ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F7P tuning options

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Toying with an idea of a project with a base engine of a 1.8 16v F7p.

Now what are my tuning options on this?

Off the top of my head (and not in order of how much they cost!)

Turbo conversion
TBs
Just cams and headwork
2.0 conversion
2.0 conversion + any of the above :)

Now if I was wanting to turbo it is the 1.8 better for this, or is the 2.0 always better whatever you wanted to do?

It's been a few years since I had one of these engines in a car, and even then it was nice and standard :p

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
What kind of power would that be pushing out? I'm guessing that's not too cheap though :p

As for the f7r conversion what's the best thing to do nowadays, pickup a willy lump, or get a whole megane lump, or mix and match the megane and f7p? :)

Just something about having a silly amount of power and a turbo that's appealing to me, but that'll cost a lot more.

Apologies for all the questions, it's something I've wanted to do for ages and a car's come up that means I might be able to give it a go :)

yep , looking at 220 odd bhp engine in a williams shell , lighter so more power per tonne ;)

It'd have to be going into a Clio to have a williams shell, it wouldn't be... ;)

williams 2
yeah not far off,

if your gonna go for itbs then the megane has a better head, you will also need the flywheel too unless you want to play around with trigger wheels etc. SO megane might be best, get an omex with a loom and your almost there. With a 2l, nice cams, some headwork and itbs you should see around 220-225. With more of a bottom end i.e pistons and rods prob around the 240! Turbos are cool but if its too powerful you cant drive it as your concentrating sooooo hard on keeping it in a straight line.

Wait for our one (it is mine but no dought andy will keep on taking people out in it and call it ours ;) ) and see what you think. It will be ready around end of january and should be quite fun.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good, and expensive :) Maybe start off with a hybrid style conversion and work from there. The car has a bigger wheelbase than the Clio and possibly a bigge rengine bay, so not sure if that makes things easier or better :)

williams 2
Sounds good, and expensive :)

Yes and no! Around 4-5k for a build like mine! If you dont have that budget then a f7r with cams and remap will be plenty fast enough! We remaped one a few months back, standard with cams made just shy of 190bhp. that was stripped and that thing flew! :)

as Mark says, 2.0 it and go from there, but descide before hand if you want ITB's, as the Megane engine is better shaped on the port side for them, but a pain in the arse to use the full engine if you're not going to ITB's... in which case a Megane bottom end and Willy head is your best bet. Another bit of advice is if you get a 2.0 bottom end rebuild it asap, as some are absolute dogs.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
there is a school of thought that says if you're going to turbo a lump, use the 1.8 as its naturally revvy

what car you got then Chris? - ironic you getting a 1.8 engine as I get my 172 engine :D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't got it yet, if I get it it'll be after Xmas, but it's just a pipe dream of something I've always wanted to do :p (it's not that exciting though)

I'm really swaying towards some boostage so would probably stick to a 1.8 for that, will have enough hassle with a turbo conv. so throwing a whole new engine in there will just make it worse/more expensive! Although the other option is chuck a 1.8t in lol, but that'll also be grief.

The 172 isn't going, this would be a little project on the side :)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
1800 vag lump is not easy....
turbo conversions, quite alot of parts needed....
s/c is also an option

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Did think about s/c, but think you lose the power steering, which might not be too bad.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I'm loosing powersteering putting a 172 lump in

mk1 is fairly light though, so you don't notice it too much

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm loosing powersteering putting a 172 lump in

mk1 is fairly light though, so you don't notice it too much

Yeah it probably wouldn't matter, but then it's not going to be a Clio :)

Put a 172 lump in chris, Im confident enough now to be able to have them done as a drive in-drive out conversion in 2 weeks!

You have pm...

2005 Nissan Navara
yup ITBS on an F7R are the way!

I built one 2-3 weeks ago..headwork, 278* cams, forged pistons, made a real 220bhp and 183LBft. Absolute animal of a car to drive.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
has that been confirmed? i thought they gave each car a 'printout' and each happened to be bang on 227 or something?

williams and trophy
lol.^^^^

have u got an engine for yours now mark?? i know a guy is pretty pissed off with u round here for saying ud have his so hes turned down a lot of offers for it cos u havin it....no replies off you tho....think he would like tto know one way or the other rather than get messed about.

f7p turbo vs vag turbo....errrr no comparison really...vag would get my vote evry time. and the cost in the conversions wouldnt be far off either.

vag it mate.

535d / t5 caravelle
aye, cool, thought you must have been nuts! ;) what kind of power will that be running with throttle boddies?

535d / t5 caravelle
while where on the subject of throttle boddies what ever happened to the kits which everyone one was going on about this time last year and where to be released in jan 2007? it was a nice cheap way of getting throttle boddies as far as i can remember? did it ever come off? i'll presume not?

S2000
The Angelworks kit? Dunno, all went quite.

yeah could have been, cant rermember that far back now, so nothing ever came of it then, shame sounded good at the time!

I think these are still ongoing tbh as I saw something in a thread the other day where somone had pictures of the set Ben had developed for the 1.6 clios, so hopefully they will appear at some point.

there is something in this months PPC about cheap TBs

Anymore details? who from and how much?

Why cant F4R's be so easy to tune :( lol

easy? that's got ITB's, cams, steel bottom end etc etc lol

F4R's make about 220ish without the bottom end

and FYI mine only made 217bhp on GDI's rollers, not 227 ;) :rasp:

oh... if anyone does want some bodies, I'm selling my Jenvey kit (in for sale section)