ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Frozen Lake

FOCUS ST 275
Went for a drive today and found that Llyn Bran had frozen over.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Old building, had something to do with the lake, no idea what tho.

Most of these pics havent come through very clear or sharp enough for my liking.

any tips on where i have gone wrong?

C

clvs2222

did you step on the lake? see how frozen it actually was? lol

A4 Avant
The frozen lake is cool. As said a wide angle would have benefited you.

The canal near my work had frozen over this morning.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
yeah thats mint would love to take the dog on that! bambi on ice!

FOCUS ST 275
Did you try walking on it? lol

I've been watching Ice Road Truckers a bit, was tempted to do some Ice Lake 182'ing.

Was Frozen up good, someone had thrown a nice stone onto the ice and it never went through.

1) whats a wide angle lens?
2) what would it do?

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Driving on ice would be awesome! Had a go on a pushbike on a frozen pond up by me the other day! scary stuff!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I've been watching Ice Road Truckers a bit, was tempted to do some Ice Lake 182'ing.

Was Frozen up good, someone had thrown a nice stone onto the ice and it never went through.

1) whats a wide angle lens?
2) what would it do?

If you have a SLR you can change the Lenses and a Wide Angle Lens would have given you a Nice Panoramic Pic of the Lake and Surrounding Hills etc.

FOCUS ST 275
1000D is what i have.
Standard Lens.
Just cant get the pics to be good for some reason.
Take the 2nd pic, trees in backdround aint sharp enough for me, wayy to blurry.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Well for that second photo you're at ISO 800 and a shutter speed of 1/60th second. Hand held any slight movement will cause a drop in sharpness. You've also got to consider what the camera is focusing on and the light metering. If it's trying to compensate for all the light frost it may have underexposed the trees and lost the detail.

The technical detail in what I've written may be off, but it makes sense in my head lol.

Arctic 182FF
Most of these pics havent come through very clear or sharp enough for my liking.

any tips on where i have gone wrong?

i would also say you've probably got the aperture set a tad high (F22 on pics 2 and 3). Due to some mystical beast called diffraction this can cause images to be soft - have a gander here, its a bit hardcore in places but should give an idea.

and related to Ian's post above by say selecting F11 instead of F22 would have let more light in to reach the sensor which would have resulted in a faster shutter speed = less chance of any camera shake while handholding (or you could have got away with lower iso)

sticking numbers in this thingy here (your camera will come under 450D/400D... option) will give you an idea just how much depth of field is possible with certain F-stops especially when using your lens at the wider (18mm) end.