ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yep, definitely a wheel nerd!

I think out of those, the ATS are probably the best looking, followed by the OZ. I don't think dished wheels really suit Clios personally.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, definitely a wheel nerd!

I think out of those, the ATS are probably the best looking, followed by the OZ. I don't think dished wheels really suit Clios personally.

So hard to decide so wrote em all down :D
Agree the ATS look superb and lots of the guys run them at the Ring, also used for the Fiesta ST cup. Just convincing myself to spend out on a 15kg weight loss when i could easily have a 20kg weight loss. I thought writing it down would provide some clarity for my lunacy...

Er.... :D

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
More than anything this is just for fun and may be of interest to anyone doing similar:

So im still digging for wheels which are both lighter than the 2118s (not hard) and that i actually like the look of. I've tried really hard and still am to get a sensible price for a set of forged JDM wheels such as a Volk TE37/CE28N, SSR Type C or Regamaster EVOs. Alas theyre all stupidly rare, difficult to source used and either not made anymore or if they are theyre knocking on £2500/£3000 a set landed. Im mad but even i cant justify that money on a set of 15s lol
Pretty much ruled out Ultraleggeras too as im just not a fan of how they look. Cheap wheel and lightweight though.

And im down to 2 real options... i think. The Enkei RPF1 and the ATS DTC.

So I’ve done the following sums based on an example Nankang AR1 tyre which is likely to be the heaviest tyre I would ever fit. those that dont know, It’s a road legal cut slick much like an Toyo R888. And thrown in come prices too just to provide some contrast on why many opt for a 15" over a 16" wheel/tyre.

Wheels (Weights provided by manufacturer)
  • ATS DTC 15x7 5.7kg £190 per rim, £760 a set
  • Enkei RPF1 15x7 4.5kg £260 per rim , £1040 a set
  • Enkei RPF1 16x7 4.5kg £286 per rim , £1144 a set

AR1 (Weights provided by manufacturer)
  • 15” tyre 8.7kg Approx £100
  • 16” tyre 9.2kg Approx £150

Wheel and tyre assembled as follows.
  • 15” DTC 14.4kg
  • 15” RPF1 13.2kg
  • 16" DTC unavailable
  • 16” RPF1 15.4kg

For contrast, a 2118 at 9.6kg with an 8.7kg tyre is 18.3kg.

So based on a set of 4

• 2118s a set of 4 = 73.2kg!!
  • A set of 15” RPF1s = 52.8kg a 20.4kg weight loss
  • A set of 15” DTCs = 57.6kg a 15.6kg weight loss
  • A set of 16” RPF1s = 61.6kg a 11.6kg weight loss

So DTCs allow 15.6kg and RPF1s allow 20.4kg of rotating mass and unsprung weight to be dumped.

Knocked up a little table below with some other popular wheels just for fun.
Prices are approx at time of print, i dare say there are some deals to be had. All weights are manufacturer claimed.

DISCLAIMER - ALL INFO IS BASED ON MANUFACTURER CLAIMS, DONT GET ALL CRAZY IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE BELOW

WheelSizeWeight kgApprox cost per rim £Approx wheel set cost £TyreTyre sizeTyre weight kgAssembled weight with tyreWheel set assembly weight kgReduction in rotating mass & unsprung weight vs 2118 kg
Speedline 211815x79.6150600Nangkang AR1195/50/158.718.373.2NA
Volk CE28N15x74.2NAUsed £1200+Nangkang AR1195/50/158.712.951.621.6
Enkei RPF115x74.52601040Nangkang AR1195/50/158.713.252.820.4
OZ Superleggera15x74.99NANANangkang AR1195/50/158.713.6954.7618.44
OZ Ultraleggera15x74.99177708Nangkang AR1195/50/158.713.6954.7618.44
ATS DTC15x75.7190760Nangkang AR1195/50/158.714.457.615.6
TD Pro Race 1.215x76.2130520Nangkang AR1195/50/158.714.959.613.6
Enkei RPF116x76.22861144Nangkang AR1205/45/169.215.461.611.6
TD Pro Race 1.216x77.4151604Nangkang AR1205/45/169.216.666.46.8
Speedline 2120 Turini16x78.93NANANangkang AR2205/45/179.218.1372.520.68

RPF1s i think i prefer in a 16" visually, but maybe doesnt make sense from a cost perspective. Alternatively the DTC is pretty but a good chunk heavier. All be it they will still be significantly lighter than the 2118s fitted.View attachment 1490548View attachment 1490549View attachment 1490550View attachment 1490551

