ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forza 3

A4 Avant
I want to wait until the full game is released before renewing my gold subscription. When does the demo come out on silver?

Next week^^

As for multiplayer, nope, there is a hotlap online leaderboard but no actual multiplayer.

Alex, good to hear your thoughts seeing as you're a "known quantity" if Chris or Chris we're off I'd be doing the same with their opinions. Will have to download this when I get home and have a peek tonight.

Couple more opinions
This post probably won't be well organised as I am just writing as it comes to me.
In Car View: Many games have in car view, but it never really holds my interest. I use it briefly to test it out but usually end up going back to hood/bumper view as I find it to be more distracting than anything. Grid was like that for me and Race Pro has the same issue. I can't put into words what exactly I didn't like about them, but part of it had to do with limiting view and making it a lot harder to hit an apex (for me anyway) than using the bumper or hood views.

What ever turn10 has done differently works. At no point while playing the demo did I think "Hmm, I'd be faster in hood view because..." While I did switch views a few times just to see how different angles looked, when I was actually racing I stayed in cockpit view. Whatever you did Turn10 I love it and plan to use Cockpit from now on.

Rewind: I was never a fan of rewind, but I admit in my first few races I used it. Mostly because the AI kept hitting me up the rear and it was frustrating, so hey at least it does what you intended, stop the rage quit.
emotion-5.gif
When it comes to general usage, It's going to be very useful for learning specific troublesome corners, particularly on the longer tracks.
The one and only thing I don't like about it is that I can't choose where to restart from. I would have much preferred to have a live rewind feature similar to Grid/Dirt 2 that allows me to stop at a chosen point rather than it automatically rewind to specific points of the game's seemingly random choosing.

The Clutch: I won't say anything about it's overall addition as the clutch is really a personal thing, I chose to use it. What I don't like was the choice to stick it on the LB slot. I think it would have been better suited to the A button. I never use the e-brake except when I try and drift and that would have probably been better mapped to the LB slot so the A button was for the clutch. It's a lot easier to hit the A button and X/down shift with the thumb than it is trying to brake and down shift in the current layout. The more I play with the controller the quicker I am adapting to it, sooner or later I probably won't care, but on immediately picking it up it feels awkward. Alternatively it could have been mapped to the Y button, not as easy to hit but it's not like the look back button is needed when you can just hit back on the RS instead.

Physics: The physics are better. There's more sense of weight to the cars, you can feel what the car is doing even through the controller. When I touch the grass or knock the wall, every thing happens how I would expect it to. I don't feel like the car is going to over steer when it shouldn't and when I brake too heavily or too late, the car under steers and it feels completely natural and above all else, improved over Forza 2.
When I jumped in the Porsche, I immediately felt the difference from the Ferrari. Right from the first corner I knew that if I didn't concentrate a bit more than in some of the other cars, the Porsche would stick me in the wall backwards. It truly felt less forgiving to slight lapses and heavy footedness.

Controls with controller: One thing I felt straight away is that the controller felt much more accurate this time around. In Forza 2 I didn't have confidence going into some corners that I would hit the apex as the LS didn't seem as accurate as I would have liked. A good example of that is the left hander at Mugello where the track splits from the longer and shorter variations. I never felt confident at speed on that left hander when using the stick, but I did using the wheel.

So far the controller has felt perfect to me. At no point did I feel the controller wasn't giving me enough accuracy to take the corner as fast as I feel I can. It was much more natural and flowing as it should be.

Controls with wheel: I also used the MS wheel to see the difference and to be honest, it felt just as natural with the controller as the wheel did. The brakes don't seem quite as sensitive without ABS on any more which is an improvement for my heavy left foot. The only thing that might slow you down at first is the A button clutch. I don't have huge hands to reaching for the A button on the wheel while turning or changing gear is a stretch, but it's something I will have to get used to until I can afford the clubsport pedals for the Fanatec wheel. All in all the wheel feels exactly like it should and operates perfectly.

Graphics: Well, I'll leave this one to Homer.

