ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Been collecting some upgrades for WZD over the winter. One of which was an improved brake package in the form of the following:

• PMS 285mm Brembo 4 pot caliper package.
  • PMS 285mm x 28mm 2 piece rotors
  • New rear brake calipers with red powder coated carriers.
  • EBC Racing RP1 front pads (Interested to try these before going back to Pagid RSL29s)
  • Pagid RS4-2 rear pads.
  • Mr Pink stainless steel pin kit.
  • PureTrack titanium shim kit.
  • Castrol SRF Racing fluid.
  • Genuine Renault Clio 197/200 Master Cylinder.

All fitted up perfectly as always by Alex @ AW Motorworks.
To anyone interested the Evo Corse X3MAs fit without the need for spacers (My 5mm spacers were left in place in the photos)

Big brakes and Toyo R888Rs in time for the snow. haha :DView attachment 1586537View attachment 1586538View attachment 1586539View attachment 1586540View attachment 1586541View attachment 1586542View attachment 1586543View attachment 1586544View attachment 1586545View attachment 1586546
And the verdict?

Edit - ignore as comments aboved appeared before mine 😄

I'll be watching these upgrades closely though as i think once the RB is on the road, the old BG needs upgrading for road/track use.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
And the verdict?

Edit - ignore as comments aboved appeared before mine 😄

I'll be watching these upgrades closely though as i think once the RB is on the road, the old BG needs upgrading for road/track use.

Lol, Jon you just sold a perfect track car with all the right bits. Ha.
To be honest i really liked my previous setup with the 29s but i found at Snetterton i was never 100% confident in standing on the brakes at the end of the back straight after a few laps. The pedal never went on me and the brakes were always there . But they were nearing their limit and psychologically they used to spook me a bit.

Also dumped 1.5kg from the disc and 5kg from the calipers/carriers so 6.5kg of unspring mass.

Last edited:

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Been collecting some upgrades for WZD over the winter. One of which was an improved brake package in the form of the following:

• PMS 285mm Brembo 4 pot caliper package.
  • PMS 285mm x 28mm 2 piece rotors
  • New rear brake calipers with red powder coated carriers.
  • EBC Racing RP1 front pads (Interested to try these before going back to Pagid RSL29s)
  • Pagid RS4-2 rear pads.
  • Mr Pink stainless steel pin kit.
  • PureTrack titanium shim kit.
  • Castrol SRF Racing fluid.
  • Genuine Renault Clio 197/200 Master Cylinder.

All fitted up perfectly as always by Alex @ AW Motorworks.
To anyone interested the Evo Corse X3MAs fit without the need for spacers (My 5mm spacers were left in place in the photos)

Big brakes and Toyo R888Rs in time for the snow. haha :DView attachment 1586537View attachment 1586538View attachment 1586539View attachment 1586540View attachment 1586541View attachment 1586542View attachment 1586543View attachment 1586544View attachment 1586545View attachment 1586546
Had a good look around this today when I dropped my inferno down to Alex. Brakes look awesome in the flesh! Pictures do them no justice!

Last edited:

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Had a good look around this today when I dropped my inferno down to Alex. Brakes look awesome in the flesh! Pictures do them no justice!

Ive not seen them on yet but the thicker discs are significantly larger than OEM and should make a huge improvement to cooling when pushed hard.
Im certainly looking forward to seeing how they feel with the correct master cylinder in place too.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Brakes do look good and it'll be intresting to hear if you think the improvement (or lack of) was worth it. Mine feel great with the standard 182 MC, or at least they did until I drove a clio 200 and the dead spot at the top of my pedal was highlighted. It's not a killer for the conversion though imo as the 4 pots still look and feel great.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Well I’ve driven it home and initial impression which I was fully prepared for was they are initially far from earth shattering, as you would expect from an all new setup.
The whole system has been off including a master cylinder swap so I’m well aware that they will want a good bedding in and another bleed, probably a few bleeds to get them 100%.
i know Alex bled them multiple times and with clip and we both knew it would take a while to get them fully bled out.
The pedal travel is at the moment slightly long as you can feel some squish in the system. However, after about 10 miles of steady medium breaking you could feel the whole lot biting up very very hard. The new rears have made a huge improvement to how planted and stable the car feels now. The biggest change is how stable the car is, you can brake from big numbers and the car is arrow straight and the feel you get back from the pedal now is very impressive. Even with the fresh setup and the need for further bleeding, the difference is significant.

So I’ll drive her for a few days and do another bleed of which hopefully will remove the squish I have at the moment.
I was worried about the colour clash of the new red calipers (only available in red when new) with the inferno paint. But now they’re on, I think they look okay.

