ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fallout 3

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yup. Broken Steel.

New monsters, new factions, new interior locations, raised level cap and revised ending. Amongst other things.

BMW 328 Ci
I never got to do the final mission. I was on it, nearly finished visiting every location when my playstation broke and I lost it all. I dont have the heart to play though it again.

Ive watched every different ending on youtube now.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i got jipped, i thought i was doing the side missions and was actually doing the main story :(

luckily i saved just before taking on the final mission, so going back and leaving that well alone!

Mito Sportiva 135
110 hours for me now, not even started The Pitt or finished the main quest still either :eek:

Although think I may be shooting myself in the foot as when Broken Steel comes out there won't be 10 levels of xp left to get I don't think!

Hmmm. Initial impressions are that it's a bit clunky. The PC interface sucks a bit, and the general scope seems a bit geeky. I don't really want to have to go through the PIP Boy thing just to select another gun that has no ammo.

"Look, man. I only need to know one thing - Where. They. Are."

Octy VRS
Patience Roy, the first couple of hours are a bit slow to get you used to s**t. It is a bit paint by numbers but stick with it. It is an epic game but you don't get much ammo etc to start, you will find you run out a lot. Concentrate on mellee to start. Later on you will have ammo and grenades coming out of your ears.

Oh yeah for sure. It's more this PIP Boy thing that worries me. Hopefully I can set it up so the mouse wheel scrolls through weapons. Having to go into a menu to select a different gun is not how I roll.

Basically, the PC interface sucks major league c0ck as far as I can tell. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. The VATS thing is quite cool. BOOM! headshot!!!1111123

Mito Sportiva 135
Roy, you can assign quick keys on the console so sure you must be able to on PC.

Yes boring at the beginning but it drags you in...seems like a lifetime ago I left the Vault and emerged into the wastelands...memories! ;)

A shiny black one.
You can assign numbers 1-8 on the keyboard for weapons, go into pipboy in weapons and hold down one number from 1-8 and whilst holding each number select a weapon, job done.

Cheers for the tips, gays. I expected it was going to be very different to the average FPS, so I can't really complain. I've just left the vault and I'm now wandering around wondering why the 'run' key makes me walk.

Turning capslock on and off changes whether the run key makes you run or walk, if you know what I mean?

Yeah it toggles. It's just that 'run' actually makes you go slower. The 'walk' is more of an extremely slow creep. Basically it's quite slow making progress, which is fine as I guess iot suits the style.

When do I get the tanks n shi't? :p

A shiny black one.
Yeah it toggles. It's just that 'run' actually makes you go slower. The 'walk' is more of an extremely slow creep. Basically it's quite slow making progress, which is fine as I guess iot suits the style.

When do I get the tanks n shi't? :p

Sadly no tanks, would have been good to have a car like fallout 2.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Cheers for the tips, gays. I expected it was going to be very different to the average FPS, so I can't really complain. I've just left the vault and I'm now wandering around wondering why the 'run' key makes me walk.

have you stole loads of shite? that weighs you down also having a Gun or weapon drawn means you run slower

have you stole loads of s**te? that weighs you down also having a Gun or weapon drawn means you run slower

Not really. Even at the very start of the game, walking was very slow. Well, running, since the controls are arse about face. I've just had another seesion and TBH I'm really not enjoying it. The interface and combat system on PC are pretty far from intuative. Everything about the controls feels wrong, including the mouse. It reminds me a bit of how Halo felt on PC. Clearly it was coded for a joypad with virtually no effort put into the PC version. If it were not for the reputation the game has, I would give up at this point and chalk it up as crap.

I may try playing it with the 360 pad, but then I won't be able to aim :D

I'm not feeling it at all. In fact, if I'd bought it in a shop, and not via Steam, I'd probably be taking it back as an unwanted gift or something. Perhaps I'm mssing something? To be constructive, here are the cons IMO;

Poorly weighted movement, no mouse smoothing. Incredibly poor interface and extremely clunky - pausing the game with the pipboy during a gunfight, and taking your time switching weapons without being able to take any hits - yeah that really feels like I'm looking at a wrist mounted computer in real time...Key bindings won't accept alternative mouse buttons. Not able to run, so it takes hours to get anywhere. Obvious headshots don't always kill, even when the target has no armour. Graphics from 2004. No physics to speak of.

I'll leave aside the gameplay, as I'm struggling to get into it. Not because there's little direction, but because I'm struggling with all the cons.

Oh well. I will give it one more go tomorrow before uninstalling.

alien green rs133
I'm not feeling it at all. In fact, if I'd bought it in a shop, and not via Steam, I'd probably be taking it back as an unwanted gift or something. Perhaps I'm mssing something? To be constructive, here are the cons IMO;

Poorly weighted movement, no mouse smoothing. Incredibly poor interface and extremely clunky - pausing the game with the pipboy during a gunfight, and taking your time switching weapons without being able to take any hits - yeah that really feels like I'm looking at a wrist mounted computer in real time...Key bindings won't accept alternative mouse buttons. Not able to run, so it takes hours to get anywhere. Obvious headshots don't always kill, even when the target has no armour. Graphics from 2004. No physics to speak of.

I'll leave aside the gameplay, as I'm struggling to get into it. Not because there's little direction, but because I'm struggling with all the cons.

Oh well. I will give it one more go tomorrow before uninstalling.

i honestly agree 100% with what you are saying.

ill give it a bash for a bit then free up my harddrive of this over rated cack

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
its a great game Roy, I feel what you are saying, but once into it it really overcomes all those issues and is truly EPIC.

Evo 8 MR
You've got to make use of VATS as much as possible and it is really hard to get kills early in the game but once you get a decent arsenal and improve your skills with the weapons your shots get more accurate and do more damage so it gets a lot better.

