ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French Car Show 2013

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So will we be seeing you at knockhill for the PFC show Chip?

Unlikely mate, Towing its a 10 hour each way trip from my place or 7 hours or so driving, so not really worth it for a single day event at the moment where im so busy, if they swap to a longer format like FCS are now going to though then I would certainly like to as KnockHill looks a great track, its certainly on my list of events to do at some point.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I am as I used to go to Plymouth to visit family.
Not sure why the confusion on why it can take 3-4 hours then TBH mate?

Well let's see if your right & it pays off or it will be somewhere else again next year.
Not a case of if I am right or not, more a case of if FCS are, its their gamble not mine and its them who must have done some rough estimates at numbers etc not me, I have no idea if it will work or not.
One thing I will say is that TVL which was a similar event at combe didnt managed to make enough to satisfy the people running it, but on the other hand I think FCS can probably get by on smaller profit margins than future in the first place.

Not a case of if I am right or not, more a case of if FCS are, its their gamble not mine and its them who must have done some rough estimates at numbers etc not me, I have no idea if it will work or not.
One thing I will say is that TVL which was a similar event at combe didnt managed to make enough to satisfy the people running it, but on the other hand I think FCS can probably get by on smaller profit margins than future in the first place.

They didn't estimate any numbers, they got pushed out of Donington and Combe was the only place left to book due to how late in the year it is to be booking a summer show.

Also I doubt FCS can run on smaller profits - from what I understand of previous shows it barely scrapes through covering it's own costs

It's not looking good considering the moaning people do every year and now looking on here and my own club no-one north of coventry seems to be interested. Too much money considering the price of fuel for a show that everyone usually leaves at lunchtime bored.

Not sure why the confusion on why it can take 3-4 hours then TBH mate?
I havnt seen it to that extent that's why.

I never said you have an idea if it will work or not, or it's your gamble merely just stating let's see if your right & they get it right.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They didn't estimate any numbers, they got pushed out of Donington and Combe was the only place left to book due to how late in the year it is to be booking a summer show.

Also I doubt FCS can run on smaller profits - from what I understand of previous shows it barely scrapes through covering it's own costs

It's not looking good considering the moaning people do every year and now looking on here and my own club no-one north of coventry seems to be interested. Too much money considering the price of fuel for a show that everyone usually leaves at lunchtime bored.

I mean they can manage on smaller profits than future need to consider an event viable, who were the company behind TVL which didnt keep going at combe (in fact I think this one is essentially the weekend it would have been)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What times does the show run to over the 3days? 9-5?

On their facebook page it implies its just friday evening and saturday all day and then sunday morning.

So it gives people friday early and sunday late for travelling, but obviously not everyone can afford 3 days for one event

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
All the way up north? Donnington is the midlands mate which is the same distance for us in the north east as it is Somerset.
Distance mybe but as for time to get there it was not good for us but love the road trip
anyways.
i think it's worth coming down if your staying over etc.

Renaults
Haha Diffs are not that common to go on them its the bearings that are suspect.

I will have to start getting all the stock together now with the amount of Clio V6 172 182 and 197 parts we have here. Could do with an arctic

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
I won't be going this year and I know mates local to me won't be going aswell. It needs to be in the midlands! I think this year will be the final year for French car show with the current economic climate and the fact that the show is the same old. If there barely profiting as it is anyway, this year they certinally won't. I actually liked last year at donnington alot better than rockingham.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
It will be interesting to see what actual attendance is like this year, there are a lot of people saying they aren't going!

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
It's a shame really, FCS has been around so long and been supported by so many. I can appreciate people not being able to travel etc. but can also sympathise with Mark and Co. trying to organise the event whilst trying to keep it fresh and interesting, all the while finding it harder to work with viable venues.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I've never been to FCS before, nor do I know a great deal about the history of the event, so I may well be way off the mark with my comments here, so if I say anything incorrect then I'm more than happy to be put right.

It's just that I'm struggling to understand people's comments regarding the decision to hold the event at Castle Combe, it's almost if people think they have a God-given right to attend, and that it should be in a location most suited to them.

From what I gather FCS is a commercial event run to make money, while at the same time providing enthusiasts with an enjoyable annual event. With that in mind the organisers must surely be aware that holding the event in the South West will have an impact on attendance - it is a considerable distance from Scotland, for example, but I'm sure lower attendance figures have been factored in along with all other aspects of organising a 'national' event of this size/scale.

If you can't go because you're not prepared to spend the money on fuel/ticket/camping/hotel/food etc, then that's your decision. We live in a free-market economy and your non-attendance will be represented through lower ticket sales. Having said that, there is also an unknown number of people in the SW who have never been able to attend previous events but who can now attend this year because it's more local to them.

FCS is there to make money and I'm sure if they struggle with attendance this year they'll no doubt change location to reduce the distance to a larger proportion of the enthusiast population, but give them a break for trying something new.

It will be interesting to see what actual attendance is like this year, there are a lot of people saying they aren't going!

My worry also - I don't think our club will actually even be organising a proper stand as no-one seems interested in travelling to it :(

Loads from the PUG forum not going as well.

Yup.

I've never been to FCS before, nor do I know a great deal about the history of the event, so I may well be way off the mark with my comments here, so if I say anything incorrect then I'm more than happy to be put right.

