ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flies and flying insects

GW RS200
Found a cloud of tiny mosquitos last night. Seems almost impossible to get a good shot to me. Shutter speed needs to be 1000/1sec at least, but with that speed, the aperture has to be wide open, which makes focus a lucky dip! Can't see how I can use a flash, because it limits my shutter to 1/200sec. Can anyone can do better, and describe how exactly? I lay down the gauntlet!

a.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

GW RS200
you need a decent macro lens mate

heres two of mine

I should add my mosquitos were appx 1mm in length btw - more like tiny fruit flies.

Nice pics - I have a Canon 100mm macro. But they have to be in flight, sitting still is waaaay to easy ;-)! (Having said that, what level of magnification is that on the second 2:1 using tubes?)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
the second pic was actually shot on a nikon 5400 with a screw on macro adaptor, not sure of the magnification but as you can see you can get pretty close

just a shame the dof was so shallow on the pic pete would have been 100x better if the abdomen was in focus too. but even still its very good

B

Brown.

Just Wait till they land on your knee....and when you aint got a macro, reverse ya lens :D

_MG_8897.jpg

_MG_8915.jpg

_MG_8929.jpg

just a shame the dof was so shallow on the pic pete would have been 100x better if the abdomen was in focus too. but even still its very good

thanks, Ideally I'll catch one head on, its just so hard with tubes, that one was at f/18 and about an inch from the lens..

Helps when the buggers sit still :clown:

IMG_3348-PS.jpg

IMG_1966-PS-1.jpg

B

Brown.

Mine was a normal lense reversed....but sigma 105 or sigma 150mm macro are the absoloute dogs!!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm not really into photography to be honest, but crikey there are some amazing photographs in here!! :cool: