ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO: Modded RT Owners

My mate is about to buy a phase 3 1.4 RT and there are a couple of things he wants to know;

He wants to put 15"s on it, but doesnt really want to lower it. Will 195/50s catch/scrape or is he better getting 195/45s

He also wants a valver bonnet. Can you put a phase 1/2 bonnet and lights on, what else needs doing, or is it too much work.

Thanks

Tom

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

If he doesnt lower it then any tyres on 15in wheels should be fine. Ive got 195/45s on mine and lowered it 30mm and theres no scraping at all.

As for the bonnet and lights, I think the front wings may be a slightly different shape to incorporate the ph 3 lights so he may need to fit ph 1 wings as well, lthough Im not 100% sure without having a good look at a ph 3 model.

Rick

Suzuki SV650

For a valver bonnet hed need phase 1/2 lights as the phase 3 are rounded and maybe phase 1/2 wings as well (valver wings!!! :D) Hed prolly be better off buying a Phase 2 or getting the bonnet vent cut out and slapped into his bonnet.

If hes gunna put 15s on please persuade him to lower it! If he isnt going to then either profile tyre wil be fine, mines got 195/50/15s on and it scrubs a bit on the inner arch lip on the rear drivers side, and youll prolly get a bit of scrubbage on full lock on the fronts too.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

He can buy mine already got 15" williams wheels lowered chiped stainless exhaust 16v interior decat induction kit etc etc etc be pushed to find a tidyer 1400 £2500 ovno.

Just get a Phase3 bonnet and cut a Valver vent into it.. or, be different and have a different vent? I decided just to badboy (although, difficult again cus of lights), smoothed Badge and no Vent..

Mine is Phase3, 195/50/15s on Valver wheels, lowered -35mm all round.. it catches.. but Im sorting it out slowly with my file - I know where it catches, so Im just filing it down until it stops! Can carry people tho, just have to be careful until I get rid of every little bit of offending metal which likes to touch my tyrewall!

i have ordered some 15s for my 1.4 so would appreciate some pics of rt s with 15 so i know roughly how big they will look.(they r fox 1 evo 195/45/15)

oh one more thing how much was ur bad boy bonnet cos i have a phase 3 aswell.did the price include a new bonnet or was it done to ur existing one and was it sprated.cheers

Lowered -35mm.. GMAX Springs on the Front, Torsion Bar Adjusted on Back all on standard shockers.

Passengers yes, but if you hit a bump it scrapes.. and if people in back and you hit a big bump, it scrapes worse.

Ive started fixing this tho - I know where its catching now, so Im slowly filing bits away to get rid of it.. Ive 80% done it now.. it dont scrape at all with just me in the car on bad bumps.. just with a passenger, it does scrape on bad bumps.. I know where its catching tho (it was smooth and paint rubbed away by tyre) so Ill file a bit more away then seal it when its fine.

Im sure after another session of filing, I can get rid of it.. dont wanna file too much away tho! Should be fine.

I am using 195/50/15 tyres tho.. maybe it wouldnt scrape if I had 195/45/15! I know Steve A said his 50 profile tyres scrapped and his 45s didnt! Its cheaper to buy 195/50/15s tho!

Quote: Originally posted by moddin_mad on 31 May 2003

oh one more thing how much was ur bad boy bonnet cos i have a phase 3 aswell.did the price include a new bonnet or was it done to ur existing one and was it sprated.cheers

I bought a new bonnet for the work to be done on so I wasnt without a car... new bonnet was about £86 I think from Euro Car Parts (inc vat, delivery)

I then got someone I know who does bodywork to do it.. took him 26 hours to smooth the badge out and put the badboy on.. so whatever it costs at a bodyshop near you. Its quite difficult cus of the rounded headlights to get right!

I then had to pay to get it sprayed up.. along with the rest of the bodykit..

Worked out quite expensive for everything, but it looks good.. so it makes up for it, hehe.

Daz.

Nope, you cant buy them already done unless you get a second hand one..

Any decent bodyshop should be able to do it tho.. but as I say, I know some people have had problems getting them made cus of the headlights.. the lad who did mine just tried extra hard to get it done.. heh.

I would suggest getting a new bonnet for the work to be done on tho, then you can give them it and let them play with it.. also, if it does restrict the headlights too much, you might need it for MOTs.. (I dont think mines been affected much at all.. I cant see any decrease in light levels, on dipped beam or full beam).

Give a few places a ring, pop your car down to them and let them have a look - get a few quotes and see what they say!

i have 195/50 r15s on my rt and the back right wheel does rub slightly on full lock.

why does no one else seem to have this problem?

Back right rubs on full lock? I dont have steering on the back.. heh.

I do get a little bit of rubbing on the front tho on full lock, on the inside of the arch.. not bad tho..

nor do i but it only seems to rub on tight bends. why does it do this? maybe its my crappy car, it seems to have a mind of its own most the time.

Hmm, Dunno.. Possible bodyroll?

Mine doesnt do it much at all now Ive filed the offending bits away - making sure its right then Ill seal it all! Only on the back tho on bad bumps!

I have 15s with 195/45, lowered 55mm at front and a lot (60mm at least I think) at back. It did rub a little at first, but things wear down! And I can have 5 people in....

Tim

ff 182

Hi mate you can get 16s on there and it wont scrape ur acrhes but if you want the car to handle well then its best to lower it.

You can get 17s on too if you get the right offset.

You can get 19s on if you try hard enough.. hehe... anythings possible I guess.

I know most people have said this but ive dropped 40mm all round with 195 45 15s and theres no scubbin with 5 people in. Lowerin it will make it look and drive tons better.

As for the bonnet, the wings will be ok but youll have a problem with the lights, Ive got a valver bonnet, and the easiest way round it would be to get phase 1-2 lights and fit em

Phase1/2 lights on the front would mean major changes.. the mounts mainly, then the shell, the bumper, the grill.. not worth it.. get a normal bonnet and cut a valver bulge into it, if you must have a 16v vent that much