That is a very interesting read. Over 20kg extra weight for a set of 2118's is pretty significant!! I think I would happily get a set of 15" OZ wheels just based on weight and price. I agree the way they look is a bit hit and miss though.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
TBh i prefer the look of the Enkei RPF1 on a clio, they look purposeful and they are bloody damn light. At the end of the day you want every advantage you can get with unsprung mass, its going to translate really well on the road for feel and responsiveness.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
That is a very interesting read. Over 20kg extra weight for a set of 2118's is pretty significant!! I think I would happily get a set of 15" OZ wheels just based on weight and price. I agree the way they look is a bit hit and miss though.

Personally i think they look cool, but the weight is what bothers me. Correct 20kg of unsprung mass is alot. But its the rotating mass i think is the biggest gain.

TBh i prefer the look of the Enkei RPF1 on a clio, they look purposeful and they are bloody damn light. At the end of the day you want every advantage you can get with unsprung mass, its going to translate really well on the road for feel and responsiveness.

Of the two i think the ATS would suit the car better but i love the RPF1s too. I can only find a pic of 1 clio on RPF1s and its on 16s. I think it looks great but wheels are a funny thing and some just dont look right in small sizes. If you find any pics on your travels dude, drop them by.

You are mental.

Get a set of Oz wheels for track. Best cost for performance. Speedline / turini / TD for the road if it’s mor me about looks. Job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed mental. Yes the OZs are the best bang vs buck youll buy but i dont think they look very nice. Id rather buy the lighter Enkeis over those.
This convo would be over if the ATS weighed the same as the Enkeis :D

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
So hard to decide so wrote em all down :D
Agree the ATS look superb and lots of the guys run them at the Ring, also used for the Fiesta ST cup. Just convincing myself to spend out on a 15kg weight loss when i could easily have a 20kg weight loss. I thought writing it down would provide some clarity for my lunacy...

Er.... :D

Ah yes, I thought they looked familiar. It's probably the fiestas that I have seen them on.

It's a tough one really. I guess it depends how much you value ultimate performance really. Obviously lighter is better but, on a road car, where you're probably not reaching the limits every day, and fair bit of time is spent doing monotonous stuff, the marginal gains become less worthwhile.

For me (and maybe I am a bit vain), I do get a lot of pleasure from my car looking as good as possible, so am willing to compromise a bit to achieve that, especially on a road car. I like owning a car that I want to turn around and look back at when I walk away. I think that would take me to the ATS personally. It's a huge weight saving over the 2118s, but they still look good. I think the Enkei would look too small in a 15 because of the design.

That being said, I would probably just stick with the 2118 in a lot of cases, as I do love the look. Though on your colour of car, silver wheels probably work better for me.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Ah yes, I thought they looked familiar. It's probably the fiestas that I have seen them on.

It's a tough one really. I guess it depends how much you value ultimate performance really. Obviously lighter is better but, on a road car, where you're probably not reaching the limits every day, and fair bit of time is spent doing monotonous stuff, the marginal gains become less worthwhile.

For me (and maybe I am a bit vain), I do get a lot of pleasure from my car looking as good as possible, so am willing to compromise a bit to achieve that, especially on a road car. I like owning a car that I want to turn around and look back at when I walk away. I think that would take me to the ATS personally. It's a huge weight saving over the 2118s, but they still look good. I think the Enkei would look too small in a 15 because of the design.

That being said, I would probably just stick with the 2118 in a lot of cases, as I do love the look. Though on your colour of car, silver wheels probably work better for me.

Whilst i agree with almost everything you've said there. I drive it every single day and every day i feel the weight of the 2118s with every single steering input.
They look cool but you really do notice it and you can feel how much harder the damper is having to work to control them. Maybe it placebo but to me they feel it in every control of the car.
The problem i have is i like both sets but like you fear the Enkei looking too small in a 15. I wish there were more Clios with different wheels so you could at least see a set before tyaking the plunge, but everyone seems to own the same stuff.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So, finally after a few weeks wait, my new exhaust system arrived. Yes I weighed up my options and seriously considered going back to Matt at Simpson’s. However when I started to really dive into it, I was looking at the thick end of £1300

After numerous conversations and videos sent by some good mates, namely @Ash J and @gambit of their PMS systems. I decided to give Nick @Pms a call and see if he could indeed supply me with one of his systems, but I wanted some custom straight cut 3” tips in a brushed finish. The PMS offered a lightweight design, not too loud, full 2.5” and without argument the best and most adjustable mounting system. All of this at less than half the cost of a Simpson setup.

