ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Freeing seized coilovers

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
While I was having my itbs done I asked the guy doing it to wind the front of my car down a little - spax coilies fitted.

unfortunately, the fronts were seized and despite soaking them in penetrating fluid they still wouldn't budge?

Anyone any suggestions or shall I just get used to my ride height...

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Wire brush the threads and get them as clean as possible. Give the C spanner a dunt with a hammer to try and shock the lock ring free. Also might be worth taking the units off and pouring a big bottle of coke over the adjuster, I read somewhere that sometimes helps! lol

Just a couple of suggestions but i'm sure someone will be along with better ideas!

Clio 172 phase 1
Body shop degreaser soak them with it or carb/brake cleaner and let it soak in
buy it as a fluid not an aerosol it'll be dirt and s**t stuck in the threads a small pump sprayer and a good trade degreaser worked well on my mates .... Other than that oxyacetylene torch and heat up the adjuster slightly?

GTD, Lupo
I had an old set that I left in a tub full of coke! Left them for 12 hours in about 10ltrs of the stuff! As good as new after! Just don't drink the coke after!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I find a flat ended drive and a lump hammer usually works after a few squirts of penetrating fluid.

GTD, Lupo
To keep costs down on the coke go to icelands and by the 3ltr bottles for £1.50. Don't buy cheap! But it did unstick mine and I had tried almost everything!