ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fletch's 150k 172 Project..

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Small Update:

In general the Clio has been running well.
The only issue Iā€™ve been having is a weak battery on start up, the Varley 25 in the
Clio was fitted back in 2014 so had done well!
66472F42-7C76-42B1-9BAB-08E5EDCAE289.jpeg

Old vs new
1177B41E-D6F3-4B98-B520-C2242E06272E.jpeg

Seat out to get to the battery.
6DFA402D-3384-41C5-8802-7D3CB8B75AB7.jpeg

I have now moved to East Hampshire, so have some excellent roads on my doorstep including the A339. So hopefully will get the Clio out more this summer.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Update:

Finally got around to sorting out the rear exhaust hanger mount. Itā€™s been bodged for a while now (not even sure who did the ā€˜fixā€™)
2A04A5D1-BEC0-4687-BFE5-16BB74B44007.jpeg

I already had a BNIB Renault mount, but decided to buy a Powerflex exhaust mount insert to replace the Renault insert as theyā€™re prone to sagging as above pic shows.

BC97126C-9ACF-4406-B53A-9295A2F6AAF7.jpeg

But then couldnā€™t be arsed to cut out the OEM rubber mount and replace with the Powerflex, so purchased a BTT motorsport mount with an uprated insert already fitted.

E29BFBF9-4EB7-436D-9AA5-8E6ED645740C.jpeg
Original 2002 mount vs new BTT motorsport mount.
And all fitted.

112676A2-A8EB-4D47-A41E-EE6AD68AEE97.jpeg

Still happy with the Clio in general, but will probably look to change the BC coilovers for some ASTā€™s next year, and maybe go back to some 4 pots either Brembo or AP racing.

Some recent pics.
FB8536FA-9D04-4656-AED1-66CEA6A622D2.jpeg

9D2A7891-7CC1-47C8-A5F6-E168502842CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Tip* I know you've sorted it now, but the quickest way of getting the old rubbers out of the mounts is to pour some acetone (nail varnish) over the old rubber.

It melts the glue and it just peels off. No more hacking your fingers or mounts with a blade.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure if it's of intrest to you Fletcher, but I've purchased a kit to convert the BC's separate shock and spring on the rear to a full coilover. Certainly a cheaper option to do before committing to the more expensive ASTs.

Unless you want rid of the BCs in general .

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure if it's of intrest to you Fletcher, but I've purchased a kit to convert the BC's separate shock and spring on the rear to a full coilover. Certainly a cheaper option to do before committing to the more expensive ASTs.

Unless you want rid of the BCs in general .
They sound interesting Mark. Have you fitted them yet? If so how do you find them mate?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I've had them fitted for a month now? Yeah I like them. Feels more solid, if that makes sense? Can definitely feel it stiffer.

I'm still currently driving it daily, so opted for a softer spring of 225lbs but there faulkner springs so can spec to any poundage really.
20221001_065820-01.jpeg
20221001_073513-01.jpeg
20221002_104219-01.jpeg

Rocky_2483

ClioSport Club Member
@Fletcher Can't believe you still have this car, I've just spent a very productive day at work reading this whole thread from my last post which was back in 2011. I remember seeing it at some South Central meets back when I had my 182 and the transformation has been epic. Well done!

Joe.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
@Fletcher Can't believe you still have this car, I've just spent a very productive day at work reading this whole thread from my last post which was back in 2011. I remember seeing it at some South Central meets back when I had my 182 and the transformation has been epic. Well done!

Joe.
Hi Joe, thanks mate. Yes Iā€™ve had the 172 a while now and itā€™s gone through quite a few changes over the years.

I remember your silver 182 at the South Central meets back in the day.

Rocky_2483

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Joe, thanks mate. Yes Iā€™ve had the 172 a while now and itā€™s gone through quite a few changes over the years.

I remember your silver 182 at the South Central meets back in the day.
Yeah it stayed standard apart from a Yozza. Owned it from 29,000 miles in 2019 to around 82,000 miles in 2017. It never let me down apart from a dead battery one morning, a split CV boot on one MOT and then a broken spring on another MOT. Other than that it was well looked after during my ownership and a very reliable car. Sold it and looks like it only lasted another year then disappeared never to be MOT'd again according to the register. I bought a Toyota Hybrid ready for kids.

Now I'm back, stupidly with a J plate Mk1 and probably only temporarily until it fails its MOT in August.

I hope you keep yours, I saw a couple of wobble posts saying your going to sell/break it. You can't do that after all this time!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it stayed standard apart from a Yozza. Owned it from 29,000 miles in 2019 to around 82,000 miles in 2017. It never let me down apart from a dead battery one morning, a split CV boot on one MOT and then a broken spring on another MOT. Other than that it was well looked after during my ownership and a very reliable car. Sold it and looks like it only lasted another year then disappeared never to be MOT'd again according to the register. I bought a Toyota Hybrid ready for kids.

Now I'm back, stupidly with a J plate Mk1 and probably only temporarily until it fails its MOT in August.

I hope you keep yours, I saw a couple of wobble posts saying youā€™re going to sell/break it. You can't do that after all this time!
Mk1 valver?

I have wobbled a few times in the past but I cannot ever see me parting ways with the 172 mate.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Update:

Windscreen washers stopped working, turned out to be a broken washer pump. Once I removed the washer bottle I also noticed it had a split around where the pump connects.

So off the the breakers for a new washer bottle.

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

As I am no longer running xenons and need the two washer pumps, I have gone for a washer bottle out of a mk2 clio (the same as a 172 cup has too) .This will also makes future washer pump changes much easier as you can replace the pump without removing wipers/ linkage etc.

I found another unwanted tar patch

IMG_1909.jpeg

So whipped that out. More weight saving!

IMG_1917.jpeg

Other than that nothing to mention, the car is still running well.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Update: December 2023 marked 19 years of ownership.

Over to Rentech for the mot, on the way over to Portsmouth the STOP and Battery light started flickering so new alternator time.

IMG_2240.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

Then fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, after having a play with an M140i on the A31, the engine starting knocking, so I limped home.

Fearing the worst, the Clio was recovered to Gary Spooner (The Clio Man) as it was also due a cambelt this summer and Gary has the timing tools for 197 cams that I have fitted.

IMG_2465.jpeg

Ended up having the following done..

Engine out!
King race bearing shells
ARP rod bolts
Cambelt kit
All new fluids etc.

Only done around 50 miles so far but the Clio feels good!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Probably quite rare these days. Even more so that it's still being used. Some keep but put in garage for years.

Great stuff Fletcher.
Yes Mark, I still enjoy driving it after all these years. I really need to sort a trailer and do some more track days.

I just said the same in my head as I was reading it. I gave a little sigh of relief when I read the last sentence. šŸ˜‚šŸ™

The Clio will live on for a bit longer Dan šŸ˜‚
Hero!

This canā€™t be allowed to go quietly off to the scrappy, itā€™s a founding member of the forum fleet!
Thanks Oli, I may even treat the old Clio to a front end respray this spring!