ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Experience with the Pure Motorsport Shifter?

Hi All,

Hope you're well.

Just looking for some advice on the pure motorsport shift kit. Currently the main issue i have with my 172, is when i try to quick shift, i feel the box doesn't like it. It will give you a bit of a crunch if you try to shift quickly.

This of course is something im looking to iron out, wondering if anyone with the pure motorsport shift kit could shed any light on this and whether this kit actually lets you shift quicker without getting poor response back / the feel that your rushing the gearbox.

Thanks in advance

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The JC5 Gearbox doesn't like being rushed, the PMS shifter make the gear selection feel more precise but still won't allow you to bang in gears

The JC5 Gearbox doesn't like being rushed, the PMS shifter make the gear selection feel more precise but still won't allow you to bang in gears

Do you know of any mods or even gearbox swaps people have done to improve this? Im sure i cant be the only one to try and tackle this issue

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
More than likely worn synchros and selector rings causing your issue, and as said the JC5 does not like to be rushed into gear.
The PMS won’t make any difference, except it will rattle, buzz, spoil your drive and generally get on your tits.

Get your gearbox freshened up and add some brass bushes to your shifter. 🙂

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Sorry to hijack but where is the best place to get brass bushes for the standard shifter?

Short of getting dog cut gears you are not going to find time smashing through gears. You will find a rebuild bill though.
Smooth unrushed precision is the order of the day.

Thanks Kev.

I may still look to get the pure motorsport shifter. I'll be in touch when im ready.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Does anyone know if zero point will make their MK3shifter for the MK2 or if one is in the works?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone know if zero point will make their MK3shifter for the MK2 or if one is in the works?

Having spoken to them about it, its very much in the works but not ready yet. Im keen to see if they can improve on the PMS rattling whilst retaining the shift quality.
Lets be honest here, the PMS still isnt that amazing. Its better than OE, but the OEM unit is so poor, almost anything is an improvment.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Having spoken to them about it, its very much in the works but not ready yet. Im keen to see if they can improve on the PMS rattling whilst retaining the shift quality.
Lets be honest here, the PMS still isnt that amazing. Its better than OE, but the OEM unit is so poor, almost anything is an improvment.
Going back many years I had an Evo 4 project and I installed 4 little brass washers around the gear selector much like what someone had mentioned above and that was night and day over standard. It’s amazing just how much flex and play are in these areas from factory.

It would be interesting because I have tried a PMS shifter and yes again over standard it’s a huge improvement but like you say, I’m sure there is plenty of room for improvement too

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
My pms doesn't rattle much at all tbh, only cruising at 60-70 a bit

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Nor does mine.. thick grease helps. And..it’s like cocking a rifle with every gear change.

Jall

ClioSport Club Member
  265 cup, ph2 172
PMS Shifter is good, rattles like a c**t, I wouldn't run it in a daily driven car.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
My PMS only rattles above 6k rpm after i filled the connector shaft with roughly 1.2kg of lead shot and filled the rubber at the selector knuckle with heavy red grease.. Normal road driving is quiet/rattle free.. Its only on track that it rattles at high revs and its works for me as a shift indicator..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
If you want to improve massively on the PMS then you have to ditch the Clio gearbox. Its like stiring porridge compared to most japanese performance cars. Any kit that hard links the gearbox to the lever will find the vibration issue I think as its the link to the gearbox itself thats the culprit. Theres not a cost effective option to get any rubber to dampen the vibration without creating play. I guess a custom hard rubber bush or two may have worked but its not cheap to go that route as you usually have to by thousands at a time.
I'm guessing the ZPO prototype had some issue like this and thats why its not gone into production.
For the sake of a little weight penalty and some lead shot - I know where my money will go.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've come from an Integra DC5 and the gear change was superb but, I'm not finding the change in my 182 to be too bad tbh. I've bought a Scenic shifter and hopefully will be buying Yanoo's full kit soon as I'm keen to have the stick a bit closer to the wheel as I'm tall but it's certainly not the worst gear change I've experienced, not as nice as the Type R's obviously.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
If you want to improve massively on the PMS then you have to ditch the Clio gearbox. Its like stiring porridge compared to most japanese performance cars. Any kit that hard links the gearbox to the lever will find the vibration issue I think as its the link to the gearbox itself thats the culprit. Theres not a cost effective option to get any rubber to dampen the vibration without creating play. I guess a custom hard rubber bush or two may have worked but its not cheap to go that route as you usually have to by thousands at a time.
I'm guessing the ZPO prototype had some issue like this and thats why its not gone into production.
For the sake of a little weight penalty and some lead shot - I know where my money will go.

Kevs 100% right. Lead shot in the shift tube and a preloaded NMB bearing shut mine up to levels I can just about live with.
Failing that, new OEM with brass inserts are probably as good as you’ll get.

The likes of the CAE etc suffer less as they’re all designed for boxes with cable operated shift. The BMS/modified Scenic item isn’t quite right either even though it attempts to fix the issue with a middle ground approach. The issue I find is the control weights on it are too light and it doesn’t feel right to me. Just a long OEM shifter and the increased leverage means it has little to no feel. (Just my opinion).

Similarly I have a Numeric Racing billet shifter & cables for the Cayman which is as pretty to look at as it is use.
All solid roller bearings and so precise it makes a PMS feel like wooden spoon in custard.

DBCAFD1D-3CBD-4DCF-ADC3-9A639C773FBA.png

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Kevs 100% right. Lead shot in the shift tube and a preloaded NMB bearing shut mine up to levels I can just about live with.
Failing that, new OEM with brass inserts are probably as good as you’ll get.

The likes of the CAE etc suffer less as they’re all designed for boxes with cable operated shift. The BMS/modified Scenic item isn’t quite right either even though it attempts to fix the issue with a middle ground approach. The issue I find is the control weights on it are too light and it doesn’t feel right to me. Just a long OEM shifter and the increased leverage means it has little to no feel. (Just my opinion).

Similarly I have a Numeric Racing billet shifter & cables for the Cayman which is as pretty to look at as it is use.
All solid roller bearings and so precise it makes a PMS feel like wooden spoon in custard.

View attachment 1483276

Everything is built to a price. I'd imagine the average Clio owner would not pay whatever that comes in at. I'd hope that the original Porsche gearlever feel was better than a clio with a PMS shifter let alone that...

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Everything is built to a price. I'd imagine the average Clio owner would not pay whatever that comes in at. I'd hope that the original Porsche gearlever feel was better than a clio with a PMS shifter let alone that...
Mine had the original option Porsche short shifter which I have to say is pretty good. This is the true meaning of the words “bolt action” though. To be honest, the price isn’t that bad $700 USD.