ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust manifold to cat bolts rusted / missing

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
checked under my car yesterday when i got the tracking checked and i noticed one of the bolts was actually hanging loose not connected to the manifold and the other is half way gone

does this mean i just need new bolts of has the manifold flanges gone and died?
Its A on the picture .. they have rusted through and i only have one bolt holding it on atm!
Not my car from the pics just something to help

10947759_511970568942648_1125930345_n.jpg

10966882_511968555609516_1709112130_n.jpg

It looks like my cat has been welded on somewhere as well so i can't actually take it off?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You probably need a new cat kit they are £18 on eBay mate. Get some pics up when you can.

And your cat sounds like it has been sleeved which is good news. The standard olive joint leaks which is what mine is doing now.

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
You probably need a new cat kit they are £18 on eBay mate. Get some pics up when you can.

And your cat sounds like it has been sleeved which is good news. The standard olive joint leaks which is what mine is doing now.
My car is welding from that joint back mate, nothing's sleeved :( I'm picking up a manifold - cat gasket and bolt kit from renault

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Hello alistair. Check the manifold flange where the collars push / knock in. If this area is rusted away it is possible to do a long term weld repair to the manifold outlet flange area, approx £100 - £180 with parts and vat. Not cheap but saves a load of hassle etc.
Hope this helps.
regards mark fish

TRH_Racing

ClioSport Area Rep
Hello alistair. Check the manifold flange where the collars push / knock in. If this area is rusted away it is possible to do a long term weld repair to the manifold outlet flange area, approx £100 - £180 with parts and vat. Not cheap but saves a load of hassle etc.
Hope this helps.
regards mark fish

Hey mark thanks for the reply, I bought a new gasket / bolt set from renault today and its all in and sorted hopefully, ill keep an eye on it!

if it does bugger about again ill give you a shout :)

NathanV

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182
I had exactly the same issue with my cat flange disintegrating. So I designed an easy-fit flange that requires no welding and uses some of the parts from the standard fitting kit. Although I'm now thinking the kit could be eliminated, as springs are available separately.

GEOO087l.jpg

The bolts are currently the wrong length, but this proves the concept works. I also have a flange that fits the manifold side too, as it had rusted so much that the fitting kit cups wouldn't stay in position. The previous owner had simply fitted large washers and bolts - another tell-tale sign of whether a vehicle has been looked after!

BG Clio 182
I had exactly the same issue with my cat flange disintegrating. So I designed an easy-fit flange that requires no welding and uses some of the parts from the standard fitting kit. Although I'm now thinking the kit could be eliminated, as springs are available separately.

View attachment 1346726

The bolts are currently the wrong length, but this proves the concept works. I also have a flange that fits the manifold side too, as it had rusted so much that the fitting kit cups wouldn't stay in position. The previous owner had simply fitted large washers and bolts - another tell-tale sign of whether a vehicle has been looked after!
That's a damn good idea

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk