang the backboxes and silencers there ain't no rattle?
Any ideas cos my car sounds so shot when accelerating ATM :(

R26
Done, well frustrating only seems to be when it's actually moving. I give up, it only started happening wen I got the miltek fitted. Surely not the charecterstics of it, if so miltek are w*****s

Looking for 182
It is damn annoying isn't it, Pres?

Mine does it when stationary and when moving.

I've glued, banged, bent all kind of things and still can't work out where the damn rattle is actually coming from. It is SOOOO annoying. It sounds like the car wants to explode when I hit 6k revs. I'm also finding myself driving 50% of the time with my head out the window listening for noises.

R26
It is damn annoying isn't it, Pres?

Mine does it when stationary and when moving.

I've glued, banged, bent all kind of things and still can't work out where the damn rattle is actually coming from. It is SOOOO annoying. It sounds like the car wants to explode when I hit 6k revs. I'm also finding myself driving 50% of the time with my head out the window listening for noises.

Lmao ha same! Wish I could just forget about the fucker!!

R26
FFS I've took off the rear heatshield completely and it still rattles, anyone got any other ideas? Could it be the one near the manifold? Or could it be the actual exhaust itself? But it only rattles with certain revs and if you bang the backboxes and silencers there ain't no rattle?
Any ideas cos my car sounds so shot when accelerating ATM :(

It is off ;)

clio 182
Mine did this when i had a new exhaust put on. the clamp that holds the exhaust 2gether at the back
[ie the bolt that went through the clamp was hitting the rear heat sheild at mid rpm but only when car was moving.could see a slight mark on the heatshield where it touched]
turned the clamp and bolt away from the heatshield and it has stopped all the rattles

Clio 172 Cup
Mine was doing this, Manifold/cat fitting kit was needed, total b**ch to fit. If you look down the back of the engine and get a mate up the revs a little bit you should hear it rattling around. Parts are cheap enough, just expect tears while fitting it.

R26
Mine was doing this, Manifold/cat fitting kit was needed, total b**ch to fit. If you look down the back of the engine and get a mate up the revs a little bit you should hear it rattling around. Parts are cheap enough, just expect tears while fitting it.
tbh that is what I think it is now. Treat... Total b**ch as in awkward as f**k? Looks pretty straight forward but awkward.

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah, acetylene torche job on mine, I was working on a ramp to, think I would have been suicidal if I attempted it on axel stands.

IIRC mine used to rattle from about 4k up.

Clio 172 Cup
1 of the bolts was in a real funny position couldn't get much on it and it was stuck tight, tried the trusty WD40 soaking method with no joy. Fingers crossed you'll have better luck.

R26
Oh s**t, gonna get a video first see what ppl think. Hope it ain't that lol that sounds hard

R26
What if just wrapped the whole fucker in exhaust heat tape? That'd stop it? What is exhaust tape meant to do anyway?