ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First car... which Clio to go for?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Looking to buy my first car in 3 weeks time and for a long time I've decided a mk2 Clio is the car to get, but not sure which model to choose.

The local Renault dealers near me keep getting 1.2 Dynamiques in stock which is what I'm leaning towards, but out of curiosity I done some quick quotes (ie. price comparison sites) on some more powerful Clios...

Clio 2.0 (172 Ph2) - £2555.00
Clio 1.6 (Dynamique Ph2) - £2691.03
Clio 1.4 (Dynamique Ph2) - £2565.83
Clio 1.2 (Dynamique Ph2) - £2322.88

Yeah they are all over the shot..

Seeing the price difference between the 2.0 and 1.2 it got me thinking. The overal cost of car and insurance works out about the same for a 1.2 from dealer and 2nd hand 172 but there are so many other things to think about right?

I am currently learning to drive in a ph-quick 172 and have my test in the start of July... Oh, and I'm 18.

mk4 golf gttdi180
insurance prices . id go for a 1.4 max see how you cope with fuel an running costs etc then if you dont like sell up for a 172

E36 M3. 182
First car... 1995 1.2 8v. worked alright for me, was mega cheap on the insurance too (500 tpf+t in my own name)

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Oops yeah insurance prices.

I haven't priced up anything other than car and insurance.. just one of those "lets do that" things without thinking really..

Already I'm convinced that a 1.2 IS the best option.

you'llbe able to get insured on a 1.2 for around £1500 via direct line

Direct Line want £2,109.45

Last edited:
  1.8 8v RSi
tax will be the killer if you get a 172
however with insurance quote like that will be worth it
bear in mind if you crash the 172 in any sort of accident your insurance will double almost certainly if you have a 172

ClioSport 172
Tax on a 172 will be £420 next year....

Insurance will be mental & they do cost a fair bit to run, fuel etc

If I were you i'd get the 1.2, look after it & if in a few years times you still want a clio, look in to getting a 172

those quote are on a price comparison website!! Crock of poo.

Get calling direct, much more accurate. Guarantee youll get cheaper than those.

As above, cant see how the 172 is only £200 more than a 1.2 when the 172 is group 16.
Shows how inacurate they are!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
u can get insured on a 1.2 for under a grand!
mines a 1.4 im 17 and mines £830

anything more that a 1.4 engine at your age with no ncb you are having a joke really!

Oil Burner
what you cant yet understand untill u have passed your test is the cost of running a car, not just fuel, not just mechanics, yes everyone has a 'mate' who does the work on their car, but they dont do it for free. Even a car like mine, which is 2nd lowest tax band, group 4 insurance and does 58mpg when i drive is fast makes me bleed at times.

The clutch went on it £300 gone

Cam belt in 10k £200 gone

Tires prob want doing in about 10k £150

New wipers £25

Fill the car £60

Random bits that fall off £priceless

the list goes on.

I would buy into a 1.2/4 or a 1.5 dci 80

I wouldnt dare buy a 172 atm with fuel/tax/insurance prices.

320d
Defo the 1.2 16v..they are quite nippy in my opinion..try it you might like it..lol.

imo they're gutless, on a motorway they're terrible they dont accelerate strongly enough after 50 and they are geared very low, 3500rpm at 70 is irritating, i always look for 6th which isnt there.

Personally if your not going for the 1*2 i'd go for a dci 80, they have a nice amount of torque and get 55mpg without trying. Also the option of a remap for £300 to get 30 extra ponies. Sounds like a good deal to me, i'd bite someones hand off for a decent one.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Will be phoning for my real insurance quotes, don't worry. :)

u can get insured on a 1.2 for under a grand!
mines a 1.4 im 17 and mines £830

anything more that a 1.4 engine at your age with no ncb you are having a joke really!

Mine if I ask who you're insured with?

Defo the 1.2 16v..they are quite nippy in my opinion..try it you might like it..lol.

imo they're gutless, on a motorway they're terrible they dont accelerate strongly enough after 50 and they are geared very low, 3500rpm at 70 is irritating, i always look for 6th which isnt there.

Personally if your not going for the 1*2 i'd go for a dci 80, they have a nice amount of torque and get 55mpg without trying. Also the option of a remap for £300 to get 30 extra ponies. Sounds like a good deal to me, i'd bite someones hand off for a decent one.

Thanks, I'll look into it. :)

172 ph2
What comparison site are those quotes from ? they look well off to me... Even with your age the 1.2 quote looks far too expensive to me, but the quote for the 172 looks way too cheap, especially compared to the 1.2 !

As said above you really need to check by ringing. I'm 26 with 5 years NCB and one company refused point blank to insure me on it despite it showing up on a comparison listing.

Never above 25mpg
It's £1100 for my TPFT with 1 years NCB on my 1.4 16v...
Sounds expensive but on my policy I get to drive anybodys car with their permission under TPFT... not too bad tbh ;)

R.I.P 182
I would go for the 1.4 if I was you, even 1.2s aren't majorly slow at accelerating so either is good for a first car you can build up and you will appreciate power more as you upgrade. I started with a hugely modified 1.6 zetec s fiesta which was fast for me, then got a street ka, then a mini copper now my 182. Changed so quick as I missed the power of my zetec and moved to quick.. I love my 182 but I do wish I started on a smsller engine to appreciate this more as all I want to do is make it faster!! Shop around for insurance though, seems very expensive for a 1.2, my zs was 1200 for me at 18.. Keep searching!!

R.I.P 182
oh and my insurance is with elephant with me as policy holder. My tax is bloody ridiculous on the 182 too, I wouldn't even bother!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
"Mine if I ask who you're insured with?"

im insured with zurich 830 pounds fully comp
insurance camparison sites are rubbish as soon as they see your age it goes to £2,000+
ring round a few and haggle with them on the phone its hard but most of them say £1500 and it takes ages but youve got to get a good deal and its worth it in the end.
your postcode also affects it but im in surrey too so it should be ok really.

im going to get a better car after this year maybe a 1.6 or possibly a sport if i can afford it then.

running costs are cheap for me £45 to fill up with petrol
budget tyres are £35
£120 12months tax

couple of tasteful mods like lowering sound system and 172 wheels and my car is great a think for a year until i can get insured on something better!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
"Mine if I ask who you're insured with?"

im insured with zurich 830 pounds fully comp
insurance camparison sites are rubbish as soon as they see your age it goes to £2,000+
ring round a few and haggle with them on the phone its hard but most of them say £1500 and it takes ages but youve got to get a good deal and its worth it in the end.
your postcode also affects it but im in surrey too so it should be ok really.

im going to get a better car after this year maybe a 1.6 or possibly a sport if i can afford it then.

running costs are cheap for me £45 to fill up with petrol
budget tyres are £35
£120 12months tax

couple of tasteful mods like lowering sound system and 172 wheels and my car is great a think for a year until i can get insured on something better!

Thanks. Your "tasteful mods" are exactly what I want to do.

I'm now looking at 1.4's as almost everyone has said it.

Really, thanks for all the advise.

Yeah..but my cars special then..I dont find any off them problems with her tbh.
She picks up lovely..got quite a good pull. plus 70mph is actually the speed limit.:rasp:

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Zurich Total annual premium £ 3031.64 on a 1.2... :O

Just noticed I've had an Adrian Flux quote in.. £1326

Clio 1.6 16v Rxe
im insured on a 1.6 16v for 2k a year (anual or 1.8k month), im 17 and been drivin 5months with a full license, how long u been drivin?