ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FINALLY!! Found something to get dried on polish/wax off of

Ive been trying for ages to find something to get white wax residue off of my black trim.

Tried everything; AutoGlym Bumper Care (covers it up well, but when it wears of the whiteness is still there), meths, white spirit. Everything. Nothing worked. Almost resigned myself to having white-ish trim.

Found out today that if you use oil, yep oil, like WD40 or 3-in-1 it comes straight off.

Well, I think it comes off. Will have to give it a few days and see if it returns, but apparently it does work. Found it out from a car detailing website. Tried it out my fiancees black plastic bumpers and they now look the nuts too.

face

Clio v6

Yep that ought to do the trick. Similar to what I use, cellulose thinners a tiny drop on a damp cloth.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Well done Face for your discovery of the ultimate black trim cleaning solution!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Lofty, have you noticed that Back to Black also streaks down the car after a while? Maybe that stuff is just oil!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Faceman

Please keep me informed on your experiment with oil, as I wax my car weekly, and no matter how carefull I am I always get a little bit of wax on the trim. Also tried most commercial applications without too much success. If it works re-lable the bottle and sell it for a major profit.

Erm, I discovered something on the weekend. If you get some tree sap on your car, pick of as much as you can and then just spit on the residue left on the paintwork and polish off! Rank but it works....

I tried this because tap water seemed to almost set it and I thought that if saliva can help break down food.....

ak

Nope, after all the rain, the whiteness is back. Bugger.

Back to the drawing board i guess.

sorry for the misleading info...

Face

GR7

Shiny red R32

Putting masking tape over the trim might stop polish getting on it, or cling film stretched over suitable areas might even be better.