ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

External waste gate on tce!?!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I love it when people come on asking for stuff and when people give their opinion they get all pissy about it..

Its a forum get used to it.

I for one would like to see a silly powered TCE so knock youself out, i look forward to the results

Listerine & Poledo
I am a grown up. :)

SRS!?!

s**t, sorry fella, I honestly had you down for a just-passed 17yr old.

In fairness, I just dumped a load of money into the doors of the Mazda, which would put me square in the camp of McD's night-racers too I suppose :quiet:

Ged

PD130 Peach
The fella wanted advice on an external waste gate not weather or not to do what he is doing. Otherwise the thread would have been called

"Should I bolt a bigger turbo on my tce"

Op has a right to get "pissy" over people who sit there and complain.

Btw. In my reading and experience, will be no need for an external wastgate with what you are doing :)

Clio tce
I love it when people come on asking for stuff and when people give their opinion they get all pissy about it..

Its a forum get used to it.

I for one would like to see a silly powered TCE so knock youself out, i look forward to the results

I'm used to it, opinions are welcome if they are constructive and not rubbish like... What you doin dat for maan, what you want is a bigger engine in it and a go faster stripe yeah boi....

I'm interested to see how it turns out too, Im not searching for high bhp, it's a 1.2 ffs, but it will be a better car to drive that is different and not something everyone has... The standard injectors are at the limit on 100bhp anyway.... Hens 182 has been discussed with pump etc.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
If needs be i have fuel pump from a 172 you can have, all ud need to do is cover the postage..

lol

Ask for help and opinions then get all gobby when you don't like the replies!! Yep some maybe pointless and some from people who know what they are talking about.

And still ignore genuine guidance so tbh waste of time this thread

Thanks for coming Westytce;)

Last edited:
  Clio tce
lol

Ask for help and opinions then get all gobby when you don't like the replies!! Yep some maybe pointless and some from people who know what they are talking about.

And still ignore genuine guidance so tbh waste of time this thread

Thanks for coming Westytce;)

Ignore guidance really, I think maybe re read the thread, I mean you can read right? I think I share the opinions of the ewg not really being worth while... That's agreeing not ignoring, yes.

Like I said post up if it's helpful... It's not Facebook lmfbo.

Clio tce
If needs be i have fuel pump from a 172 you can have, all ud need to do is cover the postage..

Nice offer but we will see when mapped what the score is...if needed I'll prob get fuel rail from a breaker with new injectors from Renault, fuel pump will prob be walbro etc... If they do one, not looked at this in detail yet.

Clio tce
The fella wanted advice on an external waste gate not weather or not to do what he is doing. Otherwise the thread would have been called

"Should I bolt a bigger turbo on my tce"

Op has a right to get "pissy" over people who sit there and complain.

Btw. In my reading and experience, will be no need for an external wastgate with what you are doing :)

Amen.

Agreed ewg not worth it, it's not a bhp monster and never will be.

I think a lot of people thought the tce would be the new r5... But companies dont seem to want to make decent products for it, hence a lot of custom work is needed.

You got these replies:
You'd be wasting money IMO, the 1.2 is never going to have the flow to worry about an internal wastegate causing boost creep

I try and avoid external gates under 400bhp as a general rule of thumb TBH

Then replied with:
It would look cool though....

im not doing it for power... It's a 1200 remember...

Thanks but Please keep opinions like this to yourself and be helpful with the technical side of things.

which gave this reaction:
Oh dear, you're one of those, lol

Because I find its just pointless extra weight and pipework and expense that simply isnt needed for lower power levels where the internal gates work well anyway.

So, you've been given plenty of Proper advice. but still argued??

Clio tce
You got these replies:

Then replied with:

which gave this reaction:

So, you've been given plenty of Proper advice. but still argued??

Why go through my thread and breaking it down with no input about the topic.... How is this helpful to me... Be polite and add some substance or treat your keyboard buttons to a kitkat.

I asked chip why... And yes it wold look nice on the manifold if done, fact.... So evidently I'm interested in factual info... also see my last post...

I've given you proper input. You don't need an external waste gate, I was running 360bhp on a gt2871r with no boost creep on an internal gate. The turbo you have doesn't have the option afaik for a non gated hotside. which then means you'll be going to the extra expense for no gain what so ever. With regards to the 1.2 engine, chip doesn't need to know about the specifics of an engine to know if its worth doing or not, especially on your application. I suspect He has built and mapped more high power turbo and NA applications than you've laid your eyes on. I've had the privilege of working with him, so I know to take his advice happily.

Clio tce
I've given you proper input. You don't need an external waste gate, I was running 360bhp on a gt2871r with no boost creep on an internal gate. The turbo you have doesn't have the option afaik for a non gated hotside. which then means you'll be going to the extra expense for no gain what so ever. With regards to the 1.2 engine, chip doesn't need to know about the specifics of an engine to know if its worth doing or not, especially on your application. I suspect He has built and mapped more high power turbo and NA applications than you've laid your eyes on. I've had the privilege of working with him, so I know to take his advice happily.

That's a bit better thanks, agreed the waste gate not worth it, end of boxed off... finished.

I'm sure chip knows his stuff interested to know how he knows and what he does.

Clio tce
im not doing it for power... It's a 1200 remember...

Thanks but Please keep opinions like this to yourself and be helpful with the technical side of things.

