ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel pump noise, someone diagnose it for me? Video inside

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Right I asked about this a while back but was only able to describe the noise, I have now taken a video of it

What you are listening for is the high pitched whine that happens every 10 secs or so

Can anyone tell me what is causing it? This is the second brand new fse pump as I thought it was a faulty pump originally. Here's the vid

9012211c.mp4

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I got the Vid by right clicking it and opening the URL in a new window. Pardon my ignorance but I don't know your car, its spec, etc so can you tell me how the fuel system is setup? Sounds like the pump is starting up every 10 secs and then stopping... that being the case it could be a wiring problem or just how the pump functions if it is governed by a built in pressure regulator.

Sorry about the link, posted it using my phone so wasn't sure if it would work.

The fuel system is:

Uprated walbro pump
Weber fuel pressure regulator
Braided fuel pipes from bulkhead forwards

Car has no reserve tank either

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So its an "uprated" in-tank pump feeding an external, mechanically set pressure regulator. A couple of things:

1. Have you got a model number for the fuel pump so I can track it down on'tinternet?
  2. Have you put a volt meter across the terminals yet to see that its got a nice, steady power supply?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay so some homework shows that Merlins "AOR034" is actually a Walbro "ITP147" which is a direct replacement Renault pump rather than an "Uprated" unit (in an increased flow rate sense at least). Check the power then check the breathers are not blocked and, if you have them, check the non-return valves are fitted correctly.

Right cheers for all the info and help

I do know that the breather is blocked as the car came like that and I never changed it as I don't have a carbon canister

I thought it could be this initially as it sounds as if there is a pressure build up which then gets released, I thought opening the petrol cap would rule this out as the cause? I did that and it still made the same noise?