I much prefer brushed systems over the polished stuff, my impreza was the same, as is my Cayman.

Nick kept me updated along the way and sure enough the new system arrived today. I’m exceptionally fussy when it comes to this sort of stuff and was very pleased with the quality. Lighter than the Orbisoud and BTM. The material quality doesn’t feel quite as good as the other 2, probably 90% but the construction and welds are very good indeed. The more you look at the PMS system the more you can see someone has actually sat down and genuinely thought about it. The hangers are adjustable in all directions except vertically.
To address the vertical adjustment I purchased some of the beautifully made Pro-Am stainless mounts. These happen to be 10mm shallower than my mounts so raise the exhaust 10mm, thus giving a snugger fit to the bumper.

I’ve gone for the full PMS decat but have also purchased their cat derestriction piece which I will have welded to my OEM cat for ease of swapping come MOT time.

I decided to fit up the system with the tips over protruding, let it heat cycle and then knock them back to where i wanted after. Easier to tap them in that pull them out I thought.

So after all that, photos photos photos.
The trusty BTM was off once more.

6F60A584-8487-4B54-9DFA-702F388860A2.jpeg
42E1EE07-2E44-409D-9A4F-521F0C32F1D2.jpeg
CB2D1B3D-4B16-450F-8904-5F2F800BA29F.jpeg
9B6922A2-95A7-4237-861B-0BAA753BDA33.jpeg
1F67911F-F231-4413-B4B4-8BC510B0A5AA.jpeg
F20DBCC0-EED3-4062-AF9F-6FD97F5F3C14.jpeg
15618E43-EC5E-4608-BB16-24C342D96074.jpeg
8CE86162-B81F-4470-89EB-9547B01C4DE9.jpeg
E8C02EE4-C48C-4563-AA2E-F35F2420686A.jpeg
C86D1934-04C8-42AB-A792-FB61C3B25FEC.jpeg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looks good that. PMS stuff does look good quality, and pretty good value. The brushed tips look good. Need some videos of it on the move 😎

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Loved my pms on my old 172. Went with a eBay Race system on my 182. Sounds great but keep looking at getting a Pms for it

Attachments

• VID-20190121-WA0020.mp4
    2.1 MB

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Lovely Frayz 👌

Knew you would be happy with the Pure system, coupled with the ProAM mounts for a snug fit.

The system cannot be beaten for the price.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Awesome stuff. The quality of fitment and the adjustability of the PMS system is without doubt the best on the market. That brushed look on the exhaust tips look spot on and so does the location within the bumper. Very nice indeed !

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
That looks and sounds the business.
I agree on the tips too. I can appreciate the motorsport finish. 👍

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers chaps. This was the finish I was after but really didn’t want to cut up either the Orbisoud or my BTM to achieve it.
I have to say I’m really pleased with its fit, finish and sound. I think it sounds as purposeful as it looks. The Orbisoud was the best sounding Clio pipe I’d heard and I have to say I genuinely think this sounds even better.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
So the wheels hunt continues, and have had the news this morning that the ATS DTC are 100% not available. ATS have closed their motorsport dept and as the wheels are made to order, stocks are not kept. My only chance for a set is now a used set.

One of my favourite parts of the 2118s is they ooze “motorsport”, they look like they have been taken straight off a race car and they give the little Clio a very motorsport style look. Very few wheels can deliver this look and most that can are as heavy or heavier than the 2118s fitted. Neither the OZ SL or UL offer this kind I’d look either, neither do any of the JDM offerings. So while I’ve got no issue buying a set of RPF1s, I’m not convinced they’re going to look right either. Magnesium 2118s are still over 7kg too.

So this leads me to two wheels which are nowhere near as light as I was looking at, but still offer the look that I think I like most and that suits the car.
The EVO Corse X3MA and the Braid Fullrace C.
The X3MAs are slightly lighter of the two being just over 6kg. As said, not as light as I’d like but still a solid 3kg saving per corner.

Braids are available in white or anthracite.
X3MAs are white, silver, gold or anthracite.
Both a 15x7 with an ET35.

Anyone got any further suggestions?

8E288010-AA99-44E7-8526-9BE45F426A38.png
004C8876-25F3-4A09-AD76-DF72B73B243F.jpeg
E5852B2B-45B0-4D30-945E-712115BE26A5.jpeg
0C075338-1707-401F-A56A-819538877C97.jpeg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
ATS are still gonna have some of their motorsport wheels available through there aftermarket range but I guess it'll be pretty limited sizes etc.

