ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting shocks, should I be able to put the shock in and bolt up hub, seems too long?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I've looked at a few of of the guides on here but once the spring and shock have been assembled and donut is on etc. should I be able to just put the shock up into the turret, top mount on (loose) to hold it in place and then bolt up? I can't even get the bottom hole of the strut to line up with the top hub hole am I missing something? I can't compress the strut/get the hub low enough for them both to line up. Do I need to compress the shock with a jack to line it up?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Re: Fitting shocks, should I be able to put the shock in and bolt up hub, seems too l

Are you only jacking up one side of the car? Need to have both wheel off the ground when doing it, as the ARB pushes the wheel up thats off the ground, making it seam the shock is to long.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Re: Fitting shocks, should I be able to put the shock in and bolt up hub, seems too l

No car is on axle stands both sides.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Just life the hub up, should move about loads? Have to be careful the driveshaft doesn't come out to.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

There doesn't seem enough travel on the hub to get them to mate up. Pushing it as far as possible down it still seems about an inch too high.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Really don't know what to say, i've done it 4 times on my 1*2s over the years and was easy, and i'd never changed suspension on any car before.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Here's my problem

untitled.jpg

you need 2 people mate. one person pushes down on the wishbone(i think) and the other pulls it. Have the nut ready to go in then hammer it in. Thats the way I did it. Needs a fair bit of force to go back in.

DCi 100

And you have all the top mount in the right way and up through the hole?

Either way, jack handle or breaker bar in the wishbone will get it down!

Clio 197

get some weight on the hub eg your bodyweight ! it takes a bit of force to get it in position , get a mate to help if you can , they will be able to slot in in when low enough

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Will try a bar on the hub later, or get a mate round at the weekend if I still can't do it.

I had this problem getting mine back together. You need a bit of leverage under the shock. We just used a bar lifted it up a little, hammered a bolt in, hey presto.

Lionel Richie

lever the lower arm down, simples

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Got it sorted but both inner driveshafts popped out with how low I had to take the hubs. Passenger side went back in no problem but drivers side was completely separated. How much of an issue is this? A quick look in the haynes suggests I need pin for the drivers side at the very least but it's not looking too clever at the moment just pushed back in place.

Lionel Richie

they dont have pinned shafts

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Course they don't, haynes book of lies FTL. Assumed it might be the same for the 172 :dapprove: Anything I need to do with them then?

rstuned 182ff bg

if your on your own, undo the 2 bolts on the ball joint, on ur wish bone, undo the track rod end, then bolt shock to hub, then put ball joint bolts back, and track rod end,
i put some bearings in the hub , at the weekend for a mate, and put it all back together , with no probs, and i aint no mastermind round a car, but basics i'll have ago,

rstuned 182ff bg

just make sure your drive shafts are pushed in thats all,

Black Gold Trophy

Just use a prybar to pull the wishbone down, and then slide the bolt in with your other hand...simple!