ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First major failure...CAT...gutted!

Tav

Clio 197
One CAT:

brokencat1.jpg

One huge gaping hole:

brokencat2.jpg

Delighted...

I haven't managed to find anywhere that sells the right type of flange on the internet, was hoping there was the off chance that I'd be able to cut the old one off and have a new one welded on. Flat faced flanges are obviously a lot more common but might be a pain to retrofit.

New cat from Renault is £916.50 so that's out the window without even a seconds hesitation. Sports cat from K-Tec Racing is £281 which would be a bit of a stretch. De-cat pipes are between £50-100 but I've got an MOT to think about in April and don't much fancy the second lambda triggering the emissions light on the dashboard. I guess I could have an exhaust place get creative with some flat flanges and their welding gear?

Something had to break! I guess the engine mounts may be to blame as they do feel like they are letting the engine rock a little.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Sports cat wouldbe my choice, mate.

I've de-catted mine, since i know a friendly MOT station.

Go to Kwik-Fit, ask to root through old exhaust pile. Find something with the same flange. Take home, chop, chop, weld, back on car. Total cost 10P of mig wire.

Cheers
M

Go to Kwik-Fit, ask to root through old exhaust pile. Find something with the same flange. Take home, chop, chop, weld, back on car. Total cost 10P of mig wire.

Cheers
M

My cat had the same problem, and the local garage did this to repair it. Been ok so far 7k later.

clio trophy No56
Same happened to mine, got it welded and its fine now.
This happened due to the center section hanger rubber being very worn, this was causing the exhaust to cat clamp to dig in to the cat.
On replacing the hanger i found the rubber was approx 3/4 inch longer than the new one, at the cat this translated to the exaust hanging about 2inch lower than the cat. Also replaced the clamp.

Tav

Clio 197

Cheers
M

I'll just nip out and magic up a MIG welder from an old wooden box and some string? (jokes, I've got someone on the case : ) )

Cheers for the offer nefarious someone local is giving it a shot.

The center hanger may well be to blame, KTR sell them but it says not suitable for the 172/182? Renault dealer time?
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/member.php?u=44773

Broken Diesel Megane :(
I'll just nip out and magic up a MIG welder from an old wooden box and some string? (jokes, I've got someone on the case : ) )

Cheers for the offer nefarious someone local is giving it a shot.

The center hanger may well be to blame, KTR sell them but it says not suitable for the 172/182? Renault dealer time?

AVOID!!!

Iceburg 172
ive got a cat at home for a 172,not sure if they fit on the 182's if they do will do it £50 posted? pm me

browno

ClioSport Club Member
I had to replace the cat on our 182 at MOT time - and found one on the web (I think it was cats2go.co.uk, but they don't seem to have the clio listed now?) for £135 delivered next day... next nearest I could find was about £300 with trade discount...

Hope that's helpful...

Edit - found it, put Renault but no letters in the search and it comes up - part no RE6051 at £132.80 with fitting kit.

Tav

Clio 197
Cat was finished today, my dad is off to pick it up tomorrow at 12:00 when I'm in uni. Hopefully get it back on soon then I can get the car sorted with a 4 year/24,000 mile service. Looking forward to getting it all sorted, might even get a chance to clean the wee beastie!

DCi
exactly the same thing happened to me, i went down the sport cat route but i suppose that isn't a doer, good to see you got if fixed. Crappy exhausts....

Tav

Clio 197
Sport cat and a milltek in future, but need to be sly with the pennies just now, just booked a holiday.

RB 182
Mine fell off on the motorway out of Barcelona, with a 1000 mile journey ahead of me! Dropped onto the subframe as its a 172, so just carried on driving :)

Tav

Clio 197
Cat came back all welded up nice!

brokencat5.jpg

Bought a new centre exhaust hanger and the old one was indeed stretched.

brokencat4.jpg

Fitted the new hanger and tried to get the cat back on. It was at this point that I realised the cat is actually bent! It would not mate up to the centre section of the exhaust as there was a 5mm+ gap between the two sections. Should have really spotted it earlier but as well as cracking the metal it has also deformed the flange quite considerably!

brokencat3.jpg

Going to refit the old exhaust hanger, bolt the cat back in and then have the car MOT'd. I'm then going to buy a decat, job done!