ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forza 3

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
My pictures are rubbish.. my plasma has an uber reflective screen :(

Another thing I've noticed with the R8... it has a lap timer in the dash... awesome

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Noticed this summary thus far :

I have played the demo with all the cars and all driving aids off.

I´m a bit confused (dissapointed?) with the physics. I was hopping more simulation, more weight into the cars, harder control with the more powerful cars but...it feels more or less the same as Forza 2, if not worse...

You take the competition Porsche 911 and you can alternate abrupt movements of the throttle and brake in the middle of a corner and the car doesn´t spin, it goes like rails.
Also, in average speed corners you can go full throttle all the way from low revs to the rev limiter in second gear and the car doesn´t break traction.

Also expected more sense of speed and the graphics aren´t all that impresive.

The sound is great, like in Forza 2, but not different or a big change.

I use a 37'' HD Ready TV and a Dolby Surround sound system.

I feel a bit..."indifferent", and I was someone who spent hours and hours on forums an YouTube looking for Forza 3 information and dreamed about the game.

Oh, and also :

Porche Flying Lizard - 01.01.441 so for with only TCS an ABS on, rest is off. I wish i had more than 2 laps cause a high 59 low 00's are possible.

There's something to beat.

Lee

BMW M2C
You are at home tho aren't you? I mean set off the download from work using the Xbox website....

Chris

I set mine off from the website for the console sat next to me. It moaned that it was assigned to my consle at home, so had to force the download to start on the console.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've been through all the race grids to make a list of the cars in the demo (that you can't use)

JCW race

Challenger '70
Genesis Coupe
Mazda 3
SEAT Ibiza
Honda Civic 07
VW Scirocco
Porsche 911 '73

Evo X race

Chrysler 300C
Porsche Cayenne
BMW 135i
Scoob WRX '08
Ferrari 250 GTO
Infiniti G37
Ford Focus '09

California race

CTS-V '09
Jag XKR-S
Lexus IS F
BMW M3 E92
Nissan 370Z
Camaro '10
Shelby GT500 '08

R8 V10 race

Corvette C6 Z06
F430
997 GT3 RS
Merc SL65
Murcielago LP640
Alfa 8C
Aston Martin DBS

#80 GT3-RSR race

Panoz GTLM
F430 x 3
M3 GT2
GT3-RSR
Viper CC

1.8 Civic EX
was that post from a forum scuth? post up the link please as it should end up being rather an amusing read as he's gonna get ripped to pieces for saying that lol

Audi TT
Liked it. That track is pretty tight. The V10 R8 is nice. Like the fact it's a lot more rear orientated with the power so you can hang the arse out a bit.

Will probably buy the full version when it comes out after my holiday :)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
like i said previously in the thread, some people are expecting so much of this game, they were bound to be disappointed.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
like i said previously in the thread, some people are expecting so much of this game, they were bound to be disappointed.

It's the same with the football games too, like Fifa and PES. Some of the comments are utterly ridiculous. They'd be better off going outside and kicking a ball around if they want 100% realism. They're games, not reality.

I'm not saying realism shouldn't be as perfect as it's possible to be, but some people expect far too much.

Nippy white cup
just had a look on forzacentral and one guy basically slated the handling then the next poster said how good it was lol. I'll wait and see...although someone mentioned brake squeal which would be cool...any confirmation of this?

Chris

Lee

BMW M2C
I've gone way too far now. I've put the 6 speed shifter on, and I'm going to try the R8 with a clutch and manual box.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Heres a more balanced review

"Ok so I just finished racing with all the cars in the demo, and here are my first thoughts:

Handling - I turned all the assists off and raced on "Medium" setting with the controller and the cars seem to handle a bit too well and seem to lack weight surprisingly, maybe it's just because i'm not used to it yet...it didn't seem too hard for me to stay on the track compared to some of the retards i've seen in preview videos with all the assists on who can't seem to stay on the track for more than 10 seconds...

Sound - I've got my 360 hooked up to a Marantz receiver and some good speakers and the engines sound awesome, a big improvement over Forza 2.

Graphics - Very nice, "in-game" certainly uses a lower level of anti-aliasing than the replays but still looks pretty good....don't expect graphics as sharp as the screenshots, it looks good but not perfect like the screenies.

AI - Seemed pretty good if not a bit aggressive, definently need to see more though.

Gonna go give it a decent thrashing now and see if I change my mind on anything..."

Generally positive comments about the feel on Forzamotorsport.net. Someone was complaining about the higher level of grip until someone pointed out that all the cars in the demo are all modern cars which would have high levels of grip in real life. Will be interesting to see if the same comments are made once people get hold of the classics and muscle cars.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
This always happens with demo's. It's like a 1% portal to the full game. I played the Dead Space demo and thought it was utter gash. Bought the full game after reading a few reviews and loved it. Forza will be no different. It's a huge, huge game with so many avenues available which are not in the demo. Can't wait to download this later.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'll second what that post says about the AI being more aggressive... definitely an improvement over 2, but not quite as ridiculously aggressive as the AI in shift.

I did get spun a few times :p

Lee

BMW M2C
Lol at Lee!

You should just live your life in that seat!

It's not hooked up to the seat as the mount for the wheel won't fit and the pedals are too wide. :( It's on my desk though.

Christ it's hard having to use a proper shifter and clutch! It's a lot easier in real life. lol

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Another good summary :

Have seen no rubber banding, and the AI is MUCH MUCH better. The response to pressure is quite impressive (did I say that...) and they actually drive the cars with human like responses, not uber frame by frame perfect corrections. So they save getting out of line in realistic and proper ways. Plus getting them making blocking maneuvers and then passing into a corner is great.

Well, after practically no sleep and staying up till the wee hours of the morning I finally got my hands on the much anticipated Forza Motorsport 3 demo. If any of you are fans of the Forza Motorsport series
emotion-4.gif
you know that this game is going to be big. How big? Like super massive black hole big. With that in mind here are my initial impressions of the game.
Physics:
The cars themselves actually do feel heavier. Why this is I can't really say, since how do you exactly convey "weight" or "mass" to the player through a little plastic controller? It's not like the controller itself gets heavier or anything, or that the thumb sticks get harder to push around. What it is exactly I can't tell but in the end the fact that it is present gives this game a whole new dimension of awesomeness. No longer do you have cars that seem like they are just floating across the tarmac with absolutely no weight to them and changed direction as if they had rocket boosters mounted on each side of the car. No, this time around you feel like the car has weight to it.
There is also a whole new set of tire deformation physics that in my opinion will differentiate this game from Gran Turismo. The tires themselves visibly deform on screen when you go over bumps and around corners. This deformation is modeled into the way the car feels and handles. Ever tried taking a turn quickly in real life over a slight crest? Remember how the car feels like it is lifting off of the ground but you can still maintain control because the tires are still in contact with the ground? Well, there is actually a sense of this happening in the Forza 3 demo. It is hard to explain but when you take some of the corners on the track that go over the crests, the cars feel like they "lift" off the ground only to snap back as the weight settles back down.

Very very cool.
New Features:

There is a new clutch feature that is mapped to the left bumper of the xbox 360 controller that adds a new dimension to the game. Though there is a slight learning curve to using this efficiently it is in my opinion no where near as difficult as driving without ABS for the first time. The one thing I found annoying about the clutch is how difficult it was to brake and use the clutch at the same time. I thought long and hard about this but it beats me as to where to move the clutch on the controller. As it is I would say the clutch is in the best place possible though at the same time ironically difficult.
Autobrake is one feature that I just hate. I get the concept and all but when I tried it the lack of control made me feel like I was caught in a relationship with a successful business woman (not that I don't like successful business women
emotion-1.gif
). What this feature does as most of you who follow the game know is brake for you automatically as you come up to a turn. Some people thought that this would lead to an unfair advantage for those who use it but I can honestly say you are definitely slower while using the feature. One thing to keep in mind is that it seems like this feature uses the in game racing line as a guide and as we all know that line isn't always the fastest. So no worries of 11 year old kids in Bugatti Veyrons lapping you here.
PI system:
The PI system seems to be better now, though with the limited set of cars and no ability to tune them it will be hard to determine anything concrete about it until the full game comes out.
Graphics:
The new graphics engine is rock solid. It is an absolute step up from Forza 2 which in comparison shouldn't be on the same console. The cars are every bit as beautiful as the screenshots and videos we have seen. The environment is crisp and detailed and really adds to the sense of immersion that the developers were undoubtedly trying to produce. The whole time I was playing I did not notice a single skip in frame rate or any noticeable aliasing that detracted from the environment. I'm sure there will be some of you that don't agree but all I have to say to that is screw you.
Summary:
All in all I have to say that Forza 3 is shaping up to be every bit as great as we expect it to be. Thank you Turn 10 for putting so much effort into the game, it really is paying off.

106 GTI
Im downloading now, as for being block passed that sounds awesome.

Imagine leading the race then being caught up and having to drive defensively

One word. Awesome.

Done the first race in the Mini. The handling and feel is better than FM2, the noise is better, the AI is better, the graphics are awesome. Little tweaks like when you go over a bump you can feel and hear the car bottoming out. When the cars go over the little crests you get the impression of lift and the steering goes light, the wheels spin up a bit. Then the compression on the other side.

More to come, plus pics!

Last edited: