ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Formula Renault Engine

Williams Clio
Bit of a random one this but im trying to help a college get a 1991 Formula Renault up and running for next season.

The guy who is leading the project is looking to a fit a 2.0ltr engine to it before the end of this year. Currently there is a 1.7ltr engine, which im guessing was originally fitted the Renault 21, which is mated to a Hewland gearbox (think its a H4)

Does anyone know is the F4R or F7R Renault engines will fit onto the Hewland with the current adaptor plate or is the 1.7ltr engine going to have a different mounting pattern?

I'm also guessing that an new ECU, loom, exhaust and intake manifold and dry sump kit will be required.

Any help would me much apreciated.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Sorry to jack this thread. But you wouldn't happen to go to the Bicester campus would you? ;)

M

mini-valver

Im pretty sure the Hewland will fit onto an F series block, All the 5 speed Renault boxes are interchangeable AFAIK. Well, they all bolt up right, starter positions can change though.

Williams Clio
Oh an as Chris has already pointed out i don't have anything to do with the Bicester campus used to live not far from there though.

as long as the block was bolted to a J series gearbox.. I don't think the newer blocks have the right holes.

I know a guy who fitted a megane engine into one a few years back.

M

mini-valver

Think its just 6 speed boxes where the bellhousing differ. Pretty sure ALL 5 speed box's and bottom ends mated to a 5 speed as standard have the same stud pattern. Could be wrong though!