ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Expensive insurance for young driver

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'm 18 years old (19 in April) and on my own policy. I will have 2 years NCB in April, I've currently got a 51 reg 1.2 Sport Rep.
I paid £3000 TPFT last year and £1700 this year Fully comp with Admiral.

I have my Dad (28 years NCB) and my mum (who had a claim last year but it was a non fault claim where the car was unoccupied and the costs were recovered from the other party) on the policy.

I'm looking to upgrade the car to a Turbo Diesel (A3, Golf, etc) but could potentially get a 1*2.

Are there any tips for me to get cheaper insurance?

Everywhere on here I seem to see people paying half the price at my age for an RS...I don't understand :|

Also my postcode is WA8...

Cheers
Liam

Last edited:
  Westfield
Shop around and adding parents as additional drivers, i found i get better prices phoning rather than using comparison sites too.

You can't compare what other people are paying as they have different post codes, driving histories etc so add up to a different type of risk to your self.

good luck though mate

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Cheers guys, according to the postcode grade mine is C so mid-range.

I have no points, like I said I will have 2 years NCB come April, I passed my test in June 2009.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
I'm with admiral, phone them up, ask them to do a quote with elephant (sister company) they gave me a cheaper quote by quite a bit, even though i had to add 6 points. What they did was just match the quote. I have 3 years no claims and 6 points, awful post code though, so £980 on a saxo furio :(

172 +Scenic sport
admiral werent very good for me £1200 fully comp, 25yrs old, 4yrs no claims good postcode.

ive just renewed today with aviva £847 rang around all day and they were by far the best!

every insurer seems totally random tho so many different prices ive been quoted today i have no idea how it can vary so much??

2005 Clio Sport 182
there are various thing that put insurance up like post codes and also the type of car your looking at can also affect if. like when i have been looking to insure a m3 last year they were saying it would be cheaper for me to insure a m3 csl as there havnt been as many thefts and accidents as the normal m3. its all a big rip off is insurance! they can charge as much as they want because at then end of the day the know you need it!

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
I was paying 2.5k on the clio (1.2) my advice is shop around defo! got insured on a 1.6 golf fully comp my name £1600

Renewal with admiral: 3 yrs ncb, 1.2 clio modded £667,

Will be looking to go with them for a sport in a few months time...

Add women to the policy, possibly have a high excess (nothing really silly though), sometimes modded can be cheaper with some companies...

Fabia VRS Special Ed
cheers for the replies guys, my excess is £650 atm.

I rang up Admiral (my current insurer) today about swapping to an A3, they wanted an extra £555 for the next 4/5 months to swap over.

I asked them about a 1*2 and they wanted an extra £1.2k for the duration lol.