ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Lee... F1 Championship

How realistic is it going to be Lee? Are we talking Need for Speed Shift Realism, rFactor/GTR Evolution or Live For Speed?

Also I do pray that the PC version isn't an "after thought" kinda of game :(

It almost certainly will be if we're honest. I'll wait for reviews but may well get this on x360 due to XBL. The PS3 can go f**k itself unless Sony release a modern controller between now and then.

Lee

BMW M2C
How realistic is it going to be Lee? Are we talking Need for Speed Shift Realism, rFactor/GTR Evolution or Live For Speed?

Obviously it's based on the tech used for all other Codies racing games, but we've re written the aero(properly done based on the angle of the car and wings under changing loads and pitch etc.), engine, tyres (official tyre data used), transmission and gearbox code, as well as adding proper slip streaming, fuel usage which varies based on driving style and engine map as well as the time spent behind other cars etc.

We're going as hardcore as we can, then assists will make it easy enough for everyone to play. It's funny to see people struggle, then Anthony Davidson has a go and sets a time that even took me a few laps to beat!

Probably best I don't say anymore than that for now.

Lee, being coded under the GRID engine, are you in a position to confirm or disconfirm that the PC version will continue to display, shall we say, blurry graphics? GRID on PC always felt like it wasn't running in native. If the PC version (like GRID) has this effect, then I'll almost certainly get it on x360.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sounds immense!

Really can't wait for this, only F1 CE has been a good console play after many years playing the Grand Prix series, but 2010 sounds very very good.

Only concern is that I didn't really like Grid for the 24hours I owned it. Maybe I didn't give myself enough time to get to grips with it, but really hoping this will be a big step up from that and others.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Nice update. Lots of people upset at the absence of the safety car and formation lap. Possibly the game does not feature tyre temperature performance differences or assumes that all cars on the grid are at optimum temperature for race start.

Last edited:
The first official shots released have had seriously contrasting opinions, namely - the rain shot looks incredible, the sunny shot looks awful/blurry/bloomy/soft etc.

I've no idea what that particular hazy effect is or why it's used so often in 'next gen' games, but it looks horrible.

Lee

BMW M2C
GRID had a lot of bloom, DiRT had a lot less. Ours varies depending on which circuit you're at. The screenshots were taken weeks ago, and lighting and post processing is far from final in those shots of the dry hot circuits. It actually came up today, about how we want it to look.

Some people don't believe the rain shots are genuine, but they are. Driving in it with the cockpit cam you get a fine mist from a car in front, or larger drops when in clear air. It's absolutely stunning. The wet/drying track tech is very special too. If you catch a puddle you can feel it effect the balance of the car.

GRID had a lot of bloom, DiRT had a lot less. Ours varies depending on which circuit you're at. The screenshots were taken weeks ago, and lighting and post processing is far from final in those shots of the dry hot circuits. It actually came up today, about how we want it to look.

Ok thanks for the info dude. If one opinion matters, can I suggest/request that the PC version does away with the 'N64 blur chip', or at least has the option to turn it off. Remember a lot of PC gamers want to run at high resolutions with AA, and not have it look like they're playing at 720 blown up to 1200/1600. It looks great on consoles because they run lower res and less AA, so a bit of blurriness smooths things off, but a PC is capable of much crisper visuals. To deny gamers this option takes something away from the game, technically.

I'm torn between PC and 360. If the PC version is capable of looking like a high-end PC game, and not just a console port, then I'd probably go that way. Then again, a bit of a race over a few beers with friends in the living room is good. I may even buy both versions, IF the PC game is technically/visually superior.

That's my thoughts. Whether or not you or anyone on the team would value the opinion of a random, is a different matter. There are many many hardcore PC gamers still out there, and if it's a case of the coders flipping a few booleans here or there, and/or offering lots of advanced visual options in the menus to give us more flexibility to maximise our systems, then please do it! :eek:

EDIT: Oh and can you distribute it over Steam, please? Or at least please not use pointless Securom. PC gamers are getting pissed with shitty DRM forcing them to consider downloading a pirated version in order to avoid the anti-piracy (lol) measures from ruining their machine and telling them that their retail disc isn't inserted when it is. Danke.

Last edited:
Agree with Roy

I would say most of the people who will be buying it on a PC will be a more hardcore user. I believe in Grid there was an option to turn bloom off?

Still really looking forward to it as rFactor is getting a bit old graphics wise. Brilliant engine though. What would also be cool is if you could race the 2010 Season with the same weather that the teams had to deal with throughout the races.

Lee

BMW M2C
The bloom issue has already been raised this morning. I've made my position on it clear, as have most the design guys.

DiRT was available via Steam, so I see no reason why F1 won't be.

It's not really the bloom so much I'm concerned about. It's the constant nagging feeling that although set at 1920x1200, it's just being upscaled from a much lower res. Like non-native LCD. That's how GRID seemed at least. Either way the game looks awesome so far :)

Citroen DS3 DSport
Hopefully some videos will appear on YT after the event tonight.

f1-2010-20100316084856909_640w.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
Off topic...Lee what was that NFL game you worked on??

Never worked on an NFL game, worked on Lomu Rugby.

If there aren't any videos I'll run one off and upload it. Might do it from here later. Got wifi. I'll try and upload some photos from the venue later, but will most likely just stick them up on FB as that's easier for now.