ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Lowering Springs

S2000
Going to be fitting lowering springs tomorrow (to Mk1 Ph2 1.4RT) and just had a few questions.

Is the following everything that needs done:

Removal:

Remove strut top nut and strut to hub nut then remove strut completely. Remove rubber mounting from top of strut. Compress the springs and remove retaining clip from strut. Remove top spring plate and then remove spring.

Fitting:

Compress Spring. Place on bottom plate and then put top plate on top of spring. Fit retaining clip and gradually de-compress spring. Refit everything else and put back on the car.

Does that all sound about right?

It says in the haynes manual that you need to replace the retaining clip when doing this job - is this correct or can the old one be re-used? If it needs replaced does anyone have the renault part number?

Thanks.

S2000
anyone? The main thing I need to know is whether or not it's necessary to fit a new retaining clip, or can the old one be re-used?

S2000
I got these replaced and fitted OK apart from one thing.

On the passenger side I tightened the strut top nut till you could feel it was trying to move the top mounting plate, but on the drivers side when tightening the nut both the piston and the nut are moving. It was tightened fine initially after the strut was put on till it did like the passenger side but now with the car on the ground it just turns and turns. Do you reckon that should be OK?

Thanks.

clio 1.2
you are probly the right person to talk to. i no your after advice but will you be able to help me out my friend?
im going to lower my car on saturday and need help!

just bought some g-max 40mm lowering springs and the spings im ok to fit my self its just the torsion bar im fukked out lol.
ive got a mark 1 phase 3 with the face lift.
and wen i took the wheels i see a a black cap so i took that off and there was the torsion bar i think but i dont know if i could find the torsion bar but i think i found it lol if you have any pics you have of yours when you were doing it would be great or msn messenger if we could talk about it would be wonderfull many thanks richard

S2000
donsrno1 said:
I got these replaced and fitted OK apart from one thing.

On the passenger side I tightened the strut top nut till you could feel it was trying to move the top mounting plate, but on the drivers side when tightening the nut both the piston and the nut are moving. It was tightened fine initially after the strut was put on till it did like the passenger side but now with the car on the ground it just turns and turns. Do you reckon that should be OK?

Thanks.

Anyone know if that should be OK?

S2000
Thanks. I got it sorted anyway by just taking the strut top nut off with an impact gun again and then retightening it - it now feels like the other side so it's all OK.

rn club med mk1 1.2
did u just reuse the old retaining clip or did you get a new one and chance do you no of a guid on the internet how to do the front
regards luke

S2000
Mine didn't have a retaining clip mate - it just had a nut that you screwed on. I think the Mk1 clios could come with either but I was told by Chris H on retro-renault (who knows his stuff) that I would be fin to re-use the retaining clip if that was the setup on mine.

It's quite straightforward and for mine went as follows:

• Lossen off strut top nut (I used a 12v impact gun and it worked a treat - only £9.99)
  • Put car on axle stands and remove wheels
  • remove both strut to hub nuts and then remove strut top nut completely, but hold strut with your hand as you remove it then take the strut out completely being carefull not to hit the driveshaft gaiter.
  • Compress spring using spring compressors until you can feel it is moving about a bit between the plates.
  • Remove nut (or retaining clip) from top of strut and then remove rubber thing and bearing along with top mounting plate
  • Remove spring and de-compress it.
  • Compress new spring
  • Place spring on lower mounting plate
  • put top mounting plate, bearing, rubber thing and nut (or retaining clip) on top of strut fully.
  • Decompress spring, being carefull that it is locating properly in the mounting plates.
  • Put strut back in and loosely tighten strut top nut so that strut is held from the top - allowing you to use both hand to put strut to hub nuts back in.
  • Once strut to hub nuts back in tighten sturut top nut until you feel a truning resistance.
  • Do the same for other side
  • Remove axle stands, put wheels back on and lower to the ground.
  • Again tighten strut top nuts till you can feel turning resistance (if it isn't like that already)
  • Go for a drive!!!
Hopefully that should be fairly clear, at least when you are doing it and can see everything in front of you.