ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Shock Bolts

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Evening All,

I've got a fresh set of cup shocks and Grams springs arriving next week, so thought i'd take the old standard front shocks/springs off today.

Drivers side came off a treat., however the passenger side is a right git to get off.

The top mounts are off, car is on axle stands but the two shocker bolts are causing me no end of pain. I've left to soak overnight with penetrating fluid, tried a (battery powered) impact gun & snapped a breaker bar with no movement at all from the bolts.

What are these torqued up to from the factory and any tips on getting them off? The spring is snapped so driving to a garage with air tool isn't ideal.

Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Evening All,

I've got a fresh set of cup shocks and Grams springs arriving next week, so thought i'd take the old standard front shocks/springs off today.

Drivers side came off a treat., however the passenger side is a right git to get off.

The top mounts are off, car is on axle stands but the two shocker bolts are causing me no end of pain. I've left to soak overnight with penetrating fluid, tried a (battery powered) impact gun & snapped a breaker bar with no movement at all from the bolts.

What are these torqued up to from the factory and any tips on getting them off? The spring is snapped so driving to a garage with air tool isn't ideal.

Cheers
175 iirc. Shouldnt be that bad and an ugga dugga should definitely remove them. Try warming them up slightly, you're lefty loosening, right?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I did mine last week. 2 foot breaker bar and a blow torch were needed. Heat is king!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If all fails, remove the balljoint, undo the driveshaft nut (although you might struggle as these are 275nm!), remove TRE and then pull the whole hub off.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Just going to throw it out there....

You could always buy new ones from Renault and cut the old ones off. I know they was still available and was around £5 a bolt.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Aye, I've got a fresh set of bolts for each corner coming too. So worst case scenario, i'll cut through them.

There's some good pointers here, plenty to try over the coming week. I appreciate it guys