ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhuast sound, how to improve at 3k?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I'm almost 100% happy with how may car drive and sounds at the moment (looks wise it need some work, but thats for the summer). Only thing thats annoying me is a metallicy / rattlely sound at around the 3Krpm mark. Its only started happenning sinse I put the decat on. It kinda sounds like the feul mixture is too rich (that bag of spanners sound), but my mpg is fine so I dont think its that. From inside the car, the sound appears to be around the cat area. I have checked the heat sheilding etc but the sound appears to be coming from inside the pipework. There are also no leaks that I can see/feel.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop it from doign this? Or the root cause?

Many thanks.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yes. At first I thought it could have been the heat sheilding rattling, but check it all and the noise is coming from the pipe (got someone to rev the car whilst I was under it).

mine makes a tinny noise in every gear when you get to 3k for like 2 secs. it has a decat but i think its just because its a cheap stainless exhaust

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Could be blowing from the decat/centre section joint? Mine isn't a great seal and makes a similar noise to what you're describing.

What exhaust have you got?

Scorpion decat and bluefame catback. Its not leaking, I have physically checked. Its much more metallic sounding than what a leak sound would be. Its a similar sound to a loose baffle in the rear can, but its sounding from the decat section...

monaco 172
Mines the same, janspeed super sport with sleeved decat. Really tinny at 3k.

If I put cat back on the noise goes away

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Ok thanks guys. From a few posts there it seems like its just the way its go to be :( i will check the heatsheilding for cracks but I wont hold my breath.

I'm getting the same sort of rattle on mine, around were the centre clamp and mount is. Metallic rattle on idle and when i accelerate off, it stops and comes back a little later on.
I put it down to either rattly shield, rattly hangar or rattly clamp. Going to have them all checked soon because it's doing my head in!

turbo 182
mines the same mate, at around 3k it sounds metalic/rattling/blowing sound once your at 3.5 or below 2.5k its fine