ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fogs!!!!!!!

wxmlad said:
ok im prob gonna get shot down for this comment,i know it is illegal but why? fogs are so low down they dont really dazzle , well ive never been dazzeld

(ps i dont drive with my fogs on either;))

Thats a good point. The positioning of the lamps is partly why they are resticted. In wet conditions because the lights are so low and intense (more intense than non xenon headlamps anyway!) they will 'blanket light' the road, meaning you'll get a nasty relection which is more dazzling than the lights themselves. This is why its particually stupid to have them on when its raining, as some people do.

As far as safety goes, rear fogs are far more important than fronts. The rear ones supposidly prevent you being rear ended at speed, on the m-way for example. The front ones are to simply aid the driver by seeing the edge of the road, not to prevent accidents.

Astra SRi T
like i said i dont really use my fogs, only in fog - which i dont think there is ever any round here, i do however use then on back roads/lanes, as i dont like using main beam because u cant see other cars headlights when approaching bends etc

Golf GTI 1.8T
^^ you do that when your on small country roads like round here, you dont want to be in the middle of the road round a bend if a cars coming.

Golf GTI 1.8T
and I always drive with my fogs on :rasp:

msnclio.jpg

Cup 172
Getting back to the 'what are sidelights for' issue. Isn't it a legal requirement that you must have sidelights on if your car is parked at night in a 40mph zone or above?

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
Jon1978 said:
First off: what Williams025 says is absolutely right.

Secondly re the quote above, because, contrary to popular belief most Police are not concerned with "easy convictions" in motoring offences, and DO have far better things to be doing.

Re whoever said having sidelights and fogs on is ok, which Police Force told you that bo11ocks?

think u picked up my post wrong mate, i wasnt having a dig at the police, just saying they dont do anything about it :rasp:

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
Williams025 said:
Ah, true. Though I think (havnt read that link) only in a 30 limit. 40 or above iirc you have to use main beams.

dosent specificily depend on speed limit only when streetlamps are less than 185 meters spaced.

as if your going to crack out the tape measure lol!

E36 323i coupe
wxmlad said:
You cant see other cars coming on narrow bk roads if u have main beam on!!

Rubbish! I've never not seen another car coming cos I've had full beam on on a country lane in 11 years of driving (lots) !!

E36 323i coupe
jonesyx said:
think u picked up my post wrong mate, i wasnt having a dig at the police, just saying they dont do anything about it :rasp:

No I didn't. Sorry if I gave that impression. It was just a general remark re the general concensus that all the Police do is nail motorists. (I know it feels that way with the million trillion cameras there are on the roads, but hey!)

Da

Less
blaze, we get the idea...
soap box off get your (rearrange to make a well known phrase) ;)

:rasp:

Black Gold 182
blaze said:
still illegal to drive with them on.when it's not foggy.

Who cares what they think they look like?????

Actually its the other way around. Everyone on this thread is tryin to be so neat about this topic. It is illegal to tint the car in many places, illegal to change the steering wheel in others, but ppl do like doin these things. Same with fogs.

Astra SRi T
Jon1978 said:
Rubbish! I've never not seen another car coming cos I've had full beam on on a country lane in 11 years of driving (lots) !!

well thats my opinion and i think u'll find that lots of people who live in the country and regualrly use small narrow lanes with high hedges and dangreous bends will agree that driving with dipped beam allows u to see other cars headlights approching rather than a few meters when u meet some one on a narrow bend doing 50mph!!

Astra SRi T
dezert said:
Actually its the other way around. Everyone on this thread is tryin to be so neat about this topic. It is illegal to tint the car in many places, illegal to change the steering wheel in others, but ppl do like doin these things. Same with fogs.

agree. and how many people break the law every single day by going over the speed limit!!

Mk1 16v
This really annoys the sh*t out of me too!

Today for example i seen some wannabe ganster in a chavved up BMW driving round with his bloody fogs on in broad daylight, i mean wtf?

I think young people do think that fog lights 'look cool' I myself am young but have never ever thought that fog lights looks cool.

Rich.

Who cares who breaks the speed limit, the question is one of fogs.

Of course people will speed, hopefully safely. Why oh why compound the illegality of your actions????

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
on a narrow bend doing 50mph

if you do that speed on what you describe as 'narrow' then you don't have much common sense do you.

As for your view on visibility on country lanes, driving around with dipped beams instead of main beam is more dangerous as you won't see pedestrians walking, or animals etc. The lanes I live on, i just quickly flick from main to dipped for 2 seconds when i am approaching a bend, that way you can see whats coming and still be safe.

As for fogs when its not foggy, it's not big and its not clever, and it certainly isn't cool.

Astra SRi T
blaze said:
Who cares who breaks the speed limit, the question is one of fogs.

Of course people will speed, hopefully safely. Why oh why compound the illegality of your actions????

well im sure people who have been victims of RTA's due to other road users speeding might:S, im sure more RTA's are caused by speeding than fog lights!

like i said earlier i agree driving round in broad day light and in town/citys centres with fogs on is stupid and pointless! however driving out on country roads i think they improve visability!

i am not trying to justify my illegal actions , i am trying to point out that some people break the law everyday in there own little way with out even thinking about it, the issue of fog lights seems to be one of some drivers being slightly pi55ed off with other road users using fog lights rather than the safety aspect such as speeding

Astra SRi T
Rhys182 said:
if you do that speed on what you describe as 'narrow' then you don't have much common sense do you.

not me!! some people drive down country lanes like there on a rally track!! - stating id rather be able to see thier headlights than not and meet them on a bend at that speed!!!!!!!

