ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Free (well Almost) Tracking System

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If you have an old but working mobile phone, here is how you can turn it into a tracking device for your car.

The phone needs to be capable of having the ring tones, vibration and display lighting turned off.
You will need the charging lead and PAYGO sim card that will work in the phone.

Switch off the lights, ring tone and vibration alerts.

Fit the charge lead and tape/glue or clip the lead in place.

Fit the sim card and check the phone works by calling it and there are no mailboxes or diverts working. (No need to answer)

Find a place in your car where you can hide the phone and where power is available.

Under the dash is a good place, but you could hide it in the boot, under or even inside the seats. Just avoid fixing it inside a metal box section of the car.

You need to hard wire the charger to a supply. I used a cigarette lighter socket extension lead. Tape up the connection so there is no chance of a short.
Connect up to the supply.

Now register the phone on this site and follow the instructions.

http://www.followus.co.uk/

Simple, and it works. :cool:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I should have made it clear, that ideally you need to wire this to a permanent supply. If you use your car daily this should not have any effect on the cars battery.
If you dont want to take a chance, then make sure the phones battery is good and connect up via the igintion circuit.

172 mk2 Iceberg
now thats a good idea............

Dont want anyone taking my shopping trolley

Without me knowing

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Bearing in mind this was a few years ago, but has to be one chargable cal/text from the phone every 90 days.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Not big brother, your only tracking your own car if its stolen. Nobody else can do it. Its also useful if you have kids, G/F Wife, etc using the car and want to check up on them., More Big Husband/Father I suppose.

One check call every 3 months is not hugely expensive, and a lot lot cheaper than Tracker. Trackback etc. and to answer the other question about insurance companies, Yes but only approved (expensive) systems.

clio 182 black /gold
Get your insurance company to ring the phone once a month too see if the car has been stolen or not. Then thats the phone contract up todate lol.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No, it has to be an out going call from the phone!!! Also if if my car was stolen i wouldn'[t want it back.