ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French VS JAP

Clio 172 cup
I love my Clio, no denying it .......... But my Integra before my 172 cup i found a lot more reliable. Is there any one else that's a little fed up with throwing money at this car!? I've spent ALOT of money on so much and it continuously goes wrong. I reckon if Renault manufactured this car as it is my own it would be a beast but would cost the EU another K or 2.....this is a moan thread!

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Only solution is to get rid of the car & walk, cars break, they're all s**t but brilliant at the same time

Clio 172 cup
I don't think I can afford the insurance for another year on my cup. Any one tempted by my 172 cup just been serviced the other day (stamped) 50k. ITG panel filter (not induction) fits in original renault casing, short shift. Jan speed decat (both lambda sensors screwed in and working) - not a tape job, no warning lights. (brand new HT leads). Recent MOT ie the other day literally. Original cat and original gear linkage with car. I've upgraded the engine mounts (polyurethane) as advised by you guys on the forum. I've put the trophy/v6 washers on top of the struts. I think that's about it. Any questions please PM me. Danton.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Sounds like it's a decent example but I'd prefer to stick with my trusty mk1 :cool:

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Much more fun though ;) I still prefer it over a trophy and I ragged the arse off that car, was quite underwhelmed

But if we're talking about french v jap I'd take my old corolla gt over the lot, I miss that car sooo much :(

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
No, a mk1 1995 1.8 16v clio to be precise ;)

Don't get me wrong, they're good cars, I like them but would I actually pay, with real money I've worked for to buy 1? Not a chance, not worth the extra money in my humble opinion

Clio 172 cup
fair do's mate....... But, don't you get that voice in your head saying "well i've got the 1.8, i might as well go all out?!" the 1.8 is so tame compared to the sports.....

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
It's a marketing thing, the valvers were built at the RS factory in dieppe so they are RS clios, just don't need to advertise it with a badge ;)

The voice in my head that wants to go faster is saying get the hell away from pokey french hatches & go for some volvo powered lunacy

Clio 172 cup
....Well I can tell from a 1.8 from a 172 cup any ways. I'm tired now and I'm off to bed. I'm open to offers.....But don't take thepish.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Good luck with the sale then mate, although it's probably a good idea to put a thread up in the for sale section ;)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Never had any problems with any of my rs's. It's all about buying a good 1 in the first place. People pore money into jap cars aswell, scoobys, rx7, integra's. It's the way ya drive and take care of them.

53 Clio's & counting
Funny, my Clio has done 135k , over 40k by me, its been looked after but driven hard, now on itb's , its still on its original clutch, and in the 3 1/2 years iv had it, its cost me less than any other car iv owned, and iv never owned a car for over a year lol

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Funny, my Clio has done 135k , over 40k by me, its been looked after but driven hard, now on itb's , its still on its original clutch, and in the 3 1/2 years iv had it, its cost me less than any other car iv owned, and iv never owned a car for over a year lol

+1

My old 1.2 Clio went up to 140K (100K of it by me) with nothing more than routine servicing and a few consumables (wheel bearing, exhaust and battery iirc), but original gear box, clutch and engine.

On the other hand, the most unreliable car I've owned was a 'bullet proof' Passat.

It's how the car is looked after typically unless you are very unlucky and get a complete dog of a Friday afternoon car.

Buy a car with FSH which has been owned by someone who has treated it well, and most cars will see 200K with no issue.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
C'mon mate, I know it's a pain in the ass when car is costing you, but surely you knew Renaults are made of gingerbread when you got it!!!

Polo + Micra
i'm glad i moved away from renault tbh

i had nothing but problems with my clio i was glad to see the back of it

i've got a focus that is 10 years old and done 189,000 miles and is less annoying to drive than the clio ever was.

Ph1
I love my Clio, no denying it .......... But my Integra before my 172 cup i found a lot more reliable. Is there any one else that's a little fed up with throwing money at this car!? I've spent ALOT of money on so much and it continuously goes wrong. I reckon if Renault manufactured this car as it is my own it would be a beast but would cost the EU another K or 2.....this is a moan thread!

What issues have you had ?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Used car buyings a lottery. Hondas can and do break aswell althought the general consensus is they are more reliable on the whole which they probably are

LOL at complaining about a car constantly breaking, then trying to sell it in the same thread.

Evo 6, E92 320d
My clio has been spot on for the past year, now i have a 200sx as well. So far so good, the main thing i will comment on is the jap cars(that i've been in) have a far superior driving position.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
You've got that quote a bit out of context there m8 :rolleyes: also didn't take any note of my reply to that comment either :rolleyes:

How anyone can call a valver tame is beyond me :rolleyes:

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
never had a problem with either of my RS, then i got the vx220 n the timing chain tensioner went on it, ... tbh id have german now every time

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i dont think the vx220 can be classed as anything other than a complete midge modge of design and engineering lol

TT has been faultless
z4's door stoped working, new £7 cable n jobs a gooden