ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Question (Help)

Clio Sport 172
My rear box has fallen apart inside and sounds rough as...

Phoned Renault a genuine box fitted is £230

Phoned a local exhaust fitted £90 fitted (non genuine)

Will the cheap one make the car loose power etc?

Thanks in advance, Tom

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Chances are Tom the centre section will drop to bits next after you've fitted a new back box , it's sods law :S Personally i'd get a new stainless after market exhaust . I had one made for my old 172 by the guys at Powerflow in Burnley , full stainless stealth , basically a copy of the original with a lifetime warranty . You'll probably get some people on here who flame Powerflow cos a mate of a mate of a mate who knows someone down the pub had one and it was sh!te . Well mine was spot on and quite a few other people on here have used Powerflow Burnley and all been happy with the work .

Have a look for your nearest dealer . They'll make whatever you want , however quiet or loud you want . But i'd stear clear of ther Renault backbox .

http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
but they don't have mandrel bending machines do they. Therefore you either get reduced flow through the bends or more welding due to smaller segments, all which hamper performance compared to a well made system

Seriously check out the Supersprint Stealth if you are after a proper performance system.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
but they don't have mandrel bending machines do they. Therefore you either get reduced flow through the bends or more welding due to smaller segments, all which hamper performance compared to a well made system

Seriously check out the Supersprint Stealth if you are after a proper performance system.

I'm just going off my experience and quite a few others who had exhausts made by the guys at Powerflow Burnley . I think people look a little bit too much into these things and become obsessed " are they mandrel bent " ? If they're not you'll lose performance , i think whether they're mandrel bent is irrelevant were i Clio is concerned . They said i " might " gain a few bhp , maybe 5 or 6 which as we all know means bugger all on a Clio as the 172 to 182 proves with identical performance . All i know is that my car felt exactly the same with the new exhaust , no slower nor was it any faster . I was going to go back to Powerflow for my 182 exhaust when i saw Fred selling off some yozza exhausts quite cheap a couple of years ago so i snapped one up and i'm more than happy with that system . I would happily use Powerflow again should i ever need to and for half the price of most aftermarket systems out there :D

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Like for like on exhaust bore any restrictive bend will hamper performance. Same goes for backbox and silencer construction. A mandrel bent system will have less welding in general which means less interruption of flow internally. Quite frankly with a normally aspirated engine you are chasing every little bhp possible so its worth buying the best possible. The smaller bore will probably not be noticed low down in the revs but when you hit the redline and have maximum gasses being forced down the system, then the better flowing car will outperform.
172 and 182 are different enough in spec and weight which is why the extra power does not equate to a faster car.

Clio 197
Chances are Tom the centre section will drop to bits next after you've fitted a new back box , it's sods law :S Personally i'd get a new stainless after market exhaust . I had one made for my old 172 by the guys at Powerflow in Burnley , full stainless stealth , basically a copy of the original with a lifetime warranty . You'll probably get some people on here who flame Powerflow cos a mate of a mate of a mate who knows someone down the pub had one and it was sh!te . Well mine was spot on and quite a few other people on here have used Powerflow Burnley and all been happy with the work .

Have a look for your nearest dealer . They'll make whatever you want , however quiet or loud you want . But i'd stear clear of ther Renault backbox .

http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/

I aggree the centre section will also waiting to drop off too if its the same age as the backbox.

I have heard good things about powerflow in burnley (a good few years ago mind) - i completely forgot about them however when i was looking for a replacement system.

Please do not get a pattern part exhaust i.e. copy of the original item as i had one on my cup and the tailpipe angle was terrible meaning on my 3 hour trip to FCS last year i melted my rear bumper quite badly.