Chip I'm looking to keep the engine, and do a few bits that have not been done before so engine swop is not on cards. I've thought of buying second hand engine so could be used to make things easier like head work etc..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Personally I would advise against the "doing it to be different" approach, I see it all the time (I work part time as modified car magazine motoring journalist) and almost without exception it means blowing half a dozen grand just to end up with a small engine that now goes as well as a larger one you could have fitted for peanuts or sold your car and swapped to, and always with reduced reliability, increased fuel consumption, and then no one shows much interest in your "cool project" cause it's still not fast.

its fun playing with engines, but always start with the biggest one that comes as standard or easily fits IMHO so that for the same spend you end up with a lot more power.

Clio tce
I understand the point of view and your obligation from a professional point view too.

Im not going silly with it, some would disagree understood,

The cars to do list is below it's not much really,
Lowered
Spacers
Larger turbo gt1544
Custom fanimold to accommodate turbo
Full exhaust system
Larger fmic
Mocal oil cooler
Open filter
Naca bonnet vent
Remap
Larger front brakes prob hi spec ATM.

To compliment that injectors may be needed.

It's breathing mods really.

Last edited:
  Liquid Yellow 182 FF
As said surely it would make more sense to buy a 197, and then if you really wanted a turbo, do it to that rather than a 1.2tce engine?!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
iv had a look at those tce engines, your definatly going to need better injectors and a pump to even see any reall gains from the turbo swaps.

to say like you said, 100bhp is almost the max hp the standard tce injectors can handle. maybe more at a push, but think of it this way, its going to cost and arm and a leg to fix the fuel system if something goes wrong.

182 injectors i think fit, those coupled with a 172/182 fuel pump and you should see abit more power gain. ( still havent figured how the tce injector loom will pair up with 182 injectors ...? )

oh and one other thing, are you doing head work to accomodate the higher boost levels?
its a weak engine already, adding more stress is going to go bang.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
oh and one other thing, are you doing head work to accomodate the higher boost levels?

I would have thought you will see reasonable gains from a bigger turbo without needing to touch the head.
Turbo engines tend to be a lot less bothered about head mods, until you are talking big specific outputs (ie 200bhp+ per litre on most multivalve engines)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
iv had a look at those tce engines, your definatly going to need better injectors and a pump to even see any reall gains from the turbo swaps.

to say like you said, 100bhp is almost the max hp the standard tce injectors can handle. maybe more at a push, but think of it this way, its going to cost and arm and a leg to fix the fuel system if something goes wrong.

182 injectors i think fit, those coupled with a 172/182 fuel pump and you should see abit more power gain. ( still havent figured how the tce injector loom will pair up with 182 injectors ...? )

its a weak engine already, adding more stress is going to go bang.

A couple of people have fitted 182 injectors and fuel rails to tces and along with a few other mods have seen ~150bhp.

Someones just bought a 1.2 twingo on here with 140odd bhp

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't want a 197. A 197 isn't gvfm imo. Civic type r would make more sense for 200bhp.

Its better value than spending the same amount as the swap would cost on upgrades for your 1.2 which then wont be worth as much as a 197.

Clio tce
I would have thought you will see reasonable gains from a bigger turbo without needing to touch the head.
Turbo engines tend to be a lot less bothered about head mods, until you are talking big specific outputs (ie 200bhp+ per litre on most multivalve engines)

Ok brilliant, I think I'll buy a second hand engine incase anything does go pop. Think they go for about £ 500.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok brilliant, I think I'll buy a second hand engine incase anything does go pop. Think they go for about £ 500.

I would just do the mods to your current engine, and then if you have a problem go and buy a secondhand one to replace it, but so long as its mapped properly (and got suitable sized injectors to allow it to be in the first place) I dont see that you will have any big issues.

Clio tce
PHP:
Injectors and rail are now ordered. Will request it's added to the work being done now so it's all on for mapping.

Listerine & Poledo
Don't want a 197. A 197 isn't gvfm imo. Civic type r would make more sense for 200bhp.

If you mean Good Value For Money then I'm completely bemused as to how throwing money at a shopping trolley which will forever have the value of its base vehicle is in any way value.

The insurance will probably be similar, the only guaranteed saving is tax and I can't imagine an over-fettled TCE is going to bring in MPGs anywhere near the book and far closer to a 182 (if not the Mk.3 R.S. Clios).

I know you're going to anyway and hats off to you for it. Hell if we all just did as CS says then the club would be a far duller place, it's just I get my head around what you're trying to actually achieve. But that's my problem

Clio tce
If you mean Good Value For Money then I'm completely bemused as to how throwing money at a shopping trolley which will forever have the value of its base vehicle is in any way value.

The insurance will probably be similar, the only guaranteed saving is tax and I can't imagine an over-fettled TCE is going to bring in MPGs anywhere near the book and far closer to a 182 (if not the Mk.3 R.S. Clios).

I know you're going to anyway and hats off to you for it. Hell if we all just did as CS says then the club would be a far duller place, it's just I get my head around what you're trying to actually achieve. But that's my problem

Ok fair crack, the vfm was in regards to a 200bhp car, IMO jap would be better vfm.... Great thing to say on Clio forum.... I'll wait for the abuse.... Lol.

What am I looking to achieve, a unique car that drives well. I have a few grand spare so am trying to enjoy the project...

Listerine & Poledo
Just buy an old Valver or an MX-poverty then, they'll be far better drives than what you'll end up with fella.

Oh and don't worry about CS getting hangbags over reliability, pretty sure everyone's had at least 1 issue with their french tin ;)