It's just that I'm struggling to understand people's comments regarding the decision to hold the event at Castle Combe, it's almost if people think they have a God-given right to attend, and that it should be in a location most suited to them.

From what I gather FCS is a commercial event run to make money, while at the same time providing enthusiasts with an enjoyable annual event. With that in mind the organisers must surely be aware that holding the event in the South West will have an impact on attendance - it is a considerable distance from Scotland, for example, but I'm sure lower attendance figures have been factored in along with all other aspects of organising a 'national' event of this size/scale.

Nope - they're pretty convinced that making it a 2 day "weekend" rather than a single day will mean everyone will make the trip down there
As I've said the location was only chosen because Donington dropped them at the last minute (or rather increased prices to make it unfeasible) and all other venues were fully booked.
I was fully pushing for FCS this year to be a static show without the track - as the track is the highest critiqued thing every year (it's like death race 2000) and anyone can book a track day for half the cost of track time at FCS anyway. But unfortunately FCS are pretty convinced that people only come for the track entertainment :(

All track based locations have a limit to the amount of shows they can do per year due to noise regulations, so if you don't get booked in a year in advance it's pretty difficult to do.

If you can't go because you're not prepared to spend the money on fuel/ticket/camping/hotel/food etc, then that's your decision. We live in a free-market economy and your non-attendance will be represented through lower ticket sales. Having said that, there is also an unknown number of people in the SW who have never been able to attend previous events but who can now attend this year because it's more local to them.

I truly don't believe this is true - the people in the SW that I've spoken to through this club and my own club went to FCS anyway - even though it was a 2-3hr trip. Same as the NW and NE used to do a 2-3hr trip as it was in the midlands. Now it's VERY local to the SW but a 5-6hr trip for the NE and NW - so effectively completely cutting off 2 massive regions. There are a LOT more people in newcastle/manchester areas than there are in devon.

FCS is there to make money and I'm sure if they struggle with attendance this year they'll no doubt change location to reduce the distance to a larger proportion of the enthusiast population, but give them a break for trying something new.

Again, you're basing your opinion entirely on the fact that this was a decision thought about and made - and not a last minute forced decision.
It was either Combe this year or they skip a year and they decided that skipping a year would be suicide.

Clio 197 f1
There will always be arguments on where it is you will never please everyone. but its the people that make the show what it is... ive been to them all since 2008 and i only go just for the laugh and its an excuse to meet your mates you don't get to see much due to distances or to save on postage when we trade...but if everyone just joined together and just said lets give it a go new place lets find out and put some effort in to it.. if it does turn out to be a bit rubbish then at least we can tell mark the problems that we noticed and why it didn't work so next year it can be improved/new venue.. i know its a pretty poor venue i mean the action days are terrible so i don't know how its gonna hold an fcs event tbh.. but we got to at least try it and give it a chance before we say its s**t..

Twingo Dynamique

Mark Dow I have said a few times now Donington doubled prices and offered fairly crap dates, one being 30/09

We have been told by the masses to avoid the quarry that is Rockingham and don't credit check them anyway or you wouldn't want to hand over money

Silverstone 100k hire

MSV don't embrace shows and wanted gate cash

Santapod is just santapod every week with different name

So where is left in UK unless we go static

I am delighted castle Combe has us as they were fully booked and managed to do a weekend for us.

Lots of Bonus with the Combe like lovely place and camping.

Rational explained

Thanks

thats off the FSC facebook page... looks like they tried, and they took advice from previous people.. i think we should just go, have a laugh, see what it's like.... its a once a year thing, surely that makes it worth going to wherever it is.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I think we ought to cut Mark & FCS some slack. I struggled to find a suitable venue for CSS, for a couple hundred of you. God knows how difficult it is finding a large affordable venue to rock up at. I think combe is a great venue choice, personally.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should be back at Brunters with no track time. The made up track wasn't the best!

Track time is the most interesting bit for a lot of us, without that for me personally its not worth going to. I dont just mean if I cant go on track myself but I mean if I have no track action to watch either.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think we ought to cut Mark & FCS some slack. I struggled to find a suitable venue for CSS, for a couple hundred of you. God knows how difficult it is finding a large affordable venue to rock up at. I think combe is a great venue choice, personally.

You'll never please everyone, personally im very pleased its at combe :)

Sprint 172
I'm looking forward to it. At first I thought "not Combe again" having spent what seems like most of my life on track there (first time just two weeks after I passed my test over 20 years ago!). But on reflection I think it should suit FCS well. I'm going to try entering the concours this year as my track days are over. Not that I stand much of chance against the highly modified examples - but it's the taking part that counts.

Renaults
I always thought the travelling was part of the day and enjoyable.

Usually I go in my own car and im attending a car show so the driving i enjoy :) Last year I was in my Megane Coupe, this year I will be in the works van.

iceberg phase 2 172
my 1st FCS this yr :) anyone who says combe track action is boring is obviously a homo , might not be the biggest track but its always flat out ... also stop moaning about the distance , its only what everyone else had to do at some point , cant please everyone though i suppose

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Here is a video of our RS2 phase 2 clio at combe to get people in the mood for it in the their clios at FCS :)

th_GOPR1216-1.jpg

And one of porkie chasing me in my turbo when it all went a bit wrong at camp in the wet, 100mph+ and sideways is certainly no boring, lol

th_lee-chip-combe.jpg