Braid are really nice though and thr UK guys are great to deal with

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
ATS are still gonna have some of their motorsport wheels available through there aftermarket range but I guess it'll be pretty limited sizes etc.

Braid are really nice though and thr UK guys are great to deal with

Agree on Braid being good guys in the UK. Spoke with Richard and Jonny today. Nick is the main guy for the Clio fitments so they prefer me to go through him. Nicks away till the 1st September so will probably give him a bell then.

ATS main agent in the UK is Alex @ AP Motorsport who I’ve been in talks with for weeks now. He said there’s no guarantee they will continue any of their motorsport stuff. I’d love some DTCs but just seems I’m too late which is a bummer.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it was Jonny I spoke with in the past, Too guy.

Weird, I'm sure Martin @ MS motorsport has been dealing with ATS for a lot longer than AP have been around, That's the info I got from him but I'd imagine it'll be their main popular sizes only seeing as a lot of race teams run them. DTC are thr best wheels about loved them in thr Megane, shame they didn't do them any bigger than a 9j

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it was Jonny I spoke with in the past, Too guy.

Weird, I'm sure Martin @ MS motorsport has been dealing with ATS for a lot longer than AP have been around, That's the info I got from him but I'd imagine it'll be their main popular sizes only seeing as a lot of race teams run them. DTC are thr best wheels about loved them in thr Megane, shame they didn't do them any bigger than a 9j

Can only go off what I’ve been told so far mate. Perhaps I’ll give MS Motorsport a call and see if I can get a set in the pipeline. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve always liked them, they’re a beautiful wheel and Actually quite similar in spoke design to the wheels on my Cayman.

Fun fact - Porsche spyder wheel on the front of the Cayman R is 19x8.5 weighs the same as my 15x7 Speedline 2118 (9.6kg) 😂

FC9AFEDB-5597-4440-AEA5-D26745655D9F.jpeg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's fair, AP seem to cater to a certain type of client, have you seen their Megane splitter [emoji1787]

Martin is another of the good ones to deal with, If there's any possibility he'll sort it out.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Went out with Frayz on Sunday for a morning blast with 2 others. This car is a real credit to him. Its looks and goes well.

The PMS exhaust is perfect too and all is hidden apart from the tailpipes, which is a big yes from me. Even following and going over ridges, its all hidden.

View attachment 1492229

Lol, im so used to you taking pics mate, i didnt even see you take this, grat snap!
To someone whos car and opinion i respect greatly, i genuinely appreciate the kind words.

Cracking morning out as always, with some great company. Love seeing the cars well bug spattered and thick with brake dust showing they have been used properly. :)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's fair, AP seem to cater to a certain type of client, have you seen their Megane splitter [emoji1787]

Martin is another of the good ones to deal with, If there's any possibility he'll sort it out.

Just spoken to Martin and dropped him an Email. Hes going to contact Timo @ ATS to see if they can help sort me out.
We shall see :)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Just spoken to Martin and dropped him an Email. Hes going to contact Timo @ ATS to see if they can help sort me out.
We shall see :)

Balls!!!

Hi Frayz

So just come off the phone to Thimo and sadly you was correct nothing in stock and sadly there future survival is dead, today they heard the buyers could not do deal before the closure deadline so ATS Motorsport will close as of the end of August

Sorry I couldn't help this time

Best Regards
Martin Hollands
M S Motorsport

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
I love this car with only one exception.

Every time you post a photo of the underneath it makes me realise how much further I need to go with mine. Bit like thinking you’ve got to the top of the mountain only to find the summit is another few kms away 🤣

Lovely work sir.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I love this car with only one exception.

Every time you post a photo of the underneath it makes me realise how much further I need to go with mine. Bit like thinking you’ve got to the top of the mountain only to find the summit is another few kms away 🤣

Lovely work sir.

Ha, im always quite suprised at the comments i receive regarding the condition of the underside. I really dont do anything special with it. It gets driven every day and washed every week, i usually give the underside a quick rinse, with the jet wash but nothing serious. Im pleased at how well she still looks for 127k miles though, i love this little car.
Thanks for the kind words Andy :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Car is looking great.

Little tip - stick those little metal inserts in when using the ratchets. Just means you've got that extra bit of protection should the ratchet mech fail.

1598476737310.png