Da

Less
driving with fogs on isn't an endorsable offence iirc, hardly comparable with speeding...

Astra SRi T
As for your view on visibility on country lanes, driving around with dipped beams instead of main beam is more dangerous as you won't see pedestrians walking, or animals etc. The lanes I live on, i just quickly flick from main to dipped for 2 seconds when i am approaching a bend, that way you can see whats coming and still be safe.

you can see pedestrians etc.. with dipped beam , and when driving on country lanes in the dark i am more cautious - which im sure you are.

Da

Less
i know mate, pathetic really aint it... I mean yes, fogs in daylight are annoying, but I've never been 'dazzled' in anyway by them. I just look over, smile to myself and think 'What a t**t' :clown: Speeding, now that's a different story...

Honda Civic Type R '02
^^ true

it isn't helpful and i see all your points. I admit to having done it before.
But i dont find it annoying in the slightest. or blinding.

personally i think this is all a bit petty.
Next they'll be complaints about those who indicate too early.

if it makes all of u feel any better, i'll think twice about it in the future

Astra SRi T
all my point was : driving around in the day or @ nite in a town centre with fogs on - pointless, stupid.

driving down narrow country lanes at night - fogs in my opinion provided more visablity ( my opinion) not to look cool!!

yes its illegal - i dont use them on main roads where they might cause other drivers to be dazzeled (which have i have never been) and fogs arent needed

Mini Cooper S sport
Ally said:
Me, I honestly can say I've only used the fogs when it's foggy. I think it's wrong to have fogs on at other times simply because they're distracting and can dazzle other drivers.

Ditto! I think I've used my fogs ONCE the whole time I've had the car. It just annoys me to see other people driving around with them on.

E36 323i coupe
smillie said:
^^ true

Next they'll be complaints about those who indicate too early.

Well, now you come to mention it....

Fog lights on, breaking the speed limit, no seatbelt - they may carry different penalties, but at the end of the day, there is no difference: they are all road traffic offences, and in committing them, you are breaking the law.

If there is one person on here who has never sped, then I will eat my boot. However, inappropriate use of lighting, and not wearing a seatbelt are nauseating little things which drive people round the bend. At the end of the day they only really hurt you. With fogs people think... "tw@t" and with no seatbelt, you become part of the tarmac or part of the front seat passengers in the event of an accident... the latter being slightly worse, cos then people like me have to scrape you up.

At the end of the day the law is being broken on all counts, and therefore, if you get caught, take the fine graciously, and then just shut up. Breaking the law is not cool. End of story.

my girlfriend on a number of times has driven round with her fogs on and last sunday going to bugerking before guildford cruise, i pulled in with my side lights on and did not relise the fogs where "on" as i have only owned this for a few days.. 2nd DAY of Driving IT and i got fined 30quid.... honest mistake and the copper was not having none of it. my girlfriend thought this was funny....

182BG
Bloke at work actually wired his fog lights to come on with the headlights, really can't understand why, doesn't look cool!!!

I have very sensitive eyes, and actually have to wear special tinted glasses when driving at night, which is fair enough i dont mind. But what pisses me off imensly is when f**king c**k heads driving around in the day (when its not foggy) with the fogs on. I can't f**king see!!!! and im not wearing my glasses in the day too

so be warned, im driving around in a wanky little fiesta, so if i see you with your fogs on, i will actually drive in to you, i dont care!

as for zenons, i agree with evogone ;)

My rant over

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
wxmlad said:
well im sure people who have been victims of RTA's due to other road users speeding might:S, im sure more RTA's are caused by speeding than fog lights!

like i said earlier i agree driving round in broad day light and in town/citys centres with fogs on is stupid and pointless! however driving out on country roads i think they improve visability!

i am not trying to justify my illegal actions , i am trying to point out that some people break the law everyday in there own little way with out even thinking about it, the issue of fog lights seems to be one of some drivers being slightly pi55ed off with other road users using fog lights rather than the safety aspect such as speeding

Fogs lights do not improve visibilty, you want to see what possible hazzard or corner is in front of you. Not whats 2 metres in front. Fogs are useless, they dont really work in the fog and they certantly dont improve visibilty at night. They might about 2 metres in front and maybe a bit to the each side of the car, but as I said. You want to know whats down the road and be able to stop in the distance that is seen to be clear!

Black Gold 182
M1TCH said:
Is the light on your dials not enough to tell you that you have them on then?? :S

I have the autolights on, and when i turn on the fogs the fog sign doesnt light up on the dash. It only works when I turn on the light, instead of keeping it at "0'''(which is autolight).

Which reminds me, how do u turn off this feature? (sorry offtopic)

Golf GTI 1.8T
they work for me in the fog :S

I flash people with full beams on that have fogs on, or turn my rear fogs on if someone following me has theres on.

330Ci M Sport
should maybe change me avatar for the benefit of this conversation, and no i dont drive with them on, but tbh they dont blind or offend me if someone else has them on, boyracers? generally yes....but at least it makes them easier to spot and avoid! xenons do annoy me tho.....too blinding some of the time.....but would i have them if i had the chance? dam right.

BMW 320d SE
I agree with the majority of people about this. However, I do use my foglights from time to time. I do a lot of motorway driving, and when the spray is really kicking up and it's getting hard to see other road users, I turn them on (front and rear). It's surely better and safer to be seen in poor conditions - especially at motorway speeds?

As for xenons - I get the odd loser flashing me, but I just Hi-beam them to prove a point!