ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust Question.

BMW M3
What does it mean if one pipe is colder then the other?

Got my exhaust back from Janspeed a while ago and now managed to fit it with a broken foot :).

It fits perfectly now, but the left pipe still burbles every so often and is a lot colder. The fumes seem more forced then the right and its the left pipe that is straight and the right is bendy.

It sounds pretty good the wee gurgle, but when its cold you only see fumes exiting from the right pipe until the whole exhaust is hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
  182 - conneries de c
Hmmm, I thought it was just me and my Prospeed that I had fitted recently that did this.

Your not alone Justin182

I have more or less the same thing. More fumes exits the left pipe than the right and the left is hotter than the right.

This is despite the fact that the right pipe is first in line after the rear box. The Prospeed I have has a single box at the rear.

I assume this is due to the flow of the gases?

Still sounds great though and very happy with it.

Will get some pics and a vid posted as soon as possible.

BMW M3
Yeah mate,

What confuses me is that its the straight through pipe that is colder and more forced fumes exit whereas the pipe with 2 bends is spot on.

Wierd.

Cant complain with the sound and looks though... drove my car today for the 1st time in a month and it really does shift so well happy.

BMW M3
^^ Yeah mate,

Ive got the whole system. Happy with the sound and look. I seemed to have a prob with the fitting but now thats sorted. Just got the above issue but doesnt really bother me.

They are a few people on here you could ask that are very happy i think: MrBlue182, 7MAT and ChunkTrophy of the top of my head. Could be worth a search too.

Am now very happy with it as it fits properly and sounds great without being too loud. ONce the exhaust is up to temp... (after some fun driving) the above issue isnt an issue as much so not a prob.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
well thats correct aint it, the right pipe, the bendy one, would be hotter cos the fumes are sitting in it and passing through it at a longer time making it heat up quicker !!!, the straight pipe, the fumes just come out, so its going to be colder, silly billy

So the right pipe gets more hot air thru it - thus making it colder

the left pipe is stright so the air passes thru quicker meanign it dont' get so hot

thats physics aint it

BMW M3
Could be right there mate. Didnt think of that. Although the fact that only the left pipe makes a burbling noise on tickover and the right doesnt made me think it was related.

Would also explain why its more forced... less retriction (bends)