ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fiesta st quick??

E90 320d M Sport
Ah, so not people who actually hate the car through knowledge about it, but just people who hate the idea of them through ignorance just cause they are french etc.
Ironically they are very reliable (if correctly maintained) and hardly ever rust though as we on here all know!
Most of the problems they get are down to bad modifications, like removing arch liners then moaning the electrics play up after a couple of years of being wet etc! lol

Just pure snobbery. We all know the French make the best hot hatches haha.

I'd probably have a Cup next time, simply because there is less electrical to go wrong. I think they'll appreciate nicely too.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Any of them! It's fun to mod but now I'm older and wiser I have a lot more respect for the final product that a company decides to put out and I enjoy driving their work. I can make my clio lower and stiffer but Renault had it's reasons for not doing that and I'm glad they didn't. Just another point of view. I'm not saying anyone else's is wrong.

E90 320d M Sport
I think the Phase 2 172 could be firmer. The 172 Cup is very good out of the box.

Renault seemed to sort that issue out with the 182 Cup suspension.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any of them! It's fun to mod but now I'm older and wiser I have a lot more respect for the final product that a company decides to put out and I enjoy driving their work. I can make my clio lower and stiffer but Renault had it's reasons for not doing that and I'm glad they didn't. Just another point of view. I'm not saying anyone else's is wrong.

With my mrs RB182, we are very careful to make sure we dont detract from the original product when modifying it to be better for track, it still has to be a nice road car, so for seats its got trendlines not buckets, its got RS2 not bodies so it can still have cruise control, its still got aircon. Its got coilovers but they are still relatively compliant so its still pleasant even on slightly bumpy roads.

Much more expensive like that of course, I could make a far faster track car for less money, but it wouldnt be as nice for long trips like to the ring etc.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I did the same thing with an XR2 and it was a good car but when I put it back to standard to sell it I actually no longer wanted to sell it! Making the best of standard is my thing now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I miss having a clio tbh. I was tempted by the new ST but just couldnt go ahead and do it. I will be back in a clio soon

E90 320d M Sport
I did the same thing with an XR2 and it was a good car but when I put it back to standard to sell it I actually no longer wanted to sell it! Making the best of standard is my thing now.

What are the old Fords like compared to the 172 Cup in terms of handling etc? I'm talking about the XR's and RS Turbo's.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
While using the car on track to learn how to drive better and I'm now leaning towards using track time as the B road time you just struggle to find anymore. Smooth and safe but quick is what the standard car is completely capable of. Hitting the limiter in 4th showing almost 120 on the Speedo 2up in a standard 182 FF at castle combe is not to be sniffed at.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Pants. There is something about them though. It's more about casting your mind back when your driving them. I still keep an eye on my XR2 in the XROC forum.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure there are some roads where the normal 172 was the better car.

Yep. In exactly the same way that my 200 on non-Cup suspension was much more suited to my commute on broken country roads than one with Cup springs/dampers could ever hope to be.

I love the brand myself. I love what they've created in the past. I just don't love what they created recently.

E90 320d M Sport
Yep. In exactly the same way that my 200 on non-Cup suspension was much more suited to my commute on broken country roads than one with Cup springs/dampers could ever hope to be.

I love the brand myself. I love what they've created in the past. I just don't love what they created recently.

With you 100% on that.

I wouldn't buy the new RS Clio. I'd buy the ST simply because hot hatches should be 3 door and manual.

Some say Renault lost their way a bit after the 182 but I don't agree. The brakes and handling of the 197/200 are terrific.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With you 100% on that.

I wouldn't buy the new RS Clio. I'd buy the ST simply because hot hatches should be 3 door and manual.

Some say Renault lost their way a bit after the 182 but I don't agree. The brakes and handling of the 197/200 are terrific.

I used to think that about 3 doors and manual, but the new Clio is such fun to drive on track that it reminds you that all that really matters in a hot hatch is that its fun I reckon!

Still wouldnt buy one though, the non manual box doesnt ruin the drive but it does ruin the price!

Clio III 200 is easily the best handling FWD car I've ever driven. The Cup suspension is often a little too firm for bumpy backroads though.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The 172's and 182's are great because apart from the tax, which is ridiculous IMO they are cheapish to insure, they are fun and more impressive is the MPG. My old 172 used to easily do 42mpg + on the motorway.

Try and get a Type R, VAG 1.8T or Fiesta ST150 to do that.

They do, all day long. Even with 280bhp. ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Is that with the wind behind you? I thought they did 35mpg tops.

