ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fantoms budget PH1 Track car

RenaultSport 172
Think grey is better tbh. If if ever head down the breakers for manual windows then I'll get a 1.2 dash top too :)

RenaultSport 172
A little present turned up yesterday

nhry3f.jpg

Williams 2
Coming along nicely, do you have the ally bonnet?

Regarding the air con, I recently removed the compressor/pumps/rad etc from my ph1.

Pretty straightforward, I bought the 172 cup alternator, upper and lower bracket, and a 6pk 1125 belt from ebay. Cost £80 for all the parts needed.

There are cheaper ways if you read up about the Volvo/Laguna alt brackets.

RenaultSport 172
Hi Ricky. Yes it has the ally bonnet which is good.
I really want to lose the aircon. Hopefully will do that this year when it's warmer.
Ill probably buy the pure Motorsport kit. Might look out for a second hand one.
must lose loads of weight

RenaultSport 172
Had a delivery this morning

8Pfk50.jpg

Just need to order a battery tray/holder
Going to put the standard battery behind the passenger seat. Decided against a lightweight battery as I hardly use the car.
Would rather spend the money elsewhere

Lancia Integrale
Had a delivery this morning

8Pfk50.jpg

Just need to order a battery tray/holder
Going to put the standard battery behind the passenger seat. Decided against a lightweight battery as I hardly use the car.
Would rather spend the money elsewhere

What size cable did you go for bud?

RenaultSport 172
I went for 50mm2 as per the thread you were commenting on in the interior section. It's massive but seems good quality.
Got the 10mm terminals to match

Williams 2
How are you connecting the terminals to the battery cable mate?

I've got cable and terminals, not sure best way to fix them together, my crimping pliers aren't big enough!

RenaultSport 172
How are you connecting the terminals to the battery cable mate?

I've got cable and terminals, not sure best way to fix them together, my crimping pliers aren't big enough!

Not sure yet. Was just gonna crimp them but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I want to get rid of the sound deadening under the passenger seat before I move the battery behind there

RenaultSport 172
Finally got some time to play about with my clio today:

Picked up a flocked dash top from @Toms_clio so first job was to swap that over.
Went from this:

LRQhAG.jpg

bJDn4d.jpg

To this:

1Fs2Sq.jpg

4cYKJD.jpg

JS2Ymr.jpg

Really pleased with it, and nice to lose the hole that the airbag left.

Then I decided to do something about the very grey side strips as they look terrible. Took them off to spray them:

0j8qJy.jpg

0yB8hF.jpg

9adhXS.jpg

cLSV6K.jpg

Had to leave it there as I ran out of gloss black. Will probably end up doing the door handles to match now as they won't match any more

Last up was the nasty sound deadening. I already removed some of it over winter but this time I borrowed my dads heat gun. Much easier. What a horrible job though

jdMP1b.jpg

YjcTk9.jpg

And I couldn't be bothered to spend ages cleaning so gave it a quick wipe over with white spirit. It won't be on show anyway under the seat. Then I bolted in my new battery tray ready for the relocation. Had to give up here though as what should be a simple job becomes even harder as I couldn't get the power steering reservoir of the way to pull my battery cable through as the blasted strut brace was in the way. Can't take that off without getting both front wheels off and arch liners out the way so I called it a day at this point

mL92y3.jpg

Going to modify my passenger seat subframe while it's out the car to make it sit lower.

Getting there but still plenty to do :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I stripped the tar pads from mine this weekend too! You had less around the centre console than mine which is strange. I suppose it depends on which Frenchman is doing it.

RenaultSport 172
That's weird. Its heavy stuff aint it!
I've still got to do under the drivers seat but I'm in no hurry to do that.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I took 5kg out, that was all the passenger side, drivers side and the boot. There is more in the doors, behind the rear door cards, on the bulkhead and on the roof. I'd hazard a guess and say 10-12kg in total.

I only did mine as I had the seats out getting the buckets in for Anglesey on Wednesday, I'm not sure I'll do the rest as I don't want to take the dash or the headlining out unless I have to.

RenaultSport 172
I saw behind the rear door cards but I'm not doing them or the roof as like you I'm not removing the headlining or dash. There's no point while I still have aircon so I need to get rid of that as my next weight saving mission!

RenaultSport 172
Ok so I finished up the side strips today:

2Yd1FX.jpg

Used a bit of AF citrus power on here:

LKqYvP.jpg

Fitted:

ajQp4c.jpg

Door handles do look crap now but I'm pleased with the strips.

Then as I had a spare few minutes I thought I'd ditch the rear wiper:

Before:
AB6wDd.jpg

Whipped it off after a bit of mucking around

7FZ1V8.jpg

This was pretty terrible

MpXYh4.jpg

Primed:

g38mJZ.jpg

Painted:

BzH6jx.jpg

Fitted:

fpQgTj.jpg

Just need to add a rubber grommet now.

MOT tomorrow :( It better pass!

RenaultSport 172
MOT failed :(

Luckily only a couple of small things to sort. Fog light bulb, hazards don't work properly and the emissions were no good

RenaultSport 172
Ok so the MOT is now passed :)

Managed to get my battery relocation sorted this weekend. Just need to tidy a few bits up but I'm pretty happy with it
Not got finished pics yet

Here is my modified passenger subframe. This is now about 1.5" lower so much better.

bcPysn.jpg

Got the battery out
97Ls1X.jpg

And its new location
3CqHDJ.jpg

Will get some better pics soon. I also fit the new induction kit from @Ph1 Tom but I haven't driven the car yet

Need to get the ecu out of its cage and cable tie it down. Then mount my new battery fuse and tape up some of the wiring, few cable ties to tidy it and then its all sorted :)

RenaultSport 172
Ok so the battery relocation is all finished and working perfectly :)
Just need to secure the ECU with some brackets which I'll do next weekend

Yesterday I got the spark plugs changed. Was quite an easy job, much easier than on my ST220!

DJKx0N.jpg

Old VS new.... No idea how old they were though

nMDS18.jpg

Here's the new look engine bay with ph1Tom's home made induction kit

gJvTf1.jpg

D5f9S2.jpg

And just a few relocation pics
I could probably tidy up the length of the wires a bit in the future

3zHkQK.jpg

mXbAct.jpg

y48tRd.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Just a quick pic from the Ace Cafe the other night:

bFQWAz.jpg

And today's progress. The Ecu is now out of its cage and bolted down :)

YCLXWB.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Just some pics from the Renaultsport trackday at Brands Hatch :)
Car was faultless but the next day the exhaust bracket snapped in half!

f3TA58.jpg

FZcSG0.jpg

mrfjJx.jpg

PFzm1N.jpg

RenaultSport 172
So another very quick update:

I found the steering wheel a little too far away so I bought this:

SwWNpT.jpg

And then it was off to Bedford for the Renaultsport day. The car was great again apart from having problems with my spacers on the way there. I have now bought a better stud & nut kit to try and sort it

mxyqwB.jpg

Sw45bP.jpg

aMkPnT.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Finally got round to fitting my new stud & nut kit. This time I have fitted the studs into the hub. I should have done this in the first place!
It's similar to the pure motorsport kit so hopefully will fix all my issues

FZN82B.jpg

Can you tell I don't use the car much?

vTWtC1.jpg

And with the wheel fitted:

wpnHjs.jpg

Unfortunately I can no longer do the nuts up properly as the studs are a bit long. I have ordered a deep socket for my torque wrench which will solve that :)

I have also bought a bargain aircon delete kit. That's a job for later in the year

Civic FN2 Track Car
Wow cheap as chips I think I paid £120 for mine, btw I got my engine sorted finally :D

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's very cheap. I got my stuff for £70 and thought it was cheap. I run shorter studs and closed nuts though.

The car is looking good on track :) happy with the induction kit?

RenaultSport 172
That's very cheap. I got my stuff for £70 and thought it was cheap. I run shorter studs and closed nuts though.

The car is looking good on track :) happy with the induction kit?

Yes it's made the car nicer to drive that the standard set up for some reason. It's smoother and not so jerky.