ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Full engine rebuild time but what to have!?

Clio 172 phase 1
Hi guys okay so in a month it'll be time for a new car, but I don't want to go and fork out 15k on an evo that I'm just gonna want to drive like the clio so I've decided to take 7k and completely re do the clio after all a clio with a zero mileage engine appeals to me more than an evo with 50-60k ...... But what do I do I've set aside 1.5k for a full cage I'm having the whole body inside and out painted as I'm lucky enough to know some one who will do it for materials only, but then comes engine.... I'm bored of the standard power and would like something naughty but reliable! The car is used everyday but it's not designed for comfort it's designed to be a track car that I have to use everyday ATM until I get a works van :) ..... What would you do I've seen engine dynamics do full engine refreshes they any good? Was thinking engine build 2 and itbs ? Or there 280hp turbo conversion ? What would you spend money on ? I'd like to see around 240bhp as I feel that's where I need to be power wise and a decent amount of torque.... Who does custom builds? Who do I trust and go to ? ....... Please leave any info you may have also I don't want to go back standard so no complete standard builds as for me it's just not what I wanna spend 5k on .......... Also budget would be 4k on a tight one but would go up to around 5 if had to :)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Is 4k budget just for the engine or does it have to include a gearbox that will let you use 230+ bhp or do you have another £1500 set aside for that ?

Clio 172 phase 1
4k is just engine have other money for gear box however untill im decided on either high comp itb set up or turbo conversion then i wont know what im doing clutch and box wise ..... would be looking at spending around 6-7k in total on cage painting ( which is only goong to be about £500 in materials ) and the rest on an engine box and some one to build it etc.... budgeted £1200 on cage ) ... but obv id like to only spend 4-5k not nearly 6 ..... ive been thinking high comp with 422 cams better valve springs supertech valves and an itb set up.... that sets me around 4200 but then all fitted and mapped possibly around 5k ... but wonder what sort of power itd produce .... or if id be better with an engine dynamics turbo kit .... g box ill probs go gripper diff and helix 6 paddle clutch of turboed but itb prob find a 4 paddle sprung plate ...its gotta be reliable as well and also needs to stand up to abuse of say hard track days.... i want it to last :)

Clio 172 phase 1
His stage 3 kit looks great if i choose turbo thatll be what i go for what sorta power does it make i wonder

Clio 172 phase 1
Id love the evo but it just wont be ad fun as the clio ... and ill end up paying like 15k for it and still wanna mess about with it.... so gonna stick with the pocket rocket :) .... as much as i love the sound of throttle bodies and cams looks like its going to have to be a turbo as bodies means cams,valves,springs, loads more stuff just to get it to be a bit better where as a turbo wont sound as cool as bodies but is gonna be like 600 cheaper ... buuut added torque means im gonna constsntly have gearbox and shaft issues

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Id love the evo but it just wont be ad fun as the clio ... and ill end up paying like 15k for it and still wanna mess about with it.... so gonna stick with the pocket rocket :) .... as much as i love the sound of throttle bodies and cams looks like its going to have to be a turbo as bodies means cams,valves,springs, loads more stuff just to get it to be a bit better where as a turbo wont sound as cool as bodies but is gonna be like 600 cheaper ... buuut added torque means im gonna constsntly have gearbox and shaft issues

Just as long as you know that'll you'll never get the money back then crack on mate. The clio will be a weapon!

Clio 172 phase 1
Sadly i know id never see that cash again but its going to be a brand new car when its finished and only owe me half of say a new fiesta price :)

Clio 172 phase 1
What sorta power will you get off this kit ? 230-280bhp?? Man a 280bhp clio would be an animal would be amazing to have nearly 300bhp on tap and also very nifty lol ...

Clio 172 phase 1
320!! Any one confirm this and with what gear box set up they use and ultimatly is it reliable? Or will it all end in 4grands worth of tears

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think you'd be interested in a high-comp NA ITB build mate. You'd run out of budget and be nowhere near the 240bhp you are looking for. For the money you have and figures you are looking for, you'd be better off getting a low-boost turbo build with good spec components I think.

172 cup, Impreza P1
320!! Any one confirm this and with what gear box set up they use and ultimatly is it reliable? Or will it all end in 4grands worth of tears

Andy maybe? Email or pm him and he'll gladly answer all your questions.

There would be no guarantees at that power level for box reliability.mwill come down to use and mechanical sympathy and a dash of luck. I'm aiming for the 340 mark and plan so see what the standard box will take before going o2m.