ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French Car Show 2013

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My mam lives around 10 miles from combe, I guess I'll have to just lie about wanting to visit her for the weekend and go off to FCS. Might invite a few of the lads round as well if they dnt fancy camping and want some beer

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know some of the locals will disagree with me like mad - but after watching chips videos again *yaaawn*. It's such a boring track

I think you need to go and try quarry and camp to see why a couple of simple looking right hand bends are so rewarding to get just right. But you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Also to me its more about how much you can gain on the person in front, because the layout is quite simple and it flows quite quickly the difference between someone nailing the right lines and not seems to show up a lot, I have more fun there chasing slightly quicker cars than I have on any other circuit I think, again you need to try it to see.

Like here, me in a mk1 valver taking the entire lap to finally reel in a civic just by taking little chunks out of him on each bend, its just slightly more "race" feeling than a lot of trackdays (although you arent meant to be racing, lol)

th_combe-lap-clio.jpg

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
By the way for anyone not used to Combe, if you drive hard there you will go through passenger side tyres about 3 times as quickly as drivers side, even the pass rear will wear more than the drivers front.

So if you have two tyres better tread left than the other two, instead of the natural thing most people would do of putting the best two on the front, put them both on the pass side!

Cooksport Fleet
I personally think its going to be awesome at Combe! (and its only half hour from me)

We are probably going to take up a few race cars for passenger laps. (depending on what we have at the time)

We are also going to have some cars on display :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should think your turbo megane would go down well at Combe Josh?

Cant think of much that would be able to beat that around there!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice, what sort of times will do that do round there then?
Im guessing 1:15-16 ish if you are on slicks and based on the fact Im led to believe that unlike old farts like me pottering about you actually have some talent?

Cooksport Fleet
Nice, what sort of times will do that do round there then?
Im guessing 1:15-16 ish if you are on slicks and based on the fact Im led to believe that unlike old farts like me pottering about you actually have some talent?

Good guess lol! Yeah between 1.15-1.16. Depending on the usual.

Your wrong about the talent bit though... I just close my eyes and keep it flat!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm hoping to nail a 1:19.9999 eventually on road legal tyres there in my clio turbo, but its only on basic suspension upgrades and still has a radio and all sound deadening and back seats etc, ie its genuinely a road car not a race car with number plates like some people trackday, so Im not sure if I will ever manage it or not.

If not, I'll do it in the mk1 when thats built which should be a lot quicker but thats more a track car thats road legal not a road car thats ok on track.

No grown up reason for that, its all very childish and is just cause one of my best mates got 1:20 in his Astra that I mapped for him and I want to beat it, lol.

Cooksport Fleet
The 172 cup is stripped completely, apart from dash (and radio), front door cards and a pair of buckets. Too loud for long journeys!

I think you will get under the 1.20. Just have some brave pills before hand!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The 172 cup is stripped completely, apart from dash (and radio), front door cards and a pair of buckets. Too loud for long journeys!

Im sure that will go well then, they are capable cars anyway and some decent suspension takes loads of seconds off the laptime, epsecially round camp as an extra 15mph there means more pace for the whole straight.

I think you will get under the 1.20. Just have some brave pills before hand!

Hopefully if I can get a traffic free lap.
Maybe at RS Combe, the standard of other cars is higher there so less likely to hold me up.
(RS as in ford I mean, we always do that day too)

Cooksport Fleet
Im sure that will go well then, they are capable cars anyway and some decent suspension takes loads of seconds off the laptime, epsecially round camp as an extra 15mph there means more pace for the whole straight.

Hopefully if I can get a traffic free lap.
Maybe at RS Combe, the standard of other cars is higher there so less likely to hold me up.
(RS as in ford I mean, we always do that day too)

Hopefully I will bring them both up! We will have some other cars on the stand too :)

Chatting to Mark I think they are having 20 cars max on the track at once (don't quote me on that though), if so, there will be plenty of space!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm sure its more like 40 on an action day.

Maybe it's a case of different noise limit just for a certain number of days like a lot of tracks have.

Will pop over and say hi josh :)

Cooksport Fleet
Not a clue, I always thought Combe was nearing 35ish, but maybe he was using 20 as an example in context lol!

Yeah do mate, have to come out in some race cars :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not a clue, I always thought Combe was nearing 35ish,

Yeah ive definately been out there with that sort of number of cars on action days, if not more.

but maybe he was using 20 as an example in context lol!

It said 20 on the facebook pages too, so it does seem to be the number.
Maybe its for noise reasons like mentioned, good for lap times if there are less people on track but also less interesting as less to overtake etc

Yeah do mate, have to come out in some race cars :)

Well Im hoping to book up both the open pitlane sessions and a few other sessions so no sure how much time I will have for passenger rides, but I'll try and grab you at llandow for one first anyway :)

Cooksport Fleet
I know some of the locals will disagree with me like mad - but after watching chips videos again *yaaawn*. It's such a boring track

I agree its not the best track ever, there are worse in the UK though!

It's a very fast circuit and there isn't much run off, which makes it a bit more exciting :)

I agree its not the best track ever, there are worse in the UK though!

It's a very fast circuit and there isn't much run off, which makes it a bit more exciting :)

LOL In my previous experience there for "car show" days like FCS - more exciting = lots of people going home on recovery trucks
It's not a very forgiving track for people who misjudge it :(

clio sold :(
Im hoping to have a pop out on track. First time ..
From all the posts about ppl needing recovery trucks. Be prepared to see my clio crawling round in last

Clio 1.2
A video made by myself to promote FCS

My first video so be nice :p

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 1.2
Thanks mate, it was very last minute haha had to learn the basics on how to use the software then it was just go from there, all the videos are taken from Youtube so I only had what was on there :)

WRX
For a first go I think it's really good, just from the show's perspective - the footage you've used doesn't sell it that much. (Far better than I could do though so fair play lol)

Clio 172
Im hoping to go if i can get it off from work. I will be coming from the midlands and its about a 2.5 hour drive for me. No probs if you are doing a weekend of it though. plus i'm goin to the Ring in May so am used to long drives

Unlucky Alf

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
Just like last year, i said I might not go, and now I'm wanting to go. Still plenty of time to sort it yet anyway :D