Plus your movement becomes quicker especially if you add on points to the right skills when you level up as this is how you define what type of character you will be. Don't forget this is an RPG and the basic rule of an RPG is start out weak and build your character to become a strong warrior, your a kid that's just swam out of a fishbowl into an ocean what do you expect? This is what Fallout 3 is all about.

I don't mind any of these things but, poor controls cannot be excused. VATS - if I don't have the skills, then don't show three rounds connecting with her face if she isn't going to die :D Golden rule of game design - never make the player feel cheated.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Critical head shot, but there still walking abou fine is a little annoying.

Evo 8 MR
I don't mind any of these things but, poor controls cannot be excused. VATS - if I don't have the skills, then don't show three rounds connecting with her face if she isn't going to die :D Golden rule of game design - never make the player feel cheated.

How can you say it's poor controls when it has the same basic layout as most other FPS titles?

How can you say it's poor controls when it has the same basic layout as most other FPS titles?

I already explained why I think it has poor controls but I'll expand.

Poor weighting, no feeling of mass at all (this is probably a visual thing by way of how the gun moves/doesn't move). No mouse smoothing, so very jerky. No abilty to bind alternative mouse buttons. So, for example, you can't assign the pipboy to an alternate mouse button. No ability to run. Pipboy interupts the game completely, even though it's meant to be a wrist mounted computer. It's just clunky. No fluidity. Plenty of reviews echo many of my points so I'm not making it up.

That's how I can say it has poor controls :)

I can see a glimmer of hope in its scope. It may well turn out to be great game, I don't doubt that, but it does have some pretty basic flaws that the player needs to forgive before he can properly enjoy it. Or at least the PC version does. It's an RPG style game that's also trying to be an FPS, and in the latter department, it's failing quite hard for me at the moment. VATS is cool, and quite satisfying, except when face shots don't kill.

No doubt I would grow to love it. I'm certainly going to try a session later today. Nontheless, it'll always have these flaws.

Goliath I
This game needs a lot of time and dedication put in to really start enjoying and get the most out of it. You can't just walk out of the vault and start killing things with one shot to the head otherwise what would be the point in better, more powerful weapons and levelling up? Your facing a big guy, he's got a bloody big gun, what do you do? take his legs to slow his pace? shoot the gun out of his hands? dodge his fire while drilling his body? Its a very tactical game with pleny of desicions to make. Even after hours of play you still find yourself constantly fixing up weapons, minimising ammo use and stalking round the enemy planning your every move.

You also need to look past the slight flaws that it has and focus on what it does well, otherwise there is no point in even trying to play the game as you'll just have a constant thought of its bad points and won't be able to enjoy the game

This game needs a lot of time and dedication put in to really start enjoying and get the most out of it. You can't just walk out of the vault and start killing things with one shot to the head otherwise what would be the point in better, more powerful weapons and levelling up? Your facing a big guy, he's got a bloody big gun, what do you do? take his legs to slow his pace? shoot the gun out of his hands? dodge his fire while drilling his body? Its a very tactical game with pleny of desicions to make. Even after hours of play you still find yourself constantly fixing up weapons, minimising ammo use and stalking round the enemy planning your every move.

You also need to look past the slight flaws that it has and focus on what it does well, otherwise there is no point in even trying to play the game as you'll just have a constant thought of its bad points and won't be able to enjoy the game

All valid points. Yeah I did say that you have to forgive the flaws to enjoy it (it seems) but that doesn't mean they can't be discussed. They are there. One thing a disagree with is the 'one shot to the head' comment. Golden rule - headshots always kill. If the game prevented me from connecting with headshots due to poor accuracy then fine. Clear faceshots that don't kill, are not fun.

Golf R/Leon FR
Roy, my advice would be to try it with the 360 pad, and give it a good rinse.

You might not be able to aim as well with the pad, but you'll get used to it and may find the controls better.

As said about the walking/running slow, you might be carrying too much weight, which slows you right down. Once you find some locations, you can fast-travel to them, which saves you walking for half the game.
Find Megaton and im sure you'll start liking it.

Im over 105hrs into the game on not finished yet. imo EPIC game

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm. Initial impressions are that it's a bit clunky. The PC interface sucks a bit, and the general scope seems a bit geeky. I don't really want to have to go through the PIP Boy thing just to select another gun that has no ammo.

"Look, man. I only need to know one thing - Where. They. Are."

Vasquez quotes - FTFW! If only you could get her as a sidekick in the game. ;)

Royston - the PC controls in this game utterly and whole-heartedly suck the camel's c0ck. They are truly awful. I've forced myself to look beyond its failings and its definitely worth it.

It's funny playing Fallout 3 and then exiting and loading up something like Crysis or BF2142. It's like the character you now control has transformed from a one-legged, blind and incoherant Frankenstein's monster to a dainty and nimble ballerina. The controls are just that different in terms of fluidity and dynamics.

D.

Roy, my advice would be to try it with the 360 pad, and give it a good rinse.

You might not be able to aim as well with the pad, but you'll get used to it and may find the controls better.

As said about the walking/running slow, you might be carrying too much weight, which slows you right down. Once you find some locations, you can fast-travel to them, which saves you walking for half the game.
Find Megaton and im sure you'll start liking it.

Im over 105hrs into the game on not finished yet. imo EPIC game

Yeah I may well do that. RE: running - I thought I was quite clear :D - I'm not carrying much at all. It's not just the slow speed, it's the fact that the 'run' button makes you walk even slower. What kind of logic is that?? Yeah I discovred the travel feature late last night. Again, it breaks up the flow of the game and doesn't seem to mkae sense but, at least it speeds up...travelling :)

It would be nice if the game popped up hints and tips at the early stages. Many games do this to help the player along the learning curve.