ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Found the problem with my 172!

2002 Clio 172
Hi guys.

As some of you will know I've been moaning on here about my clio and what the hell is wrong with it.

Had the engine in bits slightly and turns out the idlers shattered and knocked the timing out.

From looking at the tipex markings on the cam sprockets, the timing as moved approximately 2 teeth. However I now face the problem of either getting a new timing kit, getting it fitted and hope no engine damage was caused by movement of 2 teeth, OR just get rid of the car in its current state. Remember, there is not a definite chance that the engine will run after the timing kit replacement which is why I'm asking for advice and what would everyone else do given the same scenario.

Cheers guys

FF RB 182
Can't you re-time it all up correctly.. turn the engine over by hand a few times checking no valves are touching etc. Or even if your brave run it up briefly, then if all is well fit all new gear..

Sorry but flol. Timing being out two teeth according to tipex marks!!! Timing wouldn't have been right in the first place.

Tippex doesn't work.

2002 Clio 172
Can't you re-time it all up correctly.. turn the engine over by hand a few times checking no valves are touching etc. Or even if your brave run it up briefly, then if all is well fit all new gear..

The idler has broke, so there wouldn't be correct tension with a full cycle if you know what I mean

Clio 172
This is something I think that is wrong with my car had the belt done 3 months ago I'm pretty sure you don't need a new kit? It's not a cheap job either...