ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R Timing - how to tell if it's ouit?

None
I just had my dephaser and both belt kits done at a mechanic mate of the original dealership where I got the car from - drove the car back and it seems to run really nicely, smooth idle and can't feel any problems, just wondering how I can tell if the timing is out at all?
They reassured me that they had the proper timing tools for the engine, just want to make sure so that if it's out I can go back and get them to re-do it.

Only thing I did notice when I popped the bonnet was that the engine was shaking a bit - not a lot, mind. Just me being paranoid probably but I've read a lot of threads about this engine!

Sounds 1,000,000% better with the new dephaser though, I still keep expecting it to start rattling!

None
I don't have the resources / knowledge to do that so I'm looking to see if there are any symptoms to check for - I can't exactly go back to the garage and say "do you mind stripping it all down and checking the timing again for me, just in case it's out"...

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
depends how far out it is( or could be) lack of power, dodgy idle, hard to start.. can vary.. if you cant notice a significant power loss then its probs fine.

None
Thanks guys - will take it out for a spin and see how it feels, when you say "kick" what would I feel at 5,000rpm? Also if I stick it on a dyno would it be obvious from the reading if it was out?

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Thanks guys - will take it out for a spin and see how it feels, when you say "kick" what would I feel at 5,000rpm? Also if I stick it on a dyno would it be obvious from the reading if it was out?

Literally, like a jolt through the car. I hated it. The RS Tuner has smoothed it out.

BMW M135i
dyno is all well and good.. But i think we all know how inacurate some can be..S he may be 7bhp down but get a 8-9hp hike from a poor or over enthusiastic dyno operator
And that still shouldn't change the shape of the torque curve.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

oJpjHEfE.jpg

Ph1
Can you not just whack the end caps off and insert the D-clamp? - If it slots in, timed up right. Price of a set of caps is only a few quid ?

TVR Cerbera
Can you not just whack the end caps off and insert the D-clamp? - If it slots in, timed up right. Price of a set of caps is only a few quid ?
Yep, easiest way to check, put it at TDC and check cam slots line up. Also will be around 30bhp down on a RR from what ive seen in the past