D6836DA9-69B1-4B82-B4DF-E9BCB2BA5068.jpeg
AC862AB5-B2E7-4E0C-A821-4D9E01E45B9F.jpeg

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
Colour is spot on I think, but brakes always look better in red ✅.

look forward to having a nose around this again.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just spent ages studying all your Instagram pics. Sterling work old chap, Sterling.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Just been told my pro race won't fit over these brakes which means it's going to a expensive conversion as would need 2 sets of wheels as well. Not looking like I'll be able to do it. Really don't want to go down spaces route on track car

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed there aren’t many wheels that drop over big calipers without spacers. The X3MA that I have here and the Braid Fullrace and Fullrace C are 3 I know of that go straight on in a 15” fitment.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I run pro car 1.2 for road a pro race 3 for track I know the 3s give good clearance but the 1 2 not so good

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Driven it to work today and now covered about 50 miles all in. Still some squish at the top of the pedal due to needing another bleed (I've not re bled them yet) but Christ they feel mighty.
The rate at which it scrubs speed and the stability in doing so, and the pedal feedback is impressive. The whole car has that feeling of sucking itself to the road under braking now is very confidence inspiring.
I had my reservations about how much difference they would actually make on essentially the stock sized discs, but the difference in feel and confidence on the road is already worth the outlay. I'm not sure if this is due to the callipers alone or the fact they're now on a much thicker and more rigid disc. However, If they can maintain this level of feel and control on track then I'll be a very happy boy.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Plenty of clearance there!
Yup, i guess they were designed as a genuine competition wheel so i was quite relieved when they fitted as id hoped.
Id really like to try a set of the Braid Fullrace on there too to see if they allow even greater clearance than what i have, just to have a different set of wheels to play with. I keep flirting with the idea of flogging the Turinis and just running 15s all the time.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Popped back to Alex last night after work to give the brakes another bleed after a week of driving. Hooked up to Clip with the ABS module priming and another healthy dose of Castrol SRF, he proceeded to bleed the whole system again twice.
I'd have to drive a drive a stock car back to back but i think the dead zone is now near as dammit the same as stock but with significantly improved power and feedback through the pedal. The pedal was significantly improved and now we are back to almost OEM levels of travel. I don't think it will get any better from further bleeding either.
I would like to see if possible to re drill a pedal to move the leverage point on the pedal to reduce the travel even further but I'm not sure yet if this can be done.

All in, very pleased with the overall improvement, lets just hope they hold up on track :)

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Another great update.

There is a strong possibility I may copy this whole setup...

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think I may even copy the wheels, the total unspring mass saving would be massive.
Just photoshop my car blue. Job jobbed. 😂
The weight saving from wheels alone is huge vs 2118s.

2118 = 9.6kg
X3MA = 6.5kg.

So you’ll save 12kg in rotational weight before you get to the calipers and 2 part discs.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I agree this setup is great. I have wanted better brakes for a while now and was set on wilwoods specifically because they will fit under 2118’s.

I am running 16mm front spacers down from 25mm as they used to rub during spirited driving. May have to look at this setup now 🙂

Epic car as always

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Small update tonight.
After 2 weeks driving on the RP1s I’d decided they just weren’t feeling the way I wanted the car to feel. I used Pagid RSL 29s in the OEM calipers and I’ve used 29s in all my cars. I just like the way the Pagids feel so I’ve opted to just pull the trigger on a new set. The RSL range has been developed into improved compounds now with the addition of the RSL 2 and 2E so opted for a set of RSL 2s.
Cost the same as a Clio but the pad and rotor life is amazing so I’m happy with that.

RP1s out after just over 2 weeks lol, RSL 2s in and all was right with the world again. 😅

8C16903C-634C-47A8-A583-A6766570B240.jpeg
FF35E5C0-44A1-40A3-9611-76CEA53CFE8B.jpeg
4C741EF6-25FE-4E2B-9FEB-B048A9AC4B83.jpeg
3D7A3379-0106-4F32-80ED-4FEC70CFA4C1.jpeg
D7DF5315-5A3B-49C9-85C3-8E805CF9343A.jpeg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to update, but i decided on the weekend to sell my Turinis. Took some pics, put them up for sale and less than 24 hours later they had been paid for and gone. (GULP - what have I done!???)

I’m pretty much set on another set of X3MAs as there really isn’t anything else that fits or floats my boat.

Had an idea; mods, please delete/move as appropriate.

EVO Corse X3MA wheels - Potential group buy?
(Ideally suit members based in Essex or south east as wheels will be all sent to me. Happy for you to arrange collection if you’re further afield)

15x7
ET37
4x100
approx 6.5kg a piece

Most importantly one of the only 15” wheels to fully clear the 285mm Brembo 4 piston calipers without the need for spacers etc.

These are super strong and light weight tarmac rally wheel.

They’re available from Motorsport Tools for £681 (£720 per set delivered for one set), however they’re open to offering a discount for multiple sets. So absolute worst ways, that’s the most you would pay, well a little less actually as we would split the delivery.

They’re available in White, Satin black, Gold, Silver and Anthracite (As pictured on my car).

I have no affiliation with MST but if someone’s already interested then we have a chance of getting a better deal.

Obviously It would require full payment at point of order, but if this helps anyone out then please let me know.

Thanks.
3F02EEB0-D6FC-4FE1-99F6-C2D1BFB974FC.png

DC6A10F1-34C6-4ADC-BDCD-FA403687D34D.png

5BCDF8A3-A567-4BDB-B4C0-E504639F4090.png

92C5857E-488C-40F2-A666-8CBC6FE36198.png

1D3BA0C5-F858-4F69-A0D5-A1AD734BB4D6.png

47284B32-DEFC-4DCA-8F0C-388661598AE9.jpeg

13EFB3C5-DA7A-4807-BCC2-64467E26E774.jpeg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I love these wheels and the price is right, so tempted. It would be a bit of earache off the mrs as i have 5 sets of spare wheels cluttering up the garage already :LOL: