ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting aftermarket steering wheel - advice

RB 182 FF
Hi all. Looking at buying an aftermarket steering wheel for my 182 FF. It won't have a central button for the horn but I'm looking to get a volantech panel (believe the other option is the stalk from a ph1?) . As my car has cruise control, would I need the 4 or 6 button panel or is it down to preference? And does anyone have a fitting guide/instructions? Or am I better off taking to a garage?

TIA

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
I have a Volantech panel (as you can see by my avatar) and yes you will need the 6 button panel if you want a horn and retain cruise and speed limiter.

It's quite simple to do, I am sure there is a guide for removing the wheel on here somewhere.

RB 182 FF
That thread's really useful. Thanks @Andy P.

Re parts needed, is the below everything?
- aftermarket wheel
- boss (is there a difference in ph1/2 bosses?)
- 3.3ohm resistor for airbag light

Am I missing anything excluding tools required?

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
It's a T50 for the steering wheel bolt I believe.

Boss, most people buy the Momo boss as I think there is a difference between ph1/2 bosses. Search on here and I think there is a thread about which is the best boss to buy.

A better solution to the resistors is if you can find someone nearby with Renault Clip to turn the airbags off.

You could actually buy everything you need apart from the resistors from Voluntech, see link below.

RB 182 FF
It's a T50 for the steering wheel bolt I believe.

Boss, most people buy the Momo boss as I think there is a difference between ph1/2 bosses. Search on here and I think there is a thread about which is the best boss to buy.

A better solution to the resistors is if you can find someone nearby with Renault Clip to turn the airbags off.

You could actually buy everything you need apart from the resistors from Voluntech, see link below.

Thanks. Already sourced a sabelt rs wheel. Will just go to volantech for the panel I think.

Out of interest, what do each of the 6 buttons do? Top 2 horn? Mid/bottom right cruise on/off, and mid/bottom left speed up/down?

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
👍

Regarding the buttons that’s correct.

Basically top two are horn and the other 4 replicate the standard buttons for cruise/limiter and position they are on the standard wheel.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
This is my wheel and panel, you should be able to see the markings for each button.

9AEA8433-A5B3-4DA3-BF35-8C5E17935AEF.jpeg