That's where your problem is. Yes they do quite easily on a run. Infact, just found this from my Bora days -

1c9374bd.jpg

The TT averaged 41 on a run down to Devon the other week too.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Clio III 200 is easily the best handling FWD car I've ever driven. The Cup suspension is often a little too firm for bumpy backroads though.
I agree Mr Munson, hence why i have quilted leather recaros in mine :approve: my non cup chassis 197 is a great car and went around Snetterton fine to my wifes surprise, as for a replacement i would have a rs focus, the audis and bmws are to expensive imo status symbols but if you do buy one of these be warned kyles cup etc are very quick little road cars and are very drivable. In conclusion i think scotts phase1 or kyles cup would have the edge on a new fiesta st but a standard 182 might not. :race:

Swift Sport
I went from a 172 to a Leon Cupra R 225 and hated it within weeks... The Leon was soulless, it didn't handle and was worse on fuel. I sold it and bought a 182, then a 197. If it wasn't for RUK's poor customer service I'd probably still have a Renault today.

E90 320d M Sport
I went from a 172 to a Leon Cupra R 225 and hated it within weeks... The Leon was soulless, it didn't handle and was worse on fuel. I sold it and bought a 182, then a 197. If it wasn't for RUK's poor customer service I'd probably still have a Renault today.

I thought they were pretty decent for handling? Well compared to the MK4 Golf anyway.

How did you find the 197 after the 182? A mate of mine went back to a 182 after his 197 as the 197 just didn't feel quick enough.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I thought they were pretty decent for handling? Well compared to the MK4 Golf anyway.

How did you find the 197 after the 182? A mate of mine went back to a 182 after his 197 as the 197 just didn't feel quick enough.

A leon is a mk4 golf matey. They just have very slight stiffer springs. A standard LCR is dull tbh, especially compared to a Renaultsport motor.

E90 320d M Sport
A leon is a mk4 golf matey. They just have very slight stiffer springs. A standard LCR is dull tbh, especially compared to a Renaultsport motor.

I thought Seat had a little play with the roll bars and springs to make them handle better? A remap brings them to life doesn't it?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I thought Seat had a little play with the roll bars and springs to make them handle better? A remap brings them to life doesn't it?

Yep easy to get to 280bhp which it then becomes a different car. ARB's are the same as the Golf, it's just the springs and wishbone bushes. The only MK4 chassis car to get bigger ARB's is the R32.

Swift Sport

The Leon wasn't a terrible car by any means, it just didn't live up to my expectations in any aspect.

Despite the 182 and 197 sharing similar DNA they're very different to drive. I preferred the sure-footed handling and excellent braking of the 197, though I admit the 182 was more 'fun' as it felt more lively. The 6-speed box in the 197 is awful too, and they're significantly worse on fuel. Having said that the 197 was still my favourite Renaultsport out of the 4 I've owned.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The Leon wasn't a terrible car by any means, it just didn't live up to my expectations in any aspect.

Despite the 182 and 197 sharing similar DNA they're very different to drive. I preferred the sure-footed handling and excellent braking of the 197, though I admit the 182 was more 'fun' as it felt more lively. The 6-speed box in the 197 is awful too, and they're significantly worse on fuel. Having said that the 197 was still my favourite Renaultsport out of the 4 I've owned.

I'd go with that. My 200 may have been slower on track than my 172 Cup was but I felt like I connected with it/it suited me more than the Cup.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I had a new fiesta try beat me this morning. I love people that have a play with bikes, it makes for mega LOL's!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's all a laugh though! I was on a DC around the time I first got my 172 and someone on a bike pulled along side me waving me forward, my best guess was that he had a 172/182 and wanted to see how much faster his bike was. Either way we were relatively even stevens through 2nd as he was popping a wheelie and then flew off when he got the front tyre back on the ground.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a couple of 'plays' with bikes recently. On country roads with very limited visibility and poor surfaces they're more than fair game unless they ride with a death-wish.

clio 182 trophy
My car is quick, very. But bikes are on a different level lol

I was talking to a lad at some traffic lights some yeArs ago at about 5 in the morning after work and he was on an R1. The lights were onto a nsl road which goes uphill for a little bit and then around 1/4 mile straight. He gave me a thumbs up on green and went. I wanted to get to bed so went all out too. By the time i reached 60 he was almost at the roundabout. Stupid quick. To think there are cars about as quick and even quicker is madness.

Swift Sport
They quite often hold me up at the ring.

Cars are a lot easier to drive fast and especially round corners.

+1

A friend of mine does bike and car trackdays and he's quicker in his car, and it's only an Accord Type-R.

I was also surprised at how many bikes I passed on the 'Ring, especially as I didn't know the circuit.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
A bloke at work has a fleet of bikes.

I've not once caught up with any of them.

But that's 90% down to the cold map on the 197... If it wasn't on the slow map it'd at least catch him in the twisties.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
f**k knows.

All I know is that I haven't had a car catch me yet and I've boogies with WRX STI's, EVO's, RS focus' etc