ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO 1991 Clio 1.4 owners!

I would like to fit an induction kit to my car, but as it does not have an ECU im not sure weather it would work, or knacker my engine.

Having no ECU I dont think it will have an Air / Fuel regulator, Theirfore the Fueling system will have no way of matching the extra air with extra fuel.

Has anyone out their fitted one to a 1.4 ? If so were any alterations needed to be done to the Fueling system?

Thanks...

Skoda Fabia vRS

are you certain its not got an ECU, it more than likely has

does your air box have 3 bolts ?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Ummm all the 1.4 mk1 have the same engine, phase 1 more powerful but slower then the phase 2 mk1s. Anyway, yes, a induction kit will fit and work but not very well. Unless youve got loads of cold air ducting or a vavler bonnet to keep the engine cool, youll notice no power gains, but it will roar!!!

I have a k&n 57i on my 1.4 by the way.

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 25 March 2003

Ummm all the 1.4 mk1 have the same engine, phase 1 more powerful but slower then the phase 2 mk1s.
Ay what? Explain. I thought they were the same engine, and how can a mk1 have more power but be slower than a mk2? Or am I reading it wrong?

Paul

Ahhh fook...

It has NO ECU !!!!!!!!!

Its got a choke lever... Hense no ECU... ANYONE GOT A CLIO 1.4 WITH A CHOKE LEVER??????????????????????????????????????? WHO IS ABLE TO ANSWER MY QUESTION ?

my RT came out the factory on a twin choke webber Hence no ECU. some of the very early LHD H reg RTs were fitted with the old renault 5 GT turbo engine, but these are rare ive only ever seen two in the UK.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

This thread is confusing! 1.4 phase 1 engines either have an ECU or dont. Do all 1.4 p1 have a choke? An IK will be fine for it anyway nfbr.

The phase 2 probably has more torque than the phase 1 hence it being quicker. Did they put a cat on the phase 1s? :confused:

Some, especially the dif edition clio slike the fidji had a carb, not injection hench his choke lever.

You will have to look about for an IK, or just get one that fits.

I dont think you will need ot adj fueling unless the std airbox is so poor that even with the increase in inlet temps you run lean.

But go to a MOT centre, take the airbox off totally, rev up to 4500 rpm or higher if you dare then test the CO level. But make sure the bonnets closed and the engine hot.

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 25 March 2003

Nope thats right, the mk1 phase 1 had 80bhp, the mk1 phase 2 had 75bhp but the mk2 is faster! I dont understand either but its true! Maybe the phase 2 is lighter or loses less power or summit, I dunno!!

See here -> http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/performance/performance.asp?model_id=238http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/performance/performance.asp?model_id=238
Well I had heard that the old 1.4s werent originally designed to have a cat on them. Because of leglislation renault started fitting them. So as its not really designed for the cat it would probably work better without it. I know most cars are supposed to get more power when you remove the cat, but with the old 1.4 its probably more so as they werent supposed to have them in the first place.

So maybe the mk2 is quicker because it was designed to run with a cat.

Paul

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Well I had heard that the old 1.4s werent originally designed to have a cat on them. Because of leglislation renault started fitting them. So as its not really designed for the cat it would probably work better without it. I know most cars are supposed to get more power when you remove the cat, but with the old 1.4 its probably more so as they werent supposed to have them in the first place.

So maybe the mk2 is quicker because it was designed to run with a cat.

Paul

Yep, thats probably true, think it came in 92 when it was law for all new cars, didnt the mk1s start at 90/91, so yeh, you get what Im trying to say.

wot is the difference between 2 bolts and 3 bolts in the air filter, does it tell em if its injection or not?

ne 1 race a ph1 against a ph2?

I have a 93 K reg RT which has 3 bolts on the airbox (no idea what the difference between 2 or 3 bolt air box) also it has an ECU wich means no choke lever

still no help to you queries:(

My Bad Boy RT has got twin 45mm downdraft webbers and an induction kit and an ECU and a choke lever but itrs not a GTT

its faster then a CTR, lower then go kart, got a phatter body kit then the whole of the fast and furious cast. it it sits on 18s with clear rear lights.

Of course this isnt OE

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Faster then a CTR? So your RT does 0-60 in less then 7 seconds and can hit 100 in less then 17? Top speed of more then 150mph as well?

Id expect your RT to 0-60 in 9 seconds at best, thats if the 18s dont scrub like hell and slow it down.

Basically, your talking out your stink hole

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Yup, was talking to Dunc off RSC with a GTT lump in his Clio the other day, said hed been out with Lowe (also GTT lump) running around 14 PSI and it had left a 172, but old RT_fanatic says hes got no GTT lump. Even with a GTT lump Id doubt itd keep up with a CTR on the twisties.

The GTT conversion a bit crude, The standard N/A 1400 8v is a great base, beter then a F7P or F7R, despiote all the mods mine really started pulling hard in everygear when i pressed the Ecotech into service.

any doubter can see my R/R slip when it bounced off the rollers at 165BHP

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 26 March 2003

wot is the difference between 2 bolts and 3 bolts in the air filter, does it tell em if its injection or not?

ne 1 race a ph1 against a ph2?
Me! my amte ahd a ph2, me a ph1, ssame engine mods, i had 17s, he had 16s, i had a BIG BIG install, he didnt, i still beat him all the time, not alot in it but all the time. this was standing starts, throught the gears, round corners, everything. Both had De-cat, zorst and filter

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

A very big piss taker, and this is coming from me who owns a RT!!!

The 1400 8v is a good engine, lot better then equivalent competitors but its not match for any F7P or F7R engine, come on those babys push out 137-150bhp!!!

jus raced my mate thats got a ph2 and i got a ph1, pissed on him still kept up though! all down to driver experience im guessin!

hes takin the piss.....

TWIN 45 DOwn draughts!! im assuming your talcing DCNFs then?

Go on, we need a pic before anybody takes you seriously, of the engine, we dont care what the shed looks like.....

If u can get 165bhp out of a 1.4 can someone please help me do that to mine ???

So does anyone think itll be fine puttin an induction kit on ????

My engine has 3 bolts in the airbox lid ??? I have seen filter advertised for 1.4 SPI clio 91 - 96 (3 bolts in airbox lid) £45.63

do you rekon this will be the right one ?? if so will it be fine to put it on my 1.4 Fidji (wiyout ECU)

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

The power will not go up unless youve got loads of cold air feed running to it and a vavler bonnet, even then, itll be nowt noticable, but it will roar like fock!

Rite ive been pullin my dash in bits and ive found that the choke lever doesnt have a Choke cable. Infact it has two electrical wires....

A manual carb/injection system wouldnt have a choke with two wires would it ??? This is making me think that their could be an ECU after all!!!! and that the Choke Lever is just their as their was no automatic choke built into the ECU.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Ummm no answer from me! Just thought Id reply to get it back to the top, maybe someone else can answer!!!

Personally, I thought any car after like 1990 had automatic choke, my E-reg VW Polo had a automatic choke!! That was class, sliding round every corner, so much fun to drive!! 0-60 in about 18 seconds, lol

I wish someone else had an answer.

Are their no Renault Experts on here? if not their should bloody be!!

any other forums i might be able to post this question on ?