ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust just fell off

clio 172
i've just purchased my beautiful flame red 172 on an 02 plate with 26,000mls no more than a week ago.

yesterday out of nowhere the exhaust started to blow really badly. Today on the way home from work the back box just snapped and fell to the floor.

I had to ask some guy who was cutting grass for a knife to cut the back box off and throw it into the boot and drove home.

On the way home i decided to just drop in on kwik fit and walker for a quote. They both said that the you can't buy just the back box alone because the back box and middle box are linked.

They also said that you can only get it from the main dealers. 400-500 pound

I really didn't want to spend any extra money on the car till jan but it looks like i might have to put a performance system on, it works out cheaper.

Does anyone know anywhere that i can just get the back box replaced with an after market?

LY V6 with Recaros
Re: Exhaust just feel off

Oh no, gutted, this happened in my Saxo, kwik fit didn't even have an exhaust for a saxo! Hope you get it sorted, sorry, I'm not much help!

Chocolate Bar™

me too. my 1.2 exhaust fell off literally a week after i bought my car, and only had 14k miles on it.

perfect excuse for an aftermarket one :)

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup

I know how you feel! I've just posted about 5 mins after you with the same problem. With original system prices like that defo going down the after market route. If this continues we'll have our own group buy by the end of the day!!:D

SHap about you cna pick up exhaust stsrem from copy cat places fo £90 if your carul or look on ebay you can pick them up sometimes.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired

Just happened to me today too.Car has gone back into garage to be replaced under warranty though..:cool:

Same happened to me - fine one day, blowing the next, fell off the next (on the way to get it replaced!!)

You can buy just the back box (I did).

Personally, I'd be phoning up the place I bought it from (assuming it was a garage and not private sale) and asking them what they were going to do about it....

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I think we've all been there with our Clio's, some more than others - where is Pootle ;)

Perfect oppertunity for a performance system though mate - just remember to tell your insurance company :)

lemonnobby1 said:
what a load of rubbish you can get back box seperate costs about a £100
I'll second that. The backbox is in the region of £100 plus VAT IIRC when bought seperately from a Renault garage. Happened to my fiancee's mum's 172 after 4 years and 22k... Mine's OK for the moment *touch wood* (2.5 years 24k)

DarthCake said:
I think we've all been there with our PETROL Clio's, some more than others - where is Pootle ;)
Just needed a quick edit mines still fine (saying that it will fall of next week most likly).

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I brought my 52 mK2 172 last december with 46K on the clock, do you think the exhaust would have been changed it that time? Shes now on just under 60K and the backbox looks fine.

Megane225FF

Fletch123 said:
I brought my 52 mK2 172 last december with 46K on the clock, do you think the exhaust would have been changed it that time? Shes now on just under 60K and the backbox looks fine.

you're either very lucky, or its been replaced.

R26

Been there mate - twice in 3 months! The back box fell off first, which i replaced with a standard one, then the centre section started to blow. I now a have performance system which is the way to go imo!

RB 197 + Cup Pack

Exactly the same happened to me on my 53 reg Cup on Tuesday! On Monday is started to sound rough, got worse throughout the day, was on my way to a garage to have it looked at on Tuesday morning and the stupid thing fell off just around the corner from my house!! Cost £384 to have it replaced!!! (I had to have a whole exhaust - not just the backbox).

clio 172

Thank for all the replys.

I think i'm gonna try and get an aftermarket preformance jobby over the weekend.

From what i've hearing is the best combination in a perfor exhaust, to get 2.5" grand 304 s steel and whatever tail design i want.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine fell off my flame red one after 30 miles! Well it was on 58k and had already ben welded on but Id only owned it for the morning! Started off fine started blwoing a bit then fell off really quickly! Smae happened on my 1.4 at about 35k. Think once its weakend it falls off really quickly!

Clio 172 mk2
The dealers want sillly money for replacements..I was quoted around 300-400 notes which is more than an aftermarket system.

I ended up going for the K-tec Stealth which I'm pretty happy with.

Lots to choose from out there:D

tiTTy & SV650
scuse me mr can I borrow a knife?

want me to come round the back so you dont have to walk through the restaurant with it?

Alan, do you feel dangerous?

Aye I see they got some Onion Bahjis but where the fecks the knife?!

comedy memories of that outing