droolinghomer712749giff.png

Absolutely love it!! It's pretty, it flows nicely, and I haven't been able to make it stutter yet. Cars flip as promised.
And yes, the LB clutch button sucks, but what can you do? there's really no other place to put it. Maybe swap LB and RB? that's about all I can think of for the clutch. controls are identical otherwise, with the exception of in-game HUD (damage, tire temp, etc.) was moved to D-pad right.
D-pad left will show you launch and drift points earned. you need to have drift displayed on the HUD to earn drift points. I assume they'll be worth something in the full game.
Replay cam options are pretty wild. There really are a gazillion of them. Remember to highlight the camera icon and HOLD the A button to select cameras, and when you've selected the camera you like, TAP the A button to change viiew. a cockpit view in replay would have been nice. again, i'm guessing that's in the final product.
as for cockpit view, don't forget to hold the right stick UP while looking left and right to see your interior. there is no up or down in cockpit view. sad, hope that changes. probably won't.
I'm assuming all that interior work will be of some value in photo mode, but there's no photo mode in the demo. they don't want to give too much away i suppose. that's smart, keeps people wanting more.
clutch feel is good. you need to rev up a little before releasing clutch (for those of you not used to a clutch in these games) or else you'll stall. and yes, you will stall. i'm pleased to see that was taken into account.
weight transfer for drifting is drastically different, and i suspect it has everything to do with the new tire physics. nice touch, but a pain when you're trying to sling the ass of a car from side to side.
Oh, and something i found out early on. if you destroy your car in a wreck and you're using the clutch, you'll quickly learn that you're not going anywhere. you'll actually roll backwards (again, for those of you not used to proper clutches in video games).
However, if you rapidly tap the clutch while holding the gas to move, you'll start rolling with some decent momentum. kind of like the rapid-shift glitch in FM2, but this one's useful only if you're using a clutch, which IMHO most controller users won't go near unless we can remap buttons.
if i find more glitches, i'll be sure to point them out. hopefully, maybe, the game will hit store shelves with a patch waiting to fix any glitches/problems.
make sure you bug report, people!!! demos are a fancy way of saying public beta. remember that.
and speaking of remaps, since i use shift-on-stick in all racing games that can do it, all that extra cockpit that isn't directly in front of me will be useless. not T10's fault, this happened to me in WTCC Race, GRID, DIRT, etc. but since you can't remap in the demo, i still hope my shift-on-stick is still there in the GM.
and that mystery bar in the telemetry everyone was on about in those videos is your handbrake, and it is progressive. god i wish steering wheel controllers had handbrakes...
very polished game, can't wait for the whole thing.
and that, all of that, is my first impression of the demo.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Great stuff again, Turkish :)

On another note, I thought I'd posted a fair few comments in this thread, but you're beating me on a ratio of almost 5 to 1 (Turkish 582, Scutch 128) !! LOL. You should be commended further.

Never above 25mpg
Love it. Certainly better in-game physics!!

I nearly got dicked twice though with the EVO X as the Cayenne and 300C have serious torque up the hills...

Lee

BMW M2C
Controls with wheel:
I also used the MS wheel to see the difference and to be honest, it felt just as natural with the controller as the wheel did. The brakes don't seem quite as sensitive without ABS on any more which is an improvement for my heavy left foot. The only thing that might slow you down at first is the A button clutch. I don't have huge hands to reaching for the A button on the wheel while turning or changing gear is a stretch, but it's something I will have to get used to until I can afford the clubsport pedals for the Fanatec wheel. All in all the wheel feels exactly like it should and operates perfectly.

That comment is spot on, the brakes are massively better with pedals. Using the Fanatec pedals I have to push the brake so hard to get a lock up, that my chair rolls back. I've had to put a block under my rear wheel!!

The physics jump is similar to the one taken from GT3 to GT4. The cars feel much heavier and don't skate around in the same way as they did in F2.

Chris is online, he's just told me he likes men. Which I think was refering to the fact I was playing DiRT2 instead of the Forza 3 demo. I've had my fill for now, I'm wet, but I need to finish DiRT2 and Halo 3 ODST before F3 hits.

Have to say that the vids don't really do the sound any justice, it's so rich! Vid coming from me. Not a fine example of driving, more trying to disprove a few theories / have a mess about. It's in the Porka, driving with clutch (as you'll hear the 25second gear changes).

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
LOL Chris!

That's not all, I found this one on ForzaCentral :

:eek:

Almost identical. I even chose those clothes when I first put my guy together. Crazy. I had to do a double take when I saw it this morning.

I guess all the cars are Auto's as the drivers hands are glued to the wheel all the time?!

They had issues with there being no collision detection on the wheel rims so hands glitched through. Time was running out so the shift animation got sacked off.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
They had issues with there being no collision detection on the wheel rims so hands glitched through. Time was running out so the shift animation got sacked off.

On the positive side, they included some lovely FM3 mittens.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah, no idea why my guy is so small. 5'11" yet look like a midget. Or goblin.

Decent vid, Alex. Would be much, much better if the quality was up a notch. Can't really do much about that with a camera phone, though.

Effort :)

Awesome. I suck at it but it's awesome.

The graphics look about 4 years older than the screen caps would have suggested, but then I knew that anyway. Initial impressions are Forza 2 with far better graphics and sound.