ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FFS! Why me!! clio trashed

b*****d gritters never sorted the roads! Right i was just going around a bend at line 10-15mph and the f**kin contis let me down and the front passenger side slides out and I try to gently brake and pull into the skid and then away but its having none of it and skates straight into the w**k kerb. The alloys all stuffed and a massive chunk has been ripped off! The tire didnt bust and seems okay but the wheel is pushed back and touches the wheel arch when near full lock. Its about 1cm away from the arch and I hear a donging noise as it goes around (i assume its the suspension spring...hope its not f**ked cos i know they cost alot). It appears to pull to the left a bit but its difficult to tell in this weather.

is it fit to drive to a garage? or should i get renault assistance out? Whats likly to be broken and is it an insurance job?

So far its at least one alloy @ £125 any one know how much the scrappers charge for a perfect one (like mine used to be - no kerbing what-so-ever).

God, something aways has to happen to my motor every bloody year. Gutted.

2012 WRX Waggon

I did the same in my XR2 messin about in a frozen carpark!

bent a chassis member, cost about 500 quid....back in 89!!:(

I hit a raised grid in mine, ever so slight scuff, new wheel for a 172 was "only" 116 quid (builders paid!!!)

This happed to a friend who had a mk2 gti, he also lost one alloy but had to have the car jigged even thought the Golf is well strong...:confused:

dfdf

Yeah, gotta watch out when cornering in this weather. BTW is it just in Aberdeen or have the other council areas been doing a really poor job of gritting the roads recently. I can remember 4-5 years ago when there was much more snow but the roads were way better gritted than they have been this year.

Ill swear its down to cutbacks / privatisation :devilish:

320d M Sport

yup, track rod ends could be fooked too!

this stuff is never cheap to fix, happened to my mate.

oh, sh*t! what should i do? just been given a quote for £821.23 but there is two parts worth £200 that it might not need. the robbing c**ts tried it on with a bloody tyre at 78.05 (91.71) and they can feck off.

right, the low down:

alloy wheel £90

Front Suspension hub: 141.00 (possibly not needed) (30 mins labour)

Hub bearing: £43.40

Suspension knuckle: £78.50 (1.30hrs)

SUSP STRUT L: £47.60 (0.7hrs)

SUSP CONTROL ARM, L, LWR: £45.10 (0.4hrs) (poss not needed)

Front tyre £78.05 - they can kiss my ass

CHECK ADJ FOUR WHEEL ALIGN: £50

prices ex VAT.

Does it need all this stuff or what? What if the sub frame is damaged? Any ideas on reducing it?

Do I claim @ £400 excess or do i take the hit?

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

If you claim it will show on your premium for approx 3/5 yrs!! depending on ins comp. and youll loose your ncb (if not protected).

Personally Id take a hit and not claim if its not twisted the chassis.

try http://www.cit-ren.co.ukwww.cit-ren.co.uk they dismantle new/old clios. mail order service as well.

Mite be a little bit cheaper for the wheel etc.

I wouldnt take your clio out either esp if it has friggin contis on.

without the pointless tyre cos mine isnt damaged and hopefully without them two parts, I work it out as £488.64 inc. VAT. Expensive skid! AND ive got to pay my insurance today and i paid my road tax yesturday. Im gonna be bloody bankrupt! :(

Black 200 Cup

Pah, you bunch of benders. Just always be ready with a dab of handbrake and you neednt slow down in the snow and ice at all.
:p

Seriously, though... for £800 (+lost NCB etc etc) you could easily buy, tax and insure a fairly decent banger *just* to play in the snow with; its not even worth claiming on your insurance.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

sometimes i wonder why we bother paying insurance when all we do is pay for it ourselves. Maybe they should have a new policy called, write-off or theft.

Thats what a lad at work does. hes got a 200quid fessy 1.1pop on about £500 insurance. He rammed it into a post while pissing about.

Well, its going in on tuesday. I bet it wont be the same when it comes back so ill have to get rid next year.

These spares companies are havign a laught thy want £115 for a cd changer cable even Renault only want £90.

Id change the tyre as well though there could be internal damage to it all insurance companies pay for new one asfter crashed like that.

Cheaper paying for it out your own pocket though to save the lost NCB

Doh sound like it going to cost ya, i live in Darlington and the weather and snow etc is bad always, espec now, my conti where crap in that weather, BUT it would help you now but to help in future ive swapped my 185/55 to a 195/50 Goodyear Eagle Ventura and they are top notch in the snow/ice/wet compared to the contis better still Hi-Q do a set of 4 for £160 snotters!

Ph-Sold!

Gutted mate. I ran the corner of my MK2 into a gatepost in ice last month, 90 corner into work at 2-3mph, thought it was the wing and headlight but the whole chassis was bent, had to put that through insurance though, final bill was £2,400 :eek:

The MK2/3 clios seem to fold like tissue from what other guys on here have experienced.

All of those prices are an absolute rip off mate !! i mean £50 ex VAT for a wheel alignment !! Theyre basically saying bend over !! I could fix that for half that !!

I know but I can only drive it for short distances cos it rubs on the arches. Do the tyres really cost that? Should i just get them to deflate the spare tyre and whack that on and get a value tyre for the spare? A scrap yard offered an alloy for £82.25 inc vat and del. which is only £23 less than new. Looks like the clios got to go next year cos no doubt it wont be 100% right. They said I will get it back on wednesday so ill keep you posted.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i dowt it needs all that.i would check the lower wishbone/balljoint and the track rod end/track arm as they tend to be the bits that bend first.

Lionel Richie

i did the same thing at about 30mph, just bent the strut and needed tracking £47 for strut and £25 for tracking (needed a new front bumper, but it was only a tiny crack)

BTW i hit the kerb hard enough that the bottom cup the spring sits in ripped+bent the metal on the lower part of the strut tower!!!!!

seriously mate, jack it up and have a look yourself, get both wheels off, could save you some ££££ i did and saved over £500 (reno wanted to replace more than needed replacing)

grab the suspension and lower wishys and give them a good shake etc

you will have defo bent the strut (i doubt you need a new hub, those things are pretty solid!!)

Bad luck, but before you definately decide not to get a new tyre it is worth remembering that tyres can be seriously damaged by such an impact and it isnt always visible.

The tyre could suddenly bulge and then blowout, or you may have damaged the steel carcass inside. Then you could be back to Renault for more repairs.

I wish i had seen your post earlier fred! i wouild have done just that! I was tempted to get all the bits from the scrap yard cos a lad at work said he would help me rebuild it. Yeah the hub seemed to be very solid. Well its gone in today and i am paying for the new tyre for safety reasons. I think they are putting a michielin tyre so should be better than contis.

It should only really need the strut, bearing, alloy wheel and tyre but they want to replace the suspension knuckle which is not cheap. the most expensive part is the hub but they are gonna put it back together without a hub and controller arm first to see if its straight without them needing replacing, which is a saving of £240! - makes a big diffence! should then be £580 which is more like it but im sure I could have had a go myself for less but i need it back on the road cos ive got to get to blackpool on saturday and drive to an interview on friday.

See what wednesday brings. I hope its more £500 than 800!

God, they just had to bloody replace EVERYTHING..also a link rod and they charged me £20 to swop the spare tyre the robbing tw*ts - £707.16 excludes a new tyre. Well at least its not wheel spinning anymore but it doesnt feel right on the steering even though it seems to be striaght. Im have to buy a new one methinks.