ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flickering lights?

Hi guys,

My mk2 ph2 172 has started this weird thing. The rear lights, brake lights when on and dash lights (clock, climate control bit and dials) flicker. There is no misfire or funny running. This only happens at sub 2k rpm and very noticible at idol.

But at 60 or 70mph the flickering is gone. So what could it be? Dodgy earth? Battery on its way out?

Thanks for any help :star:

No how would I check that. I do have a multi meter.

Also just checked the dials don't flicker. But everything else still does.

Clio 182 Cup
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've got an similar problem. My 182 has the flickering talked about above. What should the voltage be on the meter? And how do I know if it's the alternator and not the battery?

Did you ever get it solved Dblock?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I had flickering lights especially when braking. Not sure of its the same thing but a quick clean up of the rear light connections sorted it.

Moogun B95
does any of this occur when the engine isnt running? Have the plugs been changed before this started happening?? Sounds like wrong spark plugs to me if it only happens with the engine is running.

Clio 182 Cup
No, only when the engine is running. Haven't changed the plugs yet, I haven't had the car that long. I'll pull the plugs out and check they're the correct ones - they should be NGK Platinum PF6E-10 right?

Also, put the multimeter on the battery last night and engine off was 12-13 volts, with engine on a pretty constant 14.6 volts.

Clio 182 Cup
Just read on another post that said the flickering lights could mean aux belt needs changing. Having just started it up, it does have a high pitch squeal for a little bit until it gets warm. I believe that's the aux belt?

Just read on another post that said the flickering lights could mean aux belt needs changing. Having just started it up, it does have a high pitch squeal for a little bit until it gets warm. I believe that's the aux belt?

belt may need tightening up then if it's making a high pitch squeal.

Clio Sport 172
Had this one check the plug in connections to the uch module arnt loose mine did that and it turned out one of the plugs was starting to come adrift from the uch module ;)