ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting a Williams Exhaust.

OK Peeps I must be doing something wrong as I have never seen anyone else post with the problem:

I have a standard Williams exhaust to go onto my Williams - the front section to the cat is easy but the rear section that goes over the rear suspension will not go. It keeps getting stuck on the suspension - I can nearly get it but the bend on the exhaust pushes into the floor of the car on one side and the axle on the other!!

Im now stuck - I have tried everything I can think of!

Help!!!

The car is jacked and we have been pushing like mad.

I have twisted it and turned it in every direction but it still sticks - without damaging the car it seems impossible. 3 of us have now tried and failed - im begging to wonder is the exhaust bent out of shape?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

push the back box to the right. hook it over the axle,push it in and twist it as you bring it back to the straight position. they can be tricky if you never done one before.

Hmmm im worried now - one of us is a mechanic and we have been battering at this for ages so far tonight. Sounds like something isnt right.

Cheers for the replies guys - I will have another go.

We have taken off the spare wheel holder and rear left wheel so far in a vain attempt but it just jams everytime.

Given up - no matter what way we twisted and tried to force it - nothing.

Had it jacked up about 600mm - maybe having it over a pit may work.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

is it a gen exhaust? some of the gen exhausts could be split so you didnt have to try and hook it around the axle. you just split it,fitted it and joined it back togethor.

Nothing there to split from what I can remember.

There isnt different types of these for different ages of Williams are there? I would have thought they were all the same but somethings not right.

it should split just before the axle.

so u have a middle and rear section.

Its really not too hard to get on, it helps with the car in the air cause you can make the rear section face straight down and rotate it as you push it through.

There is a join after the Cat then one before the Axle. Its just the very rear part thats the problem - its not like we have never done anything like this before. One lad that tried worked on Rally cars for 10 years but none of us can get it to go through the gap. It just gets so far then jams - from no matter what angle.

We have taken off the spare wheel and cage, back left wheel and bent the heat shields out of the way. Also we have bent the pegs on the exhaust itself but to no avail.

We are all confused - I have another mechanic mate looking at it tommorrow but it takes just a few mins at it to see it just isnt going to happen:mad:

So I have narrowed it down to:

1: We are all thick (us that have tried to fit it)

2: The exhaust is bent out of shape

3: There are different exhausts for Williams 1/2/3

Supposed to be travelling 500 miles tommorrow - not looking likely now

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 20 May 2004

it should split just before the axle.

so u have a middle and rear section.

Its really not too hard to get on, it helps with the car in the air cause you can make the rear section face straight down and rotate it as you push it through.

i meant on some of the gen exhausts where the backbox and the pipe after the centre section are all one on some there is an extra split point so you can split the rear section. this means you dont have to twist it around the axle. you just fit the rear silencer and then put the other half of it (the pipe) in from the other side.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 20 May 2004

There is a join after the Cat then one before the Axle. Its just the very rear part thats the problem - its not like we have never done anything like this before. One lad that tried worked on Rally cars for 10 years but none of us can get it to go through the gap. It just gets so far then jams - from no matter what angle.

We have taken off the spare wheel and cage, back left wheel and bent the heat shields out of the way. Also we have bent the pegs on the exhaust itself but to no avail.

We are all confused - I have another mechanic mate looking at it tommorrow but it takes just a few mins at it to see it just isnt going to happen:mad:

So I have narrowed it down to:

1: We are all thick (us that have tried to fit it)

2: The exhaust is bent out of shape

3: There are different exhausts for Williams 1/2/3

Supposed to be travelling 500 miles tommorrow - not looking likely now
is it a renault gen exhaust?

You mean a Genuine Renault exhaust?

It came off a Williams (from Rajk) so until I hear from him im not sure but I think he told me it was Genuine.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

ok then it might have just been certain ones that split for easy fitting. you can hook them in but because of the fatter pipe on the williams its a bit harder. it can be done though. ive had a few wrestling matches with these things myself in my time.

Yeah its got the flat bit but I cannot get the exhaust the the flat part on the axle - I can get it just to the flat part but no further.

It came off a Williams 2 so it must be the correct exhaust:confused:

Wonder if the fact Rajks Williams was lowered would have effected the exhaust?

All opinions welcome - im desperate.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Why do you want to take it off ?

If its knackered - carnt you just cut slits into the pipe thats stuck to remove it ?

Or even better cut it into 2 sections.

Willy2

mine was lowered, but i undid the main join and then just levered the rubbers off! I snapped two cat bolts too! I no longer have a 12mm ratchet, but its on now !