ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finished my new sub box.

Felt like having ago making a fibre glass/mdf sub box. here is how it turned out, forgot to take pics at the start so can't really make a guide.

started off making the mdf box. covered it with an old blanket i found. covered the fabric with a harden and resin mixture. 2 layers of fibre glass matting. 1 layer of fibre glass paste, and alot of filler and sanding. Finally primed and painted.

(sorry for the poor pic quailty in 3 of the pics not enough light. All the pics are mobile pics.

f_IMG00233m_123fada.png

f_IMG00234m_a1445c9.png

f_IMG00236m_7c9b2d3.png

f_IMG00237m_7c91541.png

f_IMG00238m_3f7f140.png

f_IMG00245m_d2bee53.png

Happy with the overall result, but the finish with the paint isn't so good, i'm thinking about covering it with some boot fabric, thoughts, opinions?

Will.

421 Cammed 172
Is the paintwork dull mate?

I wouldnt go through all that trouble of making a fibreglass enclosure to cover it with fabric, a little TLC on the paintwork can get it shining!

i think covering in in leather/vinyl will be difficult because i don't think it will stretch around the curves, something to think about thou.

it's painted matt black atm to hide the imperfections lol, when i get round to it i may consider preping it better more smoothing and sanding etc and go with a gloss or metalic finish, pearl black , which is the same colour as the out side of the car might look good. (boot carpet was going to be the easy way :D)

ibiza cupra
looks good mate. give it a bit of tlc on the paint like mensioned and it will make the world of a difference to it. bet it weighs a ton lol

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
what did you do with your old box? weres your amp located now? good effort!

421 Cammed 172
Give it another sand, then a whip over with filler primer and it should hide the imperfections.

A tip is to sand it now and then anywhere paint remains is a low point in the filler, slap a bit of filler in those points, another sand, then 1200 / 1500 and possibly 2000 grit, then paint process. Should give u a brilliant finish!

The pearl black will be a nice one if its like the one i saw the other day with a hidden gem of greens, reds, blues and a tiny hint of gold!

I think i would look nice pearl black now actually, i just need some nice dry weather and some time to get it done.

I like the flocking idea, any idea how much it would cost to get flocked?

And yep it's damn heavy i had to put the subs in the box after putting it the box in the car, couldn't safely lift/postion it all togther :D. Really tight fit too.

Yasser, my old sub box is sitting in my room. The amp is attached to the back of teh new box.