ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

focus rs or trophy?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Lets be honest, i was looking to change my Sachs for something more track focused, but by simply adding a Whiteline i've made it the car i wanted it to be.

I still think you left some of your wing mirrors on the track at Brands though ;)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I think the op wants to keep either car standard so it all goes down to personal circumstances.

Do you like to drive fast or is it just a posing machine? I'd rather have a well looked after Low mileage trophy than a high mileage, neglected frs.

The majority of trophy owners are enthusiasts so you're guaranteed to get something well cared for

260% JCW
Really?

_Ford_Racing_Focus_RS8_Vs_2004_Lamborghini_Gallardo_10z_2004_Ford_Racing_Focus_RS8+Interior_View.jpg

:dead:

I like it, suits the car and the colour IMO. No poverty spec cloth rear seats and Bilabong bits.

260% JCW
There are no guarantees when buying a used car, and both cars are equaly as fast.

Best bet is to drive both, they're both very different beasts.

Clio 182
For me I`d choose a Focus RS without a doubt, maybe asking on Clio sport wont give you the most un bias opinion

Saying that i`d go for a Z4 3.0i at that sort of cash

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 42.8 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 31.04 mpg
0 - 62 mph 5.9 seconds
Top speed 155 mph
Cylinders 6

Iceberg 172
Pah, not bothered about that tbh, my suspension setups have always put handling before looks. If i wanted looks id drive a TT still, not a french sh1tbox.

I used to have a TT! even low on reltively cheap coilies the Clio is a much better handling car!!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I used to have a TT! even low on reltively cheap coilies the Clio is a much better handling car!!!

Again, id disagree, the TT doesnt offer much in the way of feedback, but purely from a grip perspective it would rip a Clio a new one in 'the twisties', not much fun doing it, but considerably faster point to point!! It was running Michelin Pilot Sport 2's at £150 a corner though ...

Imho of course.

Iceberg 172
Again, id disagree, the TT doesnt offer much in the way of feedback, but purely from a grip perspective it would rip a Clio a new one in 'the twisties', not much fun doing it, but considerably faster point to point!! It was running Michelin Pilot Sport 2's at £150 a corner though ...

Imho of course.

I'd agree with you actually. I meant more fun.

Sorry I was replying quickly on my iPhone and completely said the wrong thing.

Z4
If you're keeping it standard, there's nothing in it regards straight line acceleration.

I had a play with a mates mk1 frs when I owned my cup and it was neck and neck up until 110 when we had to slow down! Obviously in gear the Rs will be better due to the extra torque from the tubby.

Out of the 2 cars you cant go too far wrong, both will be give you a big smile on your face and hold their value!

Personally I'd go with the mk1 frs though, although I've not driven a trophy I cant imagine it's too different from a good cup. However, I would also rather a mint tropthy than a dog Rs, and believe me there's a lot about! (I was looking for a minter before I got my M3)

Clio 182 Trophy
Hey all i know my opinion is going to seem biased due to owning a Trophy however i had a look into the Focus RS MK1 before i bought my Trophy and i have to say i stick by my decision. The potential for power out of the Focus is rather great and a lot less money spent on compared to similar power from a Trophy. The handling of the Clio and the fact that they were reliable and rarely rust or if they do its minor made me go for the Trophy as i wanted something that is low maintenance for every day driving yet fun to thrash and do a few track days which i have yet to experiance, i have also heard by word of mouth that the RS is rather expensive to keep running due to engine troubles.
I would just like to point out due to the age of the Trophy there is some rather high bills to pay for one being timing belt and aux belt another being spark plugs iv recently had my coil and leads go on mine so they were replaced with the spark plugs and general service costs. Another thing they seem to eat is lower ball joints i had mine start knocking so recently done them and on the cards next is suspension refurbishment from bg motorsports.
The Focus and this is speaking from a mechanics point of view all that era of Ford's be it the Focus, Fiesta etc rust quick so if purchasing one thats your first point of call to treat and prevent. Iv seen first hand what Focus' go like and they aint too pretty for there age.
The dash in my opinion for a performance car in the ford seems cheap and nasty especially the steering wheel and before you say it i never driven a RS well i driven an 1.8 16v, 2.0 16v ST and there identical inside cheap and not too appealing. I know the clio has a cheap dash too it's just it does look much nicer in my opinion.
Anyway to sum up all in all both cars are rather tasty and its entirely your opinion on which you chose.

Iceberg 172
I think the Cup was a good one tbh. That engine was very strong and pulled bloody well considering I was used to 280+ bhp in a polo!

Clear your inbox mate!!!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The Focus and this is speaking from a mechanics point of view all that era of Ford's be it the Focus, Fiesta etc rust quick so if purchasing one thats your first point of call to treat and prevent. Iv seen first hand what Focus' go like and they aint too pretty for there age.

Wasn't that mainly a problem with the pre 02 Focus? They started to galvanize them after that.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
nooooo its measured in metre's iirc!

Nah a reckon it must be around 360-70 at a guess? A normal wheel is around 350mm, nice small (momo) one is around 330

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
You sure? It feels smaller..
Its a few mm closer and chunkier apparently, and less like driving a bus.
Theoretical is good enough for me, better that a sabelt wheel with a metal front!

(OFF TOPIC!)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Picture proven. Il shut up

It does sit closer, the back of the wheel seems chunkier. Feels nicer, if you don't want to go aftermarket it's worthwhile. But doesn't compare to a decent aftermarket wheel. At all.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
It does sit closer, the back of the wheel seems chunkier. Feels nicer, if you don't want to go aftermarket it's worthwhile. But doesn't compare to a decent aftermarket wheel. At all.
I bet,..
I just dont like the look / knowledge that theres no chance of airbag if worst came to the worst.
When I dorve a 200 I wouldnt have guessed that they were the same dia. If theres one thing I could change about the trophy/any 1*2 it would be driving position, steering wheel NEEDS to be closer. Iirc from JMS's testing the mk3 wheel is 5mm closer.. (I'll take every mm I can get!)

STOP MAKING ME REPLY OFF TOPIC :D

Iceberg 172
Best mod I did was change the wheel. I personally don't like the thought of an airbag exploding in my face so was never a concern to me!

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Thought id add my input...

A year and a half ago I sold my Trophy to buy a mk1 Focus RS,
I had the trophy for a year and was looking for more power but thought it was costing alot for very minimal gain with itb's etc, so wanted something turbo and with a LSD,
There are days I miss the trophy but I havent regreted it, with these wet roads it gets the power down alot better, and I realy enjoy driving it. It feels alot better put together and the interior has realy grown on me dispite allwhat people says about it. Only bother it has gave me was burst water pipe and power steering pump, I just make sure and get her serviced plenty and warm it up and cool